Has Dick seen the LIGHT?

It has been reported that Dick Jauron was as responsible as anyone in the front office for the TO signing. This got me thinking in my idle moments over the weekend, MAYBE Dick has seen the light. We ALL know how adverse Dick has been in the past to taking ANY risk. He has been more conservative than the most conservative bean counter up to this point. The TO signing has to be the riskiest move of his coaching career. Does this move signal a profound change in his philosophy or was this just a total BS marketing move? I think we will know the answer to that question after the 1st game.

It has been reported that Dick Jauron was as responsible as anyone in the front office for the TO signing. This got me thinking in my idle moments over the weekend, MAYBE Dick has seen the light. We ALL know how adverse Dick has been in the past to taking ANY risk. He has been more conservative than the most conservative bean counter up to this point. The TO signing has to be the riskiest move of his coaching career. Does this move signal a profound change in his philosophy or was this just a total BS marketing move? I think we will know the answer to that question after the 1st game.

If it looks like desperation, smells like desperation ...

At first I thought it was Jauron also,but it wasn't. although he had input into it as did Ralph Wilson,it was Russ Brandon who initially started everything AFTER he received a text from Trent Edwards about TO being released.

It really was a good move for the Bills, TO has been one of the top receivers in the NFL the last few years and it will help both Edwards and Lee Evans and the entire passing game. Not to mention season ticket sales went up after he signed.

Would it be a good thing for Dick to see the light?

I thought most Dicks are best suited for dark, moist places.

Bada bing!

I'll be here through thursday. Please don't forget to tip your waitress.

:worthy:

I don't think it would be a good Idea to take pay based on attendance. :beer:

This was a no-brainer. For the Bills management to sit pat and do nothing to improve THE weakest link on offense would have incited fans to come to games with pitchforks and torches. Quite frankly, I'm surprised they actually had the cajones to go out and get Owens.

Now they need to get a pass rusher, TE and resolve the continuing Peters saga.

Dick will never see the light. What the marketing Dept saw was a chance to sell tickets, and to use DJ as the person who wanted him so bring his approval rating up a little bit witht he fans who soo much wanted him fired after blowing a 5-1 start and going 0-6 in the division. TO does bring what the offense needs but its only a bandaid and not a longterm fix. The major problem we have going into this offseson is the OL/TE situtaion:

LT= Peters hold out possible trade if hes gone who is the replacement

LG= NOONE Dockery was cut Bell/Chambers might fill in HUH?????

C= Hangaretner anyones an upgrade over the previous two but no back up C either

RG= Butler Alot of people want him upgraded

RT- Langston Walker the only sure starter going into next season

TE= No starter on our roster at the moment.

So here we are two years after we signed dockery and walker to sure up our OL that we are in a potentially worse situation then we were then with our OL so that makes me wonder how long will trent stay healthy after being knocked on his back so much and how often are they going to be willing to throw it when they show they cannot blcok the pass rush. This is not specualtion either they couldnt stop the pass rush last season either.

1. Dick will never see the light. What the marketing Dept saw was a chance to sell tickets, and to use DJ as the person who wanted him so bring his approval rating up a little bit witht he fans who soo much wanted him fired after blowing a 5-1 start and going 0-6 in the division. TO does bring what the offense needs but its only a bandaid and not a longterm fix. The major problem we have going into this offseson is the OL/TE situtaion:

2. So here we are two years after we signed dockery and walker to sure up our OL that we are in a potentially worse situation then we were then with our OL so that makes me wonder how long will trent stay healthy after being knocked on his back so much and how often are they going to be willing to throw it when they show they cannot blcok the pass rush. This is not specualtion either they couldnt stop the pass rush last season either.

1. THE weakest link in the Bills offense was WR. Specifically, it was another WR to take the double coverage off Evans. Sure, TO is part marketing. The NFL is a business and marketing is part of every business. The acquisition of TO addresses both issues. This is Jauron's last shot and he knows it regardless of whether you or I think he sees the light or not. If the Bills are 2-6 at mid season, don't be surprised if he gets replaced right then and there. If the Bills miss the playoffs, ditto.

2. After an admittedly bad start, the Bills OL finished up the 2nd half of the season doing a very respectable job of picking up the pass rush and blitzes. They still had problems opening holes for the running game, but really improved their pass blocking. There is always risk involved in replacing OL players.

Give the spell checker a shot.

If it looks like desperation, smells like desperation ...

I disagree, on both counts.

Desperation would have been paying him $10 Mil/year, signing him for 4 years, or...really...desperation would be going after Plaxico, or Pacman.

Is is a calculated move, perfectly designed and executed (a real shocker there, to tell the truth) designed to give this team a kick-start, allow the young WRs some time to develop, and give Edwards a legitimate opportunity to show what he's got. It's also possible they made the move to give the Bills a little legitimacy, for a couple of FAs or trades, they are/were considering.

I can't see how any of that hurts the team, or how it can be considered a desperation move. It's one of the few moves that shows some sack, from the Bills.

1. THE weakest link in the Bills offense was WR. Specifically, it was another WR to take the double coverage off Evans. Sure, TO is part marketing. The NFL is a business and marketing is part of every business. The acquisition of TO addresses both issues. This is Jauron's last shot and he knows it regardless of whether you or I think he sees the light or not. If the Bills are 2-6 at mid season, don't be surprised if he gets replaced right then and there. If the Bills miss the playoffs, ditto.

2. After an admittedly bad start, the Bills OL finished up the 2nd half of the season doing a very respectable job of picking up the pass rush and blitzes. They still had problems opening holes for the running game, but really improved their pass blocking. There is always risk involved in replacing OL players.

Give the spell checker a shot.

No time for spell checker.

I think you got it backwards the Running game improved in the second half of the season not the pass blocking.

If Dick Jauron said this just once...

...after a lifeless and uninspired losing Bills' performance, then I'd think some neurons were actually beginning to fire in his zombie-like brain.

Would it be a good thing for Dick to see the light?

I thought most Dicks are best suited for dark, moist places.

Bada bing!

I'll be here through thursday. Please don't forget to tip your waitress.

:wallbash:

:thumbsup:

Nice

Had TO not been released, the Bills off-season plan would have been a backup QB, former backup OL, a released DB from Jacksonville, and someone from KC defense who Michael Turner carried for 5 yards.

I like the TO signing, but let's be serious here. The Bills rebuilding plan has been so bad and slow that they have to sign TO and kick the tires on Jason Taylor. With each off-season, Donahoe is less at fault for the state of this team. Atlanta and Miami overcame bad regimes in one season. OTOH, the Bills had three off-seasons and one of the easiest schedules in the league last year and couldn't improve. If they couldn't improve with those facts, it's going to be tough sledding this year.

DJ and has assistants will not change their ways because DJ allegedly stuck his neck out to get TO. I still think Brandon was behind this more than anyone. But that's speculative.

No time for spell checker.

I think you got it backwards the Running game improved in the second half of the season not the pass blocking.

If that is what you think, fine.

But here are the facts regarding pass blocking:

Buffalo QB Sack Count 2008

Games 1-8: 23 times

Games 9-16: 15 times

No time for stats, either? :thumbsup:

Had TO not been released, the Bills off-season plan would have been a backup QB, former backup OL, a released DB from Jacksonville, and someone from KC defense who Michael Turner carried for 5 yards.

I like the TO signing, but let's be serious here. The Bills rebuilding plan has been so bad and slow that they have to sign TO and kick the tires on Jason Taylor. With each off-season, Donahoe is less at fault for the state of this team. Atlanta and Miami overcame bad regimes in one season. OTOH, the Bills had three off-seasons and one of the easiest schedules in the league last year and couldn't improve. If they couldn't improve with those facts, it's going to be tough sledding this year.

DJ and has assistants will not change their ways because DJ allegedly stuck his neck out to get TO. I still think Brandon was behind this more than anyone. But that's speculative.

If you agree that a good motivator can bring out the very best in people, then I think you would also agree that DJ is most definitely NOT a good motivator. Look, some people are brilliant at what they do and are experts in their field, but are positively horrible motivators. You either are or you aren't. Jauron seems to be either unwilling or unable to do what is necessary to generate a positive impact on the Bills. Different reasons maybe, same results.

You are right about last season. That was the time to rise to the occasion, especially after a 5-1 start. If there was a rake anywhere on the horizon, Jauron stepped on it. Maybe it was Fewell's defense giving up another 7 or 8 minute game killing drive, or maybe it was Schonert calling for consecutive pass plays inside the 20 when the running game just cranked off 80 yards. Either way, Jauron's in charge. The upcoming game schedule is suicidal, TO or not. I'm not convinced that Jauron and Schonert have any plan other than, "Throw the ball to TO".

Miami and Atlanta had coaches that had very specific plans, analyzed their players and developed game plans around the player's strengths rather than pounding square pegs in round holes and stepping on rakes. Jauron seems to habitually keep doing the same things over and over again.

If you always do what you always did,

you always get what you always got.

In this case, it's probably another 7-9 season.