PFW Bills "desperately" want to avoid trading Peters

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IMHO, if the front office hasn't made any progress with him before the draft, I think they will move him, because I'm not sure they feel they can risk another extended holdout.

Again, just my opinion.

the front office would actually have to talk to Peters agent to make progress

so forget anything getting done before the draft.

they will trade him for fewer picks than he is worth (some of which will be next year)- then promptly butcher those picks due to incompetent talent evaluation

Here is my take on Jason Peters contract value and it is all hypothetcial but based on logic:

If a team that plans on drafting one of the top two Left OT's (J Smith and E Monroe) felt he was worthy of being the highest paid OT, then you'd think they would be willing to trade their first round pick (2-6) or the OT they actually pick to the Bills straight up. Their logic would be he is worthy of being the highest paid OT and is a proven commodity and the draft pick is not. Peters and the draft pick's contract would be similar if #1 or #2 pick (assuming 7% bump over last year's pick) and definitely more than if 4-6 (I doubt KC wants an OT).

We'll see, but I would highly doubt that anybody that could get J Smith or E Monroe would trade them for Jason Peters straight up. If it does then Peters is not over vauling himself and others feel the same way about him as he does. I say, No.

More plausible for me is the team that picks Oher for Peters. They may have to throw in a 3rd or 4th to send to the Bills and bet that with a new contract Peters will revert to '07 form for 5-7 more years. The Bills would get a similarly questionable type of mental make-up guy that is also very talented OT but has not proven he can play LOT in the NFL and a pick. I would not nexecssarily prefer this but can understand why they don;t want to give Peters $11-$12/year with lots up front in his pocket.

The worst scenario is the Bills trade Peters and end up with E Britton or the OT from U Conn. One is a ROT and the other will take 1-2years to develop.

Peace. Go Bills!

Peters is a proven player. A draft pick is not definite by any means. Is this team rebuilding or a team ready to emerge?

Rebuilding teams can trade stars for draft picks. Why would a team that is already willing to take a risk on TO, now want to risk a patchwork offensive line? The whole thing is stupid, Ralph has the coin and the cap room. Pay the man.

Fina wasn't Howard Ballard, but he wasn't that bad. Like a lot of guys, his play declined as the talent around him declined...he was pretty decent early in his Buffalo career.

Fina had some good years - if I recall correctly, 1995, 1997 (despite the suckiness of the Collins-led offense overall), and 1998.

I'd much rather prefer we keep Peters. I really hope that they can close the gap. I know players don't like incentives, but I think Buffalo would be more inclined to give him a huge deal if it contains incentive clauses like playing time/starts, workout bonuses, low sacks allowed totals, and pro bowl berths.

THe bills have too many holes to fill without creating more...if they trade Peters they should never have signed owens because there's no chance they're going to be successful this year

Don't get me wrong, I REALLY don't want the Bills to trade Peters, HOWEVER the O-line played BETTER while he held out than the 1st 4 or 5 games after he came back. Players are INJURED all the time, so I look at a hold out the same as an injury. I think the Bills will be a BETTER team next year with or without Peters than they were in 08. That is UNLESS Trent misses significant playing time due to injury.

Don't get me wrong, I REALLY don't want the Bills to trade Peters, HOWEVER the O-line played BETTER while he held out than the 1st 4 or 5 games after he came back. Players are INJURED all the time, so I look at a hold out the same as an injury. I think the Bills will be a BETTER team next year with or without Peters than they were in 08. That is UNLESS Trent misses significant playing time due to injury.

The bills don't have enough talent to consistently throw away starters on the o-line

This team is a cluster!@#$

Last year we saw a new OC & new OL coach. This would have meant that there would have been entirely new systems, plays, play calls etc, etc, etc to learn. As everyone keeps pointing out, JP is not the sharpest tool in the shed. This means he might physically have been able to jump directly back in at a top level......but mentally.....having missed all of pre-season....it would have been an entirely different story.

The hold out ended up being nothing like an injury in this instance. I'd imagine that if he does hold out to a similar point this year as he did last year he will come into the games far better prepared as he already has experience with the offense from last seasons play.

I definitely agree. If we can't get an extension agreed to in the next two weeks, than we need to start shopping Peters because whoever we are going to trade him to will need time to sign him to an extension as well. Noone will want to trade for him in a matter of 5 minutes while we are on the clock because that team will also have no idea whether they will be able to sign him to a deal that will keep him from holding out.

The team can not keep him past the draft without getting an extension done now. It would be totally irresponsible of the front office to not put our team in the best position to fill Peters spot in the draft if we can not sign him longterm. We have to move on now one way or another.

I have to disagree. Peters is aware of this pressure, and will likely maintain his stance about salary through the draft. If he is still a Bill after the draft, he has to start thinking about another year or two at $3 million / year. It is only after the draft that he is likely to make concessions, or big ones, anyway.

Both sides are under pressure, but the pressure on Peters takes a big step up after the draft. The Bills are aware of this.

And as noted, the really good OTs are likely to be long gone by #11 anyway.

I completely agree...and I fully expect this to happen.

My honest opinnion is that Peters does not want to be in Buffalo and that is why he keeps playing hard ball with the FO despite the FO always taking care of him prior to last year. I think he is making these demands knowing the FO won't cave into it, especially after last years showing, as a move to get him traded. I would not be at all surprised to see him traded and then he signs for LESS than he is demanding from Buffalo.

Evidence that leads me to think this is this:

1. He showed up in terrible shape, indicating he wasnt going to be ready to play even if he got his contract last year...

2. He cut off all communication with the FO last year

3. He has played hard ball with the front office both years that isnt known to give in to such tactics. Especially after how Evans went about his contract in comparison, and he got his payday.

So, I have no doubt the office will not pay him what he wants (nor do I think they should), and I have a really hard time seeing JP lowering his unreasonable demands after such a subpar year...so I just dont see how we keep him.

Nobody, but nobody outside the boards has said that Peters showed up out of shape. In fact, they said the opposite. But if you don't go to camp, there's no real way to get used to NFL-level contact. Peters wasn't ready for that last year, but there's no way to get ready for it. Bruce Smith was the same way. He'd show up in excellent shape but still have fairly bad games early in the season as his body adapted.

Lets not forget that his agent is one of the biggest dickheads out there and some teams refuse to even draft players when they find out he is their agent.

I'm fed up with his agent and his greedy attitude,screw them both I say. and let him sit with no money. He signed a contract,let him honor it :beer:

He is one of the best players at his position in the NFL when he wants to be, but honestly if the Bills can put someone else into his position for the season I'd say play hardball with the guy and make him sit out and lose money. Make an example of him or others will want to do the same darn thing. The Bills have him locked up for 2 more years and then can franchise him after his contract expires,if the new CBA gets worked out.

IMHO news like this is leaked to increase his trade value (we really don't want him to go but if you trade us your #1 draft pick for the next ten years we might reconsider, see the Cutler drama). It basicly puts the ball back in the JP camp, if they bring out the story that he really isnt happy with what is offered etc then it will be trade time soon enough.

That's one way to look at it, but another way, just as legitimate, is that this is all leaked as part of ongoing negotiations.

The bottom line is that the Bills would be absolutely crazy if they WEREN'T desperately trying to avoid trading Peters. The PFW story is obviously right. Even without a source it is obvious. They can trade him just as easily next year if it comes to that.

Rookies don't work out all the time, even guys drafted in the top ten. We know that when he goes to training camp, Peters is absolutely one of the best in the league. You'd be crazy to trade him unless absolutely forced to. They have two years left to consider options.

I have to disagree. Peters is aware of this pressure, and will likely maintain his stance about salary through the draft. If he is still a Bill after the draft, he has to start thinking about another year or two at $3 million / year. It is only after the draft that he is likely to make concessions, or big ones, anyway.

Both sides are under pressure, but the pressure on Peters takes a big step up after the draft. The Bills are aware of this.

And as noted, the really good OTs are likely to be long gone by #11 anyway.

I totally disagree. After the draft Peters leverage is much better because the Bills wouldn't be able to replace him unless they had drafted an OT high in the draft.

IMHO, if the front office hasn't made any progress with him before the draft, I think they will move him, because I'm not sure they feel they can risk another extended holdout.

Again, just my opinion.

Agreed...

I know I'm one Bills Fan that doesn't want to sit through another Holdout by our Starting LT...I imagine the FO feels the same...

I've been saying all along I don't think Peters wants to be here UNLESS He's the Top Paid LT in the NFL...And I don't think The Bills have any intention of paying Him that way...So...Unfortunately it looks like we lose Peters via Trade in the next few weeks before The Draft...It's not the outcome I was hoping for...But it seems to be the way this thing is headed no question about it... :beer:

Agreed...

I know I'm one Bills Fan that doesn't want to sit through another Holdout by our Starting LT...I imagine the FO feels the same...

I've been saying all along I don't think Peters wants to be here UNLESS He's the Top Paid LT in the NFL...And I don't think The Bills have any intention of paying Him that way...So...Unfortunately it looks like we lose Peters via Trade in the next few weeks before The Draft...It's not the outcome I was hoping for...But it seems to be the way this thing is headed no question about it... :beer:

I agree that he will be gone before the draft if there is no agreement in place for an extension. There is no way the Bills want another situation like last year, which could even be possibly worst this year(Peters doesn't show up until week 10).

They should do whatever needs to be done to keep him. I understand that his play has been uneven and his recent actions (i.e., holding out last summer) beyond aggravating, but the reality is that losing him would leave a hole too big to fill. There is no assurance that if the Bills select a tackle in the first round that he would even become a starting caliber player, let alone a pro bowl type player. Do you trust the current front office's ability to make a good pick? Moreover, the Bills have a new center and need a LG. They cannot start the season with a rookie at RT (if they move Walker) or a rookie at LT and a rookie at LG or Chambers or Bell at LG. This would be a disaster, possibly the works offensive line in the NFL.

Finally, in terms of the financial impact, I assure you that if Peters is traded, the Bills will end up searching for a quality LT for the next ten years. That is about how long it was between Fina (during his prime) and Peters, and Fina was barely a quality player.

Great post. You covered just about everything. I will take it a step farther and say that even if they trade Peters, Jauron won't draft a LT in the first round, or probably even the first day.