Cutler's new offensive coordinator

Peter

From PFT:

Cutler, Ron Turner Have Rocky History

Posted by Aaron Wilson on April 3, 2009, 12:47 p.m.

Newly-acquired Chicago Bears quarterback Jay Cutler is known for holding a grudge, and he still seems to be holding one against Bears offensive coordinator Ron Turner stemming from an old recruiting dispute, according to Brad Biggs of the Chicago Sun-Times.

Citing people close to Cutler and a Denver Post column, some fences may need to be mended between Cutler and Turner now that they’re going to work together.

As a high school senior in southern Indiana, Cutler accepted a scholarship to Illinois where Turner was the head coach at the time. Cutler committed without visiting campus, though, and when he arrived for an official visit Turner reportedly pulled the offer.

“When Jay went for his official visit, the coach told him they were rescinding the offer because they had some hot-shot quarterback from California,” Heritage Hills athletic director Jay Burch told Denver Post columnist Woody Paige.

Illinois wound up signing Mike Dlugolecki, who wound up transferring to San Diego State. And Cutler had turned down offers from Purdue, Duke and Maryland to go to Illinois before winding up at Vanderbilt.

“It’s not right,” Jake Cutler, Cutler’s father, told ESPN.com. “I still have a bitter taste in my mouth.”

In the past, Turner has denied that Illinois rescinded the scholarship offer because Cutler was never made an offer.

Obviously, they’ll need to rehearse their lines a bit before the press conference today.

Cutler and Ron Turner

As the old Chinese proverb states: You better watch out what you ask for . . . you just might get it.

Sorry if already posted.

I guess the question is, did the school ever officially offer Cutler? I couldn't find any quotes from Turner in a quick search; everything I'm reading is told from Cutler's point of view.

If not, it wouldn't be the first time a recruit has assumed something not in evidence. But if they did ... yeah, that could be fun.

I guess the question is, did the school ever officially offer Cutler? I couldn't find any quotes from Turner in a quick search; everything I'm reading is told from Cutler's point of view.

If not, it wouldn't be the first time a recruit has assumed something not in evidence. But if they did ... yeah, that could be fun.

According to NFL total access this morning, they stated that Turner and the illini never offered Cutler a scholarship.

According to NFL total access this morning, they stated that Turner and the illini never offered Cutler a scholarship.

So Team Cutler apparently just assumed that since the Illini had shown some interest, the scholly was there for the taking? Their bad.

It doesn't matter if Illinois offered him a scholarship or not. Cutler thinks they did, and then pulled it, and that's the HIS problem.

Slight edit, if I may. Strong arm be damned, the more I read about this kid, the less I like.

Slight edit, if I may. Strong arm be damned, the more I read about this kid, the less I like.

He's supposed to be a jerk and thinks a lot of himself. And throughout this whole saga, not one teammate came to his defense, instead saying that whatever happened, they'd be fine.

It should also be noted that this is the same guy that claimed earlier in the week that the Broncos had not tried to contact him. Not surpisingly (except maybe to Cutler), the Broncos let it be known that they have the telephone records that show otherwise.

It should also be noted that this is the same guy that claimed earlier in the week that the Broncos had not tried to contact him. Not surpisingly (except maybe to Cutler), the Broncos let it be known that they have the telephone records that show otherwise.

It's scary how much like Jeff George he is.

Not a bad comparison.

Didn't see him while he was at Vandy,

you missed out. he had one hell of a game against the eventual-champion florida gators, and basically willed the whole team to an almost-win (a WR dropped an easy pass that should have put Vandy in great position to win the game).. i'm pretty sure it's an espn classic game now.