Jury duty today

I get to sit in the waiting room with all of the other prospective jurors - 75 people total.

So, they come in and call 36 people to be interviewed for the first trial.

Then, they come in again and call 36 people to be interviewed for the second trial.

And, the 3 remaining people can then leave (and have it count as jury service).

Guess who's one of the 3. :lol:

I get to sit in the waiting room with all of the other prospective jurors - 75 people total.

Then, they come in again and call 36 people to be interviewed for the second trial.

Wow - that's it?

OH (Hamilton County) is for 3 weeks IIRC. You report the 1st day, then have you report maybe 6 days out of that, letting you go around 11 AM if you've not been called.

They have a call-in phone number you're to dial every evening to see if you have to go in the next day. The jury pool is larger because of increased voting among the young. So your jury of peers could include four or five 19 year-olds. :D

Cross dressing does have its advantages!

CT doesn't have county governments, although there are counties. When I lived there in the early 90s, they noticed that no one from Hartford County was being called. They found out that column for county in the database had 7 spaces, so the D in Hartford was being put in the next column, which was A for alive and D for dead! :lol:

A judge immediately told convicted criminals that they couldn't get retrials.

Cross dressing does have its advantages!

:lol:

And you know this how?

I wish they'd call me for jury duty.... I want to see what it's like... :D

It's great. I served on a one week trial. If you want to be selected for a jury be combative with the lawyers when they question you. I was asked about looking at witness' testimony. I said I would have to see if it looked like they were lying. The defense lawyer jumped on me and asked how could I tell if they were lying. I pushed back not yelling but forcefully saying I didn't know I'd have to observe them first. They're looking for people who will stand up to them because they want someone in the jury room who will fight for their opinions.

I wish they'd call me for jury duty.... I want to see what it's like... :lol:

Do you vote? I get called almost every year. I was on a couple of trials and it's pretty cool. They've changed it a bit in CA and it may have to do with the county. I remember in LA you used to go every day for a week. Then I moved to OC and you go for just a day. If you didn't get on a trial you were done. Now in OC you have to call every day for a week to see if you need to report. I hate that. Now that I live in SF it may take awhile before they find me, I have yet to register up here.

Yeah, I do. Not every year, but I am registered. :unsure:

Maybe it's just because I show up everytime I'm called that I keep getting called back. I was on a civil trail about a shipping company that was being sued by someone. I forgot the details but it was very cool. They shipped things for the west coast through the black sea into the old Soviet Union. It was fascinating what I learned about the shipping industry. They still do things the way they did it (getting enough cargo to make the journey worth it for example) hundreds of years ago.

Then there was the trial of the woman who caught a guy pleasuring himself in his car while looking at her. :rolleyes:

In Va Beach it's a month long. On Sunday nights you check the courthouse website to see if your juror # is on the list if not you're good to go until the next Sunday etc etc. Mine never showed up and now I'm off the list for at least a year.

In Va Beach it's a month long. On Sunday nights you check the courthouse website to see if your juror # is on the list if not you're good to go until the next Sunday etc etc. Mine never showed up and now I'm off the list for at least a year.

A month!! Holy cow what a pain that is. Either there are a lot of criminals, not enough people registered to vote or both.

A month!! Holy cow what a pain that is. Either there are a lot of criminals, not enough people registered to vote or both.

I never thought of it that way but you're probably right with the latter.

When was this?

I had jury duty in VA Beach in 2005

I was assigned a day of the week (Wed IIRC) and was on call for each Wed of the month. Had to check the website or call the phone number the day before each week to see if your number was picked

My number wasn't picked until the very last Wed of the month. Showed up, sat for 4 hours in the waiting room before all prospective jurors were sent home. Got a letter stating I served my jury duty and would not be called on again for 3 years

Weirdness. I used to get called constantly in California. Been in Texas for going on 8 years and I've never gotten that postcard in the mail.

I got called to the courthouse in Big D about this time last year - two wasted days of my life - had to send a seven time felony convicted drug dealer back to jail. Glad I chose not to become a criminal or trail lawyer - I think it would be hard to listen to that stuff day after day. I do have more respect for how difficult it is for law enforcement.

Also further confirmed the fact that as long as people will buy drugs someone will sell them - too much money involved - human nature situation. I have to believe that the "war on drugs" will never succeed.

I had federal jury duty once. EVERYONE is selected, you can be deferred however.

Luckily I didnt have to serve on the 6 week trial.

A guy I used to work with sat on a federal case. Since he was out of work at the time, it gave him something to do for several weeks.

I wish they'd call me for jury duty.... I want to see what it's like... :rolleyes:

I got a survey from the County and I knew as I was filling it out it would probably alert them to call me for Jury Duty. Sure enough, a few weeks later there was my notice in the mail.

In CA, the exemption is only for a year. The day before election day, I had to go to downtown Oakland for the first time ever. We had to enter another way because of all the dregs of society that live in downtown Oakland were early voting for Obama. 2/3 of the people got called for two trials out of 200 people. The said that if you had a hardship, you had to come back after lunch and explain to the judge. About 17 people showed up. I am in due diligence now and get paid by the job. I explained that I had no calls for 3 weeks before that day and had gotten 3 calls while we were in the courtroom that AM, he gave me a deferment. I expect another letter soon. I got 2 of those three jobs.