Russ: Bills / Peters remain far apart

SKOOBY

Jason Peters is still a LT in progress. Buffalo will be making a mistake if they let him go and start from scratch at LT once again. Nothing like a scrub or rookie 5th round pick protecting Trent Edwards this year eh?

That's why we are the Buffalo Bills. :lol:

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IF the bills can get a 1st for him, they have to - he is more trouble then he's worth......he won't be missed by me, not after all the games he played last off-season

IF the bills can't get a 1st for him, the foolishness continues........i not convinced any team will want this malcontent around at that draft pick cost, especially considering the financial commitment that he apparently feels is warranted.......that's fine though, the bills can roll with it - and peters can roll with 2 more years on his contract and play them out, like it or not

Unfortunately I am starting to agree. The last time we had someone who had to be paid the most at his position was Nate Clemens and we know how that worked out. On one hand I thought with the Toronto money Ralph and Littman would step up and pay the going rate for a good player. But if we can't afford Peters, I guess we go shopping for the best deal we can find. I think he warrants more than one draft pick. If we could score a first and a third, maybe we do it. One step forward, two steps back ...........welcome to Buffalo.

[2.) I really thought a deal would get done. As time goes by, I'm thinking we'll see a trade. This is ridiculous.

It's also better to fill the slot with people who don't take plays off and allow their QB to get killed. Bad attitude about showing up for work and always asking for more will not help this team. If someone can post the link from today's buffalo news online, I'd appreciate it. (That's why I posted this thread)

Or you could just look on the TBD home page, where ALL Buffalo News articles about the Bills have always been linked.

IF the bills can get a 1st for him, they have to - he is more trouble then he's worth......he won't be missed by me, not after all the games he played last off-season

IF the bills can't get a 1st for him, the foolishness continues........i not convinced any team will want this malcontent around at that draft pick cost, especially considering the financial commitment that he apparently feels is warranted.......that's fine though, the bills can roll with it - and peters can roll with 2 more years on his contract and play them out, like it or not

The problem is that the Bills lose out on a deal even if they get two firsts from Philly for Peters. The two first round picks would be lower first round picks which virtually assures that any LT they draft is going to spend most of next year learning to become a vet and LT will be a troubled spot on a team which desperately needs to make the playoffs next year.

The really bad thing is that the above scenario only happens if we are lucky since despite the conventional wisdom that a 1st round choice should be a starter, the reality is its about 50/50 that a 1st round pick even is going to first on the depth chart at their position in their second year.

I think the best sign that the Bills are not going to trade Peters is that just as if they mortgaged the present for an uncertain future by drafting Peters replacement or getting some journeyman in late FA, the team has no real plan B for going without Peters starting. Moving Walker over works in a pinch for a game or two, but is not a solution the Bills will want to go with. Given the playoff drought and being guaranteed only a year of TO I think the Bills will want to go for it this season and resigning Peters is a likely important part of that strategy.

The longer this goes on the more likely he will be traded. The Bills MUST resolve this issue either way before the draft. He has already made it clear he will sit out. Personally if you could get a 1st from Philly and their second you do the deal. They still have a first round pick and they get a LT out of the trade. So it works for them. For Buffalo, you get one of the best tackles at 11. Then turn to D with your next two and then could come back with a gaurd/center with your second 2nd round pick. Not too bad. I know they will have some growing pains on Oline, however they should be set for a longtime. And there are more and more examples of good offensive lineman rookies then not good ones over the last couple of years.

But the Bills Must must get this done before the draft or else everyone is screwed. Including us.

Interesting observation. TO and Evans are going to run longer routes which will require time for the QB. Dumping Peters won't help that. Moving Walker creates a huge dropoff in the run game. Singing Peters helps for the win now theory. Grabbing picks for Peters makes sense for a team like Detroit that is building from the bottom. I can't see how it makes Buffalo a playoff team. One step forward, two steps back.

Moving Walker over works in a pinch for a game or two, but is not a solution the Bills will want to go with. Given the playoff drought and being guaranteed only a year of TO I think the Bills will want to go for it this season and resigning Peters is a likely important part of that strategy.

If Peters was smart and showed the organization that he really wanted to continue to play for the Bills, he would take a page out of the Lee Evans book on how to get extended by the team that you currently play for at a rate that far exceeds your value. This could be accomplished by showing up to the team's off-season workouts and reporting to mini-camp.

The Bills do have Peters' by the balls though. He does have two years remaining on his contract and if he doesn't report, he will continue to be fined $600,000 + which coincides with his value decreasing if he were to hit the open market 2 years from now.

I don't think that jason peters is by any means worth 11 million dollars a year. I think 10 million with all the bonuses included would still be a strech but more acceptable. I doubt he takes that though.

My biggest question though is for all those who thinks a trade will happen with philly.. what makes philly more apt to pay 11 million a year and give up a first round pick?

I guess I must be missing something.. if the bills wont pay him 11 mil.. why would philly pay 11 mil and give up a first rder?

If we can get a first rounder for peters.. ship his lazy ass off.. bad character and a big head. Someone should remind him that he wasn't even drafted and still hasn't preformed at a consistant pro bowl level (year after year.. last year was a joke)

Russ was questioned at the CA GM meeting about Peters and basically said they are still real far apart. Peters wants $11 M + season / wants to be the highest paid guy. I know this isn't breaking news but it seems that there is has been no movement. I now think that Peters real value lies in getting Philly or a other team to give up a stupid amount of draft picks. Peters did nothing to impress last season and his stats were less than flattering.

$11 M for a inconsistent run blocking retard that will never be happy with his contract seems like a cruel joke. I hope Peters new team finds him interesting enough to give up alot of premium draft picks, he will be useless to us at this pace.

Not the worst post ever, but do we really need to use the word "retard?" That is not the preferred nomenclature and it makes it difficult for me to take your post seriously. In all honesty, if you have a high school diploma you should probably drop that word from your vocabulary.

Good post. If you want a winning team, the very last position you should worry about filling is the left tackle slot. It is better to man that position with fat slobs or journeyman, and keep the owner from having to pay probowl players the going wage.

That is kinda what we are doing now, manning it with a lazy fat slob who got elected to a Pro Bowl that he shouldn't have even been considered for. The best scenario the Bills can hope for is that someone drastically overpays for an underachieving lazy overrated sack giving up machine.

Jason Peters is still a LT in progress. Buffalo will be making a mistake if they let him go and start from scratch at LT once again. Nothing like a scrub or rookie 5th round pick protecting Trent Edwards this year eh?

That's why we are the Buffalo Bills. :lol:

A LT in progress? How about a LT in Regress is more accurate. He is always going to be better in his mind than he will ever be on the field. Edwards had a scrub protecting him at LT last season already, so what harm is another one. You can get LTs for minimum salary almost that can play as good as Peters did last season, so why pay him as the highest paid LT in the league? That would be like making J.P. Losman the highest paid QB in the league.

The problem is that the Bills lose out on a deal even if they get two firsts from Philly for Peters. The two first round picks would be lower first round picks which virtually assures that any LT they draft is going to spend most of next year learning to become a vet and LT will be a troubled spot on a team which desperately needs to make the playoffs next year.

The really bad thing is that the above scenario only happens if we are lucky since despite the conventional wisdom that a 1st round choice should be a starter, the reality is its about 50/50 that a 1st round pick even is going to first on the depth chart at their position in their second year.

I think the best sign that the Bills are not going to trade Peters is that just as if they mortgaged the present for an uncertain future by drafting Peters replacement or getting some journeyman in late FA, the team has no real plan B for going without Peters starting. Moving Walker over works in a pinch for a game or two, but is not a solution the Bills will want to go with. Given the playoff drought and being guaranteed only a year of TO I think the Bills will want to go for it this season and resigning Peters is a likely important part of that strategy.

i've seen you raise these points in other posts and i frankly disagree strongly with them..........the bills can find a replacement for peters in the first round - be it with the 11th pick or a later pick acquired for peters......i'd rather take my risk in the draft then roll the dice on a ridiculous contract for peters that could handcuff this franchise for years - and that appears the only way he'll sign is if he gets something ridiculous

i'm sure you didn't expect ryan clady to put up a pro-bowl type season in his rookie year - in fact, i'm sure you would have said it was impossible.......but it happens

i remember when the colts were left without a LT when tarik glenn abrubtly retired - they turned around and grabbed ugoh in the SECOND round and haven't looked back since.......has that offense missed a beat?

it's the same short-sighted and ultimately incorrect arguement you made in regards to filling the MLB spot a couple seasons ago - how a rookie could never step in and learn the playcalls, for some outlandish reason......PP came in and won the job out of training camp by doing just that, and would have been damn effective if not for the injury

the bills need to move on if they have that option.......a 1st round pick would do the trick and they would be in a much better position going forward........give me andre smith or oher at #11 and pettigrew/pass rusher/mack at the other 1st rounder and let's move on without the dead weight........rookies can play just fine if you draft well - and they can often perform better then "pro-bowl" malcontents who don't give a damn about the team

i've seen you raise these points in other posts and i frankly disagree strongly with them..........the bills can find a replacement for peters in the first round - be it with the 11th pick or a later pick acquired for peters......i'd rather take my risk in the draft then roll the dice on a ridiculous contract for peters that could handcuff this franchise for years - and that appears the only way he'll sign is if he gets something ridiculous

i'm sure you didn't expect ryan clady to put up a pro-bowl type season in his rookie year - but it happens

i remember when the colts were left without a LT when tarik glenn abrubtly retired - they turned around and grabbed ugoh in the SECOND round and haven't looked back since.......has that offense missed a beat?

it's the same arguement you made in regards to filling the MLB spot a couple seasons ago - how a rookie could never step in and learn the playcalls, for some outlandish reason......PP came in and won the job out of training camp by doing just that, and would have been damn effective if not for the injury

the bills need to move on if they have that option.......a 1st round pick would do the trick and they would be in a much better position going forward........give me andre smith or oher at #11 and pettigrew/pass rusher at the other 1st rounder and let's move on without the dead weight........rookies can play just fine if you draft well - and they can often perform better then "pro-bowl" malcontents who don't give a damn about the team

:lol:

Statistically one of the worst performances at LT last year and we should triple his salary?? I think that Peters did not play anywhere near a probowl level last year and knows it, that's why he is so desperate for a pay raise now before the negative pattern forms.

"statistically" ?? you are aware sacks allowed is an un-official stat and one that is really not quantifiable unless you are aware of the blocking schemes being run. I'm not saying he had a great season or was dominant but you clearly lack some football knowledge if you are viewing him by stats alone. that guy is insanely good what he does. start watching him block and pull, etc instead of following the ball on every play...

Bills have to make a decision whether they'll endure another Parker/Peters holdout, or cut bait before the draft and get some value for PayMe.

If they're willing to play the waiting game, they should impose a start-of-training-camp deadline to get a deal signed, and make it clear to Parker/Peters that they will not negotiate while he holds out, that fines will be strictly enforced, and that if he does hold out he will be playing this season under his current deal when he finally does report.

Peters is still under contract for 2 years, and coming off a sub-par season and another injury - he's got absolutely no leverage in these negotiations.