Russ: Bills / Peters remain far apart

SKOOBY

So the notion that the Bills should knee-jerk react, by dumping their most talented OL rather than negotiate with him and snap their fingers and replace him in the draft easily, simply flies in the face of the evidence.

There's a difference between negotiating with him and caving in. Anything close to what he's asking for is nuts and I hope the front office realizes that. That being said, you make it sound like we've gone after all these offensive linemen who have just busted which isn't even remotely true. We've strayed away from drafting offensive linemen the last few years (for some reason), but we've hit on a lot of other picks (that was my point). I'm sure we will focus on it a great deal at the draft later this month.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a difference between negotiating with him and caving in. Anything close to what he's asking for is nuts and I hope the front office realizes that. That being said, you make it sound like we've gone after all these offensive linemen who have just busted which isn't even remotely true. We've strayed away from drafting offensive linemen the last few years (for some reason), but we've hit on a lot of other picks (that was my point). I'm sure we will focus on it a great deal at the draft later this month.

I'm not making it sound like anything. The fact is that the Bills haven't drafted an All Pro OL since Ruben Brown. That was a long, long time ago. Indeed, it was many coaches and several front offices ago. The fact is the Bills have no track record of hitting on OL. Speculating that they can draft a great one is just that -- nothing but idle speculation. It could happen, of course; but, there is no evidence to support it.

I would question the "hits" that you mentioned. Ellison? Williams? Schouman? You can't be serious. Just because some of these guys have been called upon to play doesn't mean they are world beaters and outstanding picks to build the team around. Heck, almost every one of those guys is quite debatable. Lynch might be an excellent pick if he can stop smoking his bong long enough. Yes, a team has to start somewhere with a rebuild, but going into a 4th year, one would hope that the paper used to patch the holes could be replaced by something more substantial.

I'm not inclined to redo PayMe's deal until after he shows up for OTAs/training camp/preseason, and seeing him play at the level he wants to be paid - which we did not see last season.

But, given the reports that both camps are still very far apart, I could see negotiations going something along these lines...

Parker/Peters: I want more money.

Russ Brandon: We already gave you more money.

Parker/Peters: I want more.

Russ Brandon: Seems like we've had this conversation before. What do you have in mind? How much is it gonna be this time?

Parker/Peters: I wanna be the highest paid LT in the NFL.

Russ Brandon: You haven't played at that level. Show us that you can, that you're dedicated to this team and not just your own wallet, and we'll talk some more.

Parker/Peters: Jake Long got a big contract - I want more money.

Russ Brandon: Yeah, so does Will Wolford, but he's retired and you're under contract for 2 more years. Sorry.

Parker/Peters: Jake Long got a big contract - I want more money.

Russ Brandon: Get your ass to OTAs & camp, and we'll keep talking.

Parker/Peters: Jake Long got a big contract - I'm not doin' sh*t 'til I get one too.

Russ Brandon: Then go pound sand up your ass. When you show up in August, maybe we'll have a roster spot for you.

It's a pretty steady refrain from fans that athletes that are not solid football players will emerge as good (if not great) football players at some time in the future after watching, learning, clapping, and sitting on the sidelines. Yeah, it sometimes works out that a guy is a late bloomer. Maybe it will with Hardy.

On the other hand, Hardy already got a chance to display his imposing athletic skills in NFL games and defenses snuffed him out even while rolling their coverage packages away from him. In short, he sucked, catching 9 balls in 14 games.

I think you're showing a high degree of non comprehension here, sisyphean. There have been many cases of late bloomers in the NFL, especially in the class of WR's; Eric Moulds comes to mind, and if anyone had good reason to be behind in the art of NFL moves and generally getting open, it's apparently Hardy who was just asked to rely on his basic skills.

But you know, with his obvious good attitude, great size, 4.49 combine speed, it's just a matter of time before he puts it all togther and starts to produce. Take it to the bank, fella! :thumbsup:

I think you're showing a high degree of non comprehension here, sisyphean. There have been many cases of late bloomers in the NFL, especially in the class of WR's; Eric Moulds comes to mind, and if anyone had good reason to be behind in the art of NFL moves and generally getting open, it's apparently Hardy who was just asked to rely on his basic skills.

But you know, with his obvious good attitude, great size, 4.49 combine speed, it's just a matter of time before he puts it all togther and starts to produce. Take it to the bank, fella! :)

I'll assume you are being sarcastic... Yes, it is entirely obvious who is a bust and who is a late bloomer after 1 year. :thumbsup: (And a lot of it has to do with what uniform the dude is wearing of course.) Like I wrote before, Hardy may be a late bloomer. To be fair to Eric Moulds though, the Bills had a number of excellent veteran WRs at the time he was drafted so he had more than cardboard cutouts to beat out to get on the field.

I'll assume you are being sarcastic... Yes, it is entirely obvious who is a bust and who is a late bloomer after 1 year. <_< (And a lot of it has to do with what uniform the dude is wearing of course.) Like I wrote before, Hardy may be a late bloomer. To be fair to Eric Moulds though, the Bills had a number of excellent veteran WRs at the time he was drafted so he had more than cardboard cutouts to beat out to get on the field.

:unsure:

But you know, with his obvious good attitude, great size, 4.49 combine speed, it's just a matter of time before he puts it all togther and starts to produce. Take it to the bank, fella! <_<

Eric Moulds wasn't a bust his rookie season. You have to get a chance to perform to be a bust. The Bills still had Andre Reed. They had Quinn Early whom they just signed as a free agent coming off an 81 catch, 1,000 yard season the year before with the Saints. With those two options, Moulds was treated like first year recievers should, as a #3 at best option. As soon as Andre Reed moved on, Moulds blossomed, like he should have and did.