State of union address for the bills...

I already posted this in another thread, but this is why I feel we missed the playoffs last year and why I think our FA signings have been enough to get us to the next level. We filled some holes and added a huge playmaker on offense.

The only reason we missed the playoffs last year was because of this:

After starting 5-1, this is what our QB's did in the next 8 games: And no (Magox) this isnt a bash, its just the reality of what went down...

Edwards:

Mia: 67.2 QB rating, 227 yds, 0 TD, 1 INT, 1 Fmb lost (2 total)

Jets: 79.3 QB rating, 289 yds, 1 TD, 2 INT, 1 Fmb lost (1 total)

NE: 46.2 QB rating, 120 yds, 1 TD, 2 INT

CLE: 50.3 QB rating, 148 yds, 1 TD, 3 INT

KC: 121.0 QB rating, 273 tds, 2 TD, 0 INT, 2 TD's rushing, 2 fumbles (none lost).

SF: (Both Edwards and JP)

Edwards first half: 64.0 QB rating, 112 yds, 0 TD, 0 INT

JP second half: 78 QB rating, 93 yds, 0 TD, 0 INT

JP Losman

Mia: 45.8 QB rating, 123 yds, 0 TD, 1 INT, 1 Fmb lost (3 total)

Jets: 45.7 QB rating, 148 yds, 1 TD, 3 INT, 1 Fmb lost (3 total)

Combination for 8 games of both:

1533 yds (191.6 per game), 8 total TD's (only 6 passing), 16 turnovers (12 INT's 4 lost Fumbles)...they also combined for 11 total fumbles.

And if you take out the KC game (our only win), this is what they did in the 7 losses that ended our season:

1260 yds (180 per game), 4 TD's, 16 turnovers (12 INT's, 4 lost fumbles).

Edwards had a very good game against KC, problem is, the other 7 games were atrocious by both Trent and JP. Not suprisingly we lost all 7 of them and only won the KC game.

This says a few things:

1. Coaching wasnt our biggest problem...no coach can win with that kind of play from the QB.

2. Offense was a much bigger problem than a lackluster pass rush.

3. Our QB's need to get better for this team to be good next year.

So, that being said, the signing of TO is HUGE for us, and may be enough to get us to the playoffs because he plays to Trents style of throwing. If he can make Trent better, and this offense can make big improvements, we will undoubtedly be a playoff team. So adding TO is a major improvement to the weakest side of the ball...the offense.

Our D was solid last year, espeically considering how long and often they were on the field when our offense couldnt do squat over this stretch, not to mention all the injuries. With a better showing from the offesne, our D has the potential to be top 10. And for the record, this list wasnt even all the bad games played by our QB's, just a highlight of the 8 games immediately following our 5-1 start.

I already posted this in another thread, but this is why I feel we missed the playoffs last year and why I think our FA signings have been enough to get us to the next level. We filled some holes and added a huge playmaker on offense.

The only reason we missed the playoffs last year was because of this:

After starting 5-1, this is what our QB's did in the next 8 games: And no (Magox) this isnt a bash, its just the reality of what went down...

Edwards:

Mia: 67.2 QB rating, 227 yds, 0 TD, 1 INT, 1 Fmb lost (2 total)

Jets: 79.3 QB rating, 289 yds, 1 TD, 2 INT, 1 Fmb lost (1 total)

NE: 46.2 QB rating, 120 yds, 1 TD, 2 INT

CLE: 50.3 QB rating, 148 yds, 1 TD, 3 INT

KC: 121.0 QB rating, 273 tds, 2 TD, 0 INT, 2 TD's rushing, 2 fumbles (none lost).

SF: (Both Edwards and JP)

Edwards first half: 64.0 QB rating, 112 yds, 0 TD, 0 INT

JP second half: 78 QB rating, 93 yds, 0 TD, 0 INT

JP Losman

Mia: 45.8 QB rating, 123 yds, 0 TD, 1 INT, 1 Fmb lost (3 total)

Jets: 45.7 QB rating, 148 yds, 1 TD, 3 INT, 1 Fmb lost (3 total)

Combination for 8 games of both:

1533 yds (191.6 per game), 8 total TD's (only 6 passing), 16 turnovers (12 INT's 4 lost Fumbles)...they also combined for 11 total fumbles.

And if you take out the KC game (our only win), this is what they did in the 7 losses that ended our season:

1260 yds (180 per game), 4 TD's, 16 turnovers (12 INT's, 4 lost fumbles).

Edwards had a very good game against KC, problem is, the other 7 games were atrocious by both Trent and JP. Not suprisingly we lost all 7 of them and only won the KC game.

This says a few things:

1. Coaching wasnt our biggest problem...no coach can win with that kind of play from the QB.

Just for the record, can poor coaching cause poor QB play?

I want to be sure that poor game planning, poor play calling, poor game management, and poor time management has absolutely no bearing on QB play ...

Definately need better QB play.

And yet, despite that poor QB play, we were in position to win 3 of those we lost and 2 of those were lost on the last play.

GO BILLS!!!

Exactly...our D and ST kept us in a lot of those games...thats why I think TO is big for us, because I really feel he is a great fit for how Trent plays. Which is why I wanted Boldin so bad becaue he is kind of a younger TO with better hands. Add in a playmaking TE, and I think we make a big leap this year assuming Trent is able to step his game up and utilize these weapons.

...why I think our FA signings have been enough to get us to the next level...

I'm not quite ready yet for this level of confidence. I'm still worried about a couple things (Peters and o-line depth, adding a quality DE, third RB, upgrade at LB, possibly a pass catching TE). But somewhere around July I'll be back on the superbowl bandwagon. I believe it goes something like this...

Shock (November-December)

Denial (December)

Anger And Guilt (December-January)

Despair And Depression (January-May)

Acceptance (June)

Spontaneous Inexplicable Renewal of Blind Optimism For New Season (July-October)

[rinse and repeat]

I want to be sure that poor game planning, poor play calling, poor game management, and poor time management has absolutely no bearing on QB play ...

I get what you are saying, but the coach doesnt have so much of an affect for the QB's to put up those horrid games. Mike Tomlin made a bunch of coaching blunders, even cost his team a win and almost blew the Dallas game. However, he won the SB, because his team had the ability overcome those mistakes. Truth is, all coaches make mistakes, but its the teams ability or lack of ability that determines the magnitude of them.

I'm not quite ready yet for this level of confidence. I'm still worried about a couple things (Peters and o-line depth, adding a quality DE, third RB, upgrade at LB, possibly a pass catching TE). But somewhere around July I'll be back on the superbowl bandwagon. I believe it goes something like this...

Denial (December)

Acceptance (June)

Spontaneous Inexplicable Renewal of Blind Optimism For New Season (July-October)

[rinse and repeat]

:thumbsup:

Nice...

Denial (December)

Acceptance (June)

[rinse and repeat]

You put science behind the emotional cycle of a Bills fan. I feel like this has happened to me every year since the Music City Miracle (which I still think is the cheapest play in NFL history).

You should write a book.

I get what you are saying, but the coach doesnt have so much of an affect for the QB's to put up those horrid games. Mike Tomlin made a bunch of coaching blunders, even cost his team a win and almost blew the Dallas game. However, he won the SB, because his team had the ability overcome those mistakes. Truth is, all coaches make mistakes, but its the teams ability or lack of ability that determines the magnitude of them.

I refuse to buy the argument that Trent's THREE first QUARTER interceptions against Cleveland had ANYthing to do with coaching.

Its not just the coaching blunders during a game, it's the whole package. Every coach makes game time mistakes, and so do players. A well prepared team can overcome those mistakes. A poorly prepared team cannot.

Teams make decisions based on their preparation. A poorly prepared team leads to things like wasted time outs, confusion by the players because their opponents are not punting on 4th down deep in their own territory, etc ...

In short, it's impossible to make confident sound decisions (i.e on where to throw the football) when the foundation for that decision is crap to begin with.

Its not just the coaching blunders during a game, it's the whole package. Every coach makes game time mistakes, and so do players. A well prepared team can overcome those mistakes. A poorly prepared team cannot.

Teams make decisions based on their preparation. A poorly prepared team leads to things like wasted time outs, confusion by the players because their opponents are not punting on 4th down deep in their own territory, etc ...

In short, it's impossible to make confident sound decisions (i.e on where to throw the football) when the foundation for that decision is crap to begin with.

I played college ball, so you dont have to sell me on the importance of game planning and coaching. I agree with you that its important.

That being said, I can say with first hand knowledge that the game planning and coaching, even at its worst, does not affect the decisions a QB makes on his throws nearly the way you are portraying it here to be a viable excuse for a 4 TD, 16 turnover performance in only 7 games.

The QB can also audible at the line, yes even Trent and JP, if he sees a reason to. And unless you are in the meetings with the players, you really dont have any idea of how well or bad the game planning sessions are. You judge by the on field performance which is greatly dependent on how the players EXECUTE the game plan and plays.

Two examples: Cle game...Edwards on many occasions had plenty of time to throw and had open recievers, but he failed to deliver the ball. Then there was those 3 picks in his first 4 throws that were awful decisions he made and bad throws. Its not the fault of the game plan where he had open recievers elsewhere and made a poor decision.

Jets game...JP has a terrible game but we are somehow still in position to win. A roll out is called (lets for arguments sake say that was a bad call...some think it was, some dont) and JP fumbles...well lots went wrong on that play...like the defender blowing by our blockers and such, but the key to the play was JP not throwing the ball away when the play was clearly busted as the FB was not open as he was supposed to be. He should have thrown the ball away, but didnt.

That comes down to execution. Truth is, bad execution will make even the perfect gameplan look bad...

Trent overall did fine for his 1st full year of starting... He had growing pains, but he did manage games well and our time of possession was up considerably when Trent is QB'ing. Whihc in return kept our D reseted and helped us win a few games. Add in the fact that we lacked Weapons at WR and had Royal as our TE, then add in Peters hold out and his inconsistent play, and the fact that our running game was anemic for much of the season, and Reeds injury and you can understand why we fizzled down the stretch

Of course trent needs to improve, but if this is a debate about getting a new QB this year well that's retarded. We are committed to yet another QB and we either let him develope or we stay on the QB carousel and never get over the hump.

Trent overall did fine for his 1st full year of starting... He had growing pains, but he did manage games well and our time of possession was up considerably when Trent is QB'ing. Whihc in return kept our D reseted and helped us win a few games. Add in the fact that we lacked Weapons at WR and had Royal as our TE, then add in Peters hold out and his inconsistent play, and the fact that our running game was anemic for much of the season, and Reeds injury and you can understand why we fizzled down the stretch

Of course trent needs to improve, but if this is a debate about getting a new QB this year well that's retarded. We are committed to yet another QB and we either let him develope or we stay on the QB carousel and never get over the hump.

There was no mention of a new young QB in this thread...in fact, I pointed out that I think TO will be a great complement to help Trent improve, and if he does, we will be playoff bound.

If you ask this, then you have to ask;

Can poor QB play cause poor coaching? Any coach will look good with a great quarterback, and not many coaches can look good without one.

How sure can you be that poor QB play isn't the main cuase of poor game planning, poor play calling, poor game management, and poor time management?

If you ask this, then you have to ask;

Can poor QB play cause poor coaching? Any coach will look good with a great quarterback, and not many coaches can look good without one.

So it can be done, correct?

How sure can you be that poor QB play isn't the main cuase of poor game planning, poor play calling, poor game management, and poor time management?

It was poor QB play that caused Lynch to get zero touches down near the GL, or to get exactly 1 (ONE) touch in the entire 4th quarter of the SF game?

It was poor QB play that caused the team to take a time out because they were "confused" the Patriots did not have their punt team out on 4th down, deep in their own territory?

I said it before. Watch how many of these BS problems will "disappear" once Jauron gets canned.

piss poor OL play will sure have an impact

a big question mark at C, a gaping hole at LG, and a holdout at LT do not bode well for much improvement in the offense- regardless of TO and JP

What are you expecting from a second year QB and an absolute bust? 99% of second year QB's are very up and down. Knowing that the offensive gameplan should have been WAY MORE run heavy!

-In the Jets game we trust JP to execute in crunchtime?

-The OC calls a pass on 3 and 1 at your own 9 yard line with your QB stuggling!

-Calling 35 passes and only 23 rushes in a close game against Miami?

-Follow that up with 35 passes and 16 runs against the Jets?

-18 rushes and 23 passes against the Pats the next week?

That is terrible gameplanning IMO. You have two legit RB's and a big Oline and your going to make Trent and JP throw to set up the run? I'm not sold on Trent and JP broke all of our hearts (a long time ago) but our OC was inept last year.

But somewhere around July I'll be back on the superbowl bandwagon. I believe it goes something like this...

Denial (December)

Acceptance (June)

[rinse and repeat]

:blush:

I am not sure the Bills could do anything right, in my eyes, right now... :censored: But, like you, I know I will be on board the closer the season comes... it just makes the year so much more bareable... the Bills never really change, and neither does my relationship with them....

This says a few things:

2. Offense was a much bigger problem than a lackluster pass rush.

3. Our QB's need to get better for this team to be good next year.

Our D was solid last year, espeically considering how long and often they were on the field when our offense couldnt do squat over this stretch, not to mention all the injuries. With a better showing from the offesne, our D has the potential to be top 10. And for the record, this list wasnt even all the bad games played by our QB's, just a highlight of the 8 games immediately following our 5-1 start.

Agreed that Edwards had some stinker games.....too many. But with championship caliber teams, when one unit falters, the other unit picks up the slack. Buffalo's D does NOT have the depth or ability to make up for offensive mistakes. The D gave up 7, 8 and 9 minute 4th quarter game killing drives. Neither has the offense shown the ability to march down the field and score to make up for a defensive lapse. The offense was worse than the defense down the stretch, but at this point, neither one has the ability to cover for the other. Unless either the offense or the defense shows the ability to be able to take over and dominate the game, this team has to have all cylinders firing, all of the time.

piss poor OL play will sure have an impact

a big question mark at C, a gaping hole at LG, and a holdout at LT do not bode well for much improvement in the offense- regardless of TO and JP

Great points - but I've asked you this before: Why did you pirate my forum name?