TE Sheffler

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a little concerned that McDaniels thinks he isn't a good enough blocker for his scheme. But, I still think he would represent an instant upgrade for the Bills, if he can at least block a little.

I'm a little concerned that McDaniels thinks he isn't a good enough blocker for his scheme. But, I still think he would represent an instant upgrade for the Bills, if he can at least block a little.

Fine would be the Bills' blocking TE.

What worries me if the amount of money that we have to sign these guys. His contract would have to be re-worked in a deal, we are still working on Peters (hopefully), we need an OLB and OG AND we need to sign our rookies. There was a previous article stating that we might be done in FA after Pat Thomas of all people was signed. I hope we can make more moves but we just might not be able to

I don't think that's it at all. McDaniels' offenses don't feature TE's and rely more on third receivers. Scheffler is something akin to a square peg in a round hole. They've already got Daniel Graham, who NE drafted in 02 I believe.

Scheffler is a player who, IMO, hasn't reached his physical potential and will improve. He's just a bad fit for McDaniels offensive scheme.

Fine would be the Bills' blocking TE.

I think that makes little sense, for the Bills. If they switch TEs. then they will telegraph the play. That's what they have been doing for years, at other positions, and with formations, and I hate it. (Who cares what I hate?) I think they are better off with an all-purpose TE who can block and catch the ball.

Think Royal, if he was a reliable receiver. :thumbsup:

But, I agree that, if that's the way they are going to go, it's better than what they have had, the past few years.

Maybe they get Schef, and still draft a TE with promise, later in the draft. I'd be OK with that, too.

I don't think that's it at all. McDaniels' offenses don't feature TE's and rely more on third receivers. Scheffler is something akin to a square peg in a round hole. They've already got Daniel Graham, who NE drafted in 02 I believe.

Scheffler is a player who, IMO, hasn't reached his physical potential and will improve. He's just a bad fit for McDaniels offensive scheme.

:thumbsup: Bang on.

For sure an instant upgrade.

It would be great to see a critical 3rd down pass to the TE and actually

not worry it will be dropped.

If that's the case, I have fewer concerns.

If that's the case, I have fewer concerns.

I'm not an expert on Scheffler by any means. He's completed his third year and seems like an up and coming player which fits Buffalo's team vision to build a young core.

Daniel Graham may or may not be able to meet the requirement for a blocking TE in McDaniels's offense, but NE let him go in UFA too. I just have a feeling McD wants to mold that team into his (see Belichick's) model and they'll look for picks to kick-start the process.

I think that makes little sense, for the Bills. If they switch TEs. then they will telegraph the play. That's what they have been doing for years, at other positions, and with formations, and I hate it. (Who cares what I hate?) I think they are better off with an all-purpose TE who can block and catch the ball.

But, I agree that, if that's the way they are going to go, it's better than what they have had, the past few years.

Maybe they get Schef, and still draft a TE with promise, later in the draft. I'd be OK with that, too.

YOU care what you hate. You hate what you hate.

But, you shouldn't hate - according to some.

He might not be a Metzelaars, but he could be somebody like Jay Riemersma.

I'd like to think he could be had for a 4th.

Now, myself... well I could be had for a 5th.

Just because Fine isn't as good a receiver as Scheffler, and Scheffler isn't as good a blocker as Fine, doesn't mean that Fine is in for ALL running plays and Scheffler is in for ALL passing plays.

Also, where is it written that Fine is a blocking TE, and that he's a better blocker than Scheffler? Fine is a receiving TE, believe it or not. He played in the slot in a spread offense. He also was moved around a lot, playing the slot, lining up in the backfield, at WR and on the line. Just because he didn't come on the scene and catch 70 passes for 10 TD's doesn't mean that he is automatically a blocking TE.

Just because Fine isn't as good a receiver as Scheffler, and Scheffler isn't as good a blocker as Fine, doesn't mean that Fine is in for ALL running plays and Scheffler is in for ALL passing plays.

Also, where is it written that Fine is a blocking TE, and that he's a better blocker than Scheffler? Fine is a receiving TE, believe it or not. He played in the slot in a spread offense. He also was moved around a lot, playing the slot, lining up in the backfield, at WR and on the line. Just because he didn't come on the scene and catch 70 passes for 10 TD's doesn't mean that he is automatically a blocking TE.

I was responding to a post that suggested Fine was the blocking TE and Sheff the receiving TE, i didn't claim it was the case.

But, if they are both adequate at blocking, I have no problem. If either is a piss-poor blocker, I have an issue.