Conner Barwin

He might not be on the board when BUF's 2nd round rolls around

Its seems every profiled player is overvalued on this board, haven't you guys learned from the past drafts? Most players labeled as "athlete" are usually drafted in rds. 3-5, at best hes drafted in the compensatory picks of rd.3. Question, if he's not around come the Bills 2nd pick, whose knocked out of 2nd rd.? Believe when i say they're all athletes just put them w/ the proper scheme and they will shine. Also where would you play him in this garbage, ahem....complex, ahem....defense?

Bruce Smith was labelled an athlete. Didn't he go a bit sooner than the 3rd round?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow you are just totally wrong. In fact Schobel and Kelsay are totally different types of players.

here are some highlights of Barwin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u79CJdrxZbo

the dude is a maniac

I didnt know Cincy only played three games last year...LOL (Rutgers- How good were they last yr?, Pitt and VT). Anyway he looks quick off the ball in those three games, definitely value tho in rds. 3-5..

Btw take a look at Bills pick A.Bowen on youtube from 2007..that athlete label = rd.3-5

I respect your opinion, but that's just not true. Looks at guys like DeMarcus Ware, Gaines Adams, Mark Anderson, Phillip Merling, Jason Jones, LaMarr Woodley, Mathias Kiwanuka, Elvis Dumervil, Shawne Merriman, Justin Tuck, etc. They've all contributed significantly as rookies, and none (to my knowledge anyway) were considered project DEs coming into the NFL. Granted, some of those guys (Ware, Woodley, Merriman) switched to 3-4 OLBs, but I think the premise remains the same.

Plus, as I said, Barwin is a good athlete, but he looks more like a Robison-type than a future NFL DE to me.

I appreciate your kindness. I too often forget it in my posts. You are right, I did exaggerate.

In my defense, I did not talk about "significant contributions." You're right, a few guys do make those. But very few do much more than that. There are few exceptions. Project guys often make "significant contributions." They just don't get anywhere close tho their potential.

DEs as a position simply take time to develop. If you want a quick impact guy, take an RB, a center, or maybe an LB.

Look at Mario Williams. 4.5 sacks as a rookie.

You can find a few exceptions, like Peppers with 12 sacks. But most DEs just don't have a big impact. They are, in that sense, projects.

IMHO, Barwin has huge upside. He's only played DE for one year. He's got lots of techniques still to learn.

I didnt know Cincy only played three games last year...LOL (Rutgers- How good were they last yr?, Pitt and VT). Anyway he looks quick off the ball in those three games, definitely value tho in rds. 3-5..

Btw take a look at Bills pick A.Bowen on youtube from 2007..that athlete label = rd.3-5

Regardless of which team ends up drafting him he's not lasting to the 3rd, much less the 5th. He is almost universally considered a 2nd rounder.

From what I've heard his best fit is probably as a blitzing OLB. I would love to see him on the Bills, but I don't see it happening. It would be too much of a reach to pick him at 11 and he will DEFINITELY be gone by the time our r2 rolls around. Pats have had their eyes all over him and he is a prototypical patriot player.

new note from rotoworld:

Cincinnati DE/OLB/TE Connor Barwin ran his forty-yard dash in the 4.4-4.5 range at the Bearcats' Pro Day.

Prospects always do better at Pro Days, but this can only help. Barwin, who ran 4.66 at the Combine, is looking more and more like a first-round pick.

Regardless of which team ends up drafting him he's not lasting to the 3rd, much less the 5th. He is almost universally considered a 2nd rounder.

Universally, are these the draft experts or actual Team scouts..hmm ?? Look the guy is a good player but with all the factors involved eg. consistency, technique and novice at the position, he's a project. I can see him going to a team like the patriots or steelers b/c they have the coaching staff that will use him properly ( spot duty) w/ a veteran defense. IMHO,you put him here and the expectations ( as you say Bruce Smith...still LMFAO) of immediate results = Kelsay or C. Ellis.

Bruce Smith was labelled an athlete. Didn't he go a bit sooner than the 3rd round?

Bruce Smith was labeled the best defensive player in college football. 1st team All American, Outland Trophy winner. Blue chip, can't miss prospect.

GO BILLS!!!

From what I've heard his best fit is probably as a blitzing OLB. I would love to see him on the Bills, but I don't see it happening. It would be too much of a reach to pick him at 11 and he will DEFINITELY be gone by the time our r2 rolls around. Pats have had their eyes all over him and he is a prototypical patriot player.

We could always trade down to get him later in the round. This would be a perfect year to do it too, as teams will look to gain position to draft mark Sanchez if he isn't off the board at 11

It's not too much of a reach to pick a guy that wasn't considered a first-day pick until a month ago at #11 overall? I have to say that I vehemently disagree.

Also, it would surprise me if he was gone by the time the Bills pick in round 2. There's a chance of it, but I don't think it's likely.

As I said, there's probably 8 or 9 DEs I prefer at the position before Barwin. Among them are:

Brian Orakpo (Texas) - Likely to be a top 10 pick

Tyson Jackson (LSU) - Probably a better fit at 5-technique (3-4 DE), but I love the player

Larry English (NIU) - Anyone that reads my posts on this board knows I think he's the prize of the class at DE

Everette Brown (FSU) - Looks the part, but past performance of FSU DEs scares me

Aaron Maybin (PSU) - If Buffalo is going to take a one-year wonder at DE, I'd rather it be Maybin than Barwin. He did add 15 lbs of bulk, but it's hard to imagine he did it without some kind of "help". People just don't add quality weight at that rate, even NFL athletes.

Robert Ayers (Ten) - Doesn't have the gaudy numbers, but possesses the skills scouts love

Lawrence Sidbury (Rich) - He'd be a top 15 pick if he played in D-1A

Michael Johnson (GT) - Physically he's a Mario Williams clone. His effort may come into question, however.

Jarron Smith (SJSU) - Explosive pass rusher with excellent size

Just my 1 cent.

It's not too much of a reach to pick a guy that wasn't considered a first-day pick until a month ago at #11 overall? I have to say that I vehemently disagree.

Also, it would surprise me if he was gone by the time the Bills pick in round 2. There's a chance of it, but I don't think it's likely.

As I said, there's probably 8 or 9 DEs I prefer at the position before Barwin. Among them are:

Brian Orakpo (Texas) - Likely to be a top 10 pick

Tyson Jackson (LSU) - Probably a better fit at 5-technique (3-4 DE), but I love the player

Larry English (NIU) - Anyone that reads my posts on this board knows I think he's the prize of the class at DE

Everette Brown (FSU) - Looks the part, but past performance of FSU DEs scares me

Aaron Maybin (PSU) - If Buffalo is going to take a one-year wonder at DE, I'd rather it be Maybin than Barwin. He did add 15 lbs of bulk, but it's hard to imagine he did it without some kind of "help". People just don't add quality weight at that rate, even NFL athletes.

Robert Ayers (Ten) - Doesn't have the gaudy numbers, but possesses the skills scouts love

Lawrence Sidbury (Rich) - He'd be a top 15 pick if he played in D-1A

Michael Johnson (GT) - Physically he's a Mario Williams clone. His effort may come into question, however.

Jarron Smith (SJSU) - Explosive pass rusher with excellent size

Just my 1 cent.

It was actually 25lbs. of muscle that the guy added.

In my original post I agree with this. The only logical situation for the Bills to pick him up is to trade down. Like you said though, there is going to be a plethora of "better" DE's available with the 11th pick, that it's hard to see us trading down a few picks to pick Barwin up unless our personnel folks are extremely high on him.

If he somehow falls through the pats and we're looking at him in the 2nd, he would be a steal. While he probably won't be an immediate starter at OLB, I still think that is his best NFL position and is certainly a position of need for us.

Connor Barwin is an absolute FREAK! I had the pleasure of watching him for 4 years at Cincinnati. He has been a productive Tight End, and was a complete force last season at Defensive End. He even played on the UC Basketball team for two years as they were going through their post-Bob Huggins transition (they still are!).

Some say that he is a project at Defensive End, but I think he has proven he is more than capable by being the Big East Leader in sacks for 2008. He can also play outside linebacker, and has great speed (ran a 4.48 at his pro day on Thursday).

I think that Barwin is a reach with the Bills first round pick, but may be worth trading up to get late in the first or early second.

Here is a video from the Cincy Pro day from Thursday: http://www.cstv.com/allaccess/player/06-oa...chool=cinn&