Marshawn Lynch press conference at 4pm

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Promo this has nothing to do with the topic, but since I noticed you're an advocate of the UB program and I'm an alum, I have a question for you:

Do you think the UB mens b-ball team needs to can Reggie Witherspoon? I know everybody is in love with him, but I think they need a change. Don't get me wrong he did a great job turning the program around. However, there offense is miserable and I put much of the blame on Witherspoon. Never recruits the big guys and the offense is way too guard oriented. The motion offense they run actually has the center consistently taking the ball at the top of the key, I don't think I've ever seen that elsewhere. I just think it's time for a guy who knows the X and O's of basketball more so than Reggie. Anyways just a quick rant......wanted to see if you see any of the same problems I do.

Okay, I'll go off-topic too and answer your question.

First let me say I get a lot of grief on the www.ubfan.com forum for being critical of Coach Reg. There are definitely some thought police at work there who only want happy thoughts on their website.

That said I think UB does need to make a change. I do recognize that Reg has disadvantages in recruiting. For one, UB has no gut major for dumb jocks. Add to that Buffalo is not a destination top recruits flock to. We don't have the support of tradition that a school like Syracuse has.

But I think that Reg has a real hard time managing games and making adjustments. His teams are terrible shooters. Can you blame a coach for that? There are arguments over whether you can coach shooting. You either have the eye or you don't.

Now look at the football team. There's no question that Turner Gill is grade A coaching talent. That program is a winner thanks to that man and I'm really looking forward to the 2009 season, even moreso than the Bills season. So to me there's no question that coaching makes all the difference in the world.

So do you fire a coach who has 21 wins (22 if they beat Wichita St tonight)? That's a tough call. UB was picked to be last in the MAC so they surpassed expectations. But the MAC is a terrible basketball conference this year, and they blew several critical games.

If I'm AD Warde Manuel I bring Reg back but I don't extend him. I evaluate him closely in 2009/0 while keeping an eye out for a top level HC if one comes available.

How's that?

PTR

Recap:

1) Marshawn expects a suspension. No mention of expected length. Only that he expects to be suspended by the NFL.

2) Said he has to be more careful and not put himself in positions to be made to look bad. Said he has a "target on his back" because he's in the NFL.

3) Pledges to do better going forward. WGR reporter said whole presser had a coached feel.

4) Terrell Owens...excited to have T.O. Thought friends were playing a joke when the called him with the news.

5) Schopp says the Bills deliberately make these pressers tough by not giving much warning. Reporter Joe Buscaglia said after 10 or so reporters set up in the Bills briefing room, they made them move to the Field House.

That's all.

PTR

Promo, thanks for the recap.

i sometimes think the whole media experience is a waste. the guy is young, has thus far made several mistakes and pretty dumb ones at that--would they expect him to fly by the seat of his pants? isn't that what gets him in trouble to start? of course it was coached, and if he's smart, he's a hired a pr firm to help him get his act together. he should be coached. he should try and project an image other than what he is---a dumb ass. doesn't mean he's a bad guy, lot's of people fit the mold.

I love how people can only see the negative side of things. Marshawn was coached, blah blah blah. It sounded to me that he's more serious about things than before. I hope Marshawn stays Marshawn with the fans, teammates, etc.. but takes life outside the locker room more serious.

You would too if you just realized that you were about to get sodomized by a 300lb man that makes his offensive linemen look small.

I seriously doubt someone of Marshawn's celebrity would be sodomized. Especially since it's his home town.

Okay, I'll go off-topic too and answer your question.

First let me say I get a lot of grief on the www.ubfan.com forum for being critical of Coach Reg. There are definitely some thought police at work there who only want happy thoughts on their website.

That said I think UB does need to make a change. I do recognize that Reg has disadvantages in recruiting. For one, UB has no gut major for dumb jocks. Add to that Buffalo is not a destination top recruits flock to. We don't have the support of tradition that a school like Syracuse has.

But I think that Reg has a real hard time managing games and making adjustments. His teams are terrible shooters. Can you blame a coach for that? There are arguments over whether you can coach shooting. You either have the eye or you don't.

Now look at the football team. There's no question that Turner Gill is grade A coaching talent. That program is a winner thanks to that man and I'm really looking forward to the 2009 season, even moreso than the Bills season. So to me there's no question that coaching makes all the difference in the world.

So do you fire a coach who has 21 wins (22 if they beat Wichita St tonight)? That's a tough call. UB was picked to be last in the MAC so they surpassed expectations. But the MAC is a terrible basketball conference this year, and they blew several critical games.

If I'm AD Warde Manuel I bring Reg back but I don't extend him. I evaluate him closely in 2009/0 while keeping an eye out for a top level HC if one comes available.

How's that?

PTR

Sounds fair. Glad I'm not the only one who sees his ineptitude more often than not. Just a quick response in regard to Bufalo having trouble recruiting: There is some truth that it's not a sought after location for HS recruits, but look at what Siena has been able to do in Albany, NY. It goes to show if you get the right head coach who can evaluate talent and then fit that talent into the offense things only get better. Once you start making the tournament it helps recruiting tremendously as well. Had reggie not blown a 20 point 2nd half lead in the 2005 season, or had his team showed up and played this past week the teams exposure would have increased greatly. Tournament appearances make recruiting a whole lot more effective (and I'm not talking about the CBI tournament). Okay that's it for the UB talk, now on to the actual topic............

From Tim: Lynch claims he gets the message this time

"With the first incident, I'm going to say honestly, we didn't play that out in a smart way," Lynch said. "And with this situation, I felt that there was going to come a point where something was going to have to change.

"My agent said we got proactive in knowing that this incident was serious -- not saying that the last one wasn't -- but it's time to make that change and step up to the plate and confess up to what I've done."

About time.

And more than a few people here defended the way he played out that first incident. Nice to see he's figured it out, anyway...

He has a "target on his back" because "he's in the NFL"???

Yup, that's a guy who is taking full responsibility for his serial bad judgement.

3 years is a long time.....

I don't think that's what he said or meant. He said he had a target on his back because of his previous two incidents and that people will be watching him extra closely now. He did say that players, generally, are under a microscope because of their high profiles, but the target remark I think was more about him, personally -- that he knows he has to make better judgments in the future. I thought he handled himself very well. As Lori says, he finally GETS IT now -- this is serious stuff.

He has a "target on his back" because "he's in the NFL"???

Yup, that's a guy who is taking full responsibility for his serial bad judgement.

3 years is a long time.....

That would be the right words in your quotation marks, but I have to believe you misinterpreted them. He tried to clear it up. He has put himself under a microscope because of repeat offenses. You seem to be looking for a reason to put him down.

Coached or not, right wording or not, he seems sincere. I believe he is taking responsibility for his actions. Keep in mind he is a running back, not a public speaker. This conference was put together quickly, so it's not like he had a lot of time to prepare a speech.

That would be the right words in your quotation marks, but I have to believe you misinterpreted them. He tried to clear it up. He has put himself under a microscope because of repeat offenses. You seem to be looking for a reason to put him down.

Coached or not, right wording or not, he seems sincere. I believe he is taking responsibility for his actions. Keep in mind he is a running back, not a public speaker. This conference was put together quickly, so it's not like he had a lot of time to prepare a speech.

Yes, his sincerity struck me, too. I think the most telling remark was how Goodell's words were still reverberating in his head -- I think this has shaken him up some.

Yes, his sincerity struck me, too. I think the most telling remark was how Goodell's words were still reverberating in his head -- I think this has shaken him up some.

As it should or he becomes the next Pacman or Chris Henry.

It's funny isn't it? A player that is very easy to like can easily be out for a long time if it happens again. T.O., a player that many dislike, doesn't get into any situations like this.

As it should or he becomes the next Pacman or Chris Henry.

It's funny isn't it? A player that is very easy to like can easily be out for a long time if it happens again. T.O., a player that many dislike, doesn't get into any situations like this.

I hear what you're saying, but I think it's too early to pin the "serial" label on him. He wasn't seeking out trouble, but rather he made poor decisions and put himself in compromising situations. He made poor judgments for sure and I'm not suggesting that his past behavior is defensible, but I also don't think the guy is going to be the next Pacman, either.