What would it take for you to trade Peters?

Astrobot

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't expect any of Jason Smith, Eugene Monroe or Michael Oher to be there at 11, but we'll see.

I'm not sure I expect Ayers to be there at #42, but i like your thinking, for the most part.

I think what the Bills need to get for Peters, is more than they are likely to be able to get in a trade. But, if they can get a contributing player, and some high draft picks, or two 1st rounders, PLUS...they would have to consider it, IMO.

1. No team with two 1st rounders is going to trade them both. Why? " Ryan Leaf, QB, San Diego Chargers (1998) The Chargers traded two first-round picks, a second-round pick and Pro Bowler Eric Metcalf for a quarterback who would alienate teammates, infuriate fans and produce a mere 21 starts with 14 touchdowns and 36 interceptions. And to think he was weighed against Peyton Manning. "

2. Peters price is about right for a young 2 time probowl LT if they get him for 9- 10 mil. plus incentives (sounds like Lees deal and IMO Peters plays a more important role).

3. Trent Cole is good but rookies probably won't fill the rest of the holes on this team (esply on the O line). Our D was half good last year, our O not. I do like trading for a trent Cole type player, but not for Peters.

4. Trading Peters THIS year (with TO) would be stupid and Trent will spend more time on his ass than last.

5. Peters looked good after week 8 or so last year, other teams have to game plan for him, I say it again he deserves to be paid as much as Lee did.

1. No team with two 1st rounders is going to trade them both. Why? " Ryan Leaf, QB, San Diego Chargers (1998) The Chargers traded two first-round picks, a second-round pick and Pro Bowler Eric Metcalf for a quarterback who would alienate teammates, infuriate fans and produce a mere 21 starts with 14 touchdowns and 36 interceptions. And to think he was weighed against Peyton Manning. "

2. Peters price is about right for a young 2 time probowl LT if they get him for 9- 10 mil. plus incentives (sounds like Lees deal and IMO Peters plays a more important role).

3. Trent Cole is good but rookies probably won't fill the rest of the holes on this team (esply on the O line). Our D was half good last year, our O not. I do like trading for a trent Cole type player, but not for Peters.

4. Trading Peters THIS year (with TO) would be stupid and Trent will spend more time on his ass than last.

5. Peters looked good after week 8 or so last year, other teams have to game plan for him, I say it again he deserves to be paid as much as Lee did.

A much better example is Sean Gilbert. Similar talent, similar problems.

I wouldn't trade him for a draft pick. He's a proven por bowl player. If he is to be traded, trade him for a proven DE or LB. You never know what ur getting with draft picks.

He was a "proven Pro Bowler" this year? I guess that's technically true...

NO ONE will offer 2 1st rounders for Peters. You can stop now.

This is interesting! If I were to trade Jason Peters there would be only two teams I would deal with, Detroit and St.Louis. Remember folks we have a two time Pro Bowler in his prime, that should equate to one of the top 2 picks in this years draft and a 3rd rounder. Who's to say that Jason Smith or Eugene Monroe will pan out to be the impact LT that Peters is. If this trade were to happen for the Bills I would first look to sign Orlando Pace as a stop gap LT for the season. With the Detroit or St. Louis pick I would take Aaron Curry in a heartbeat. With our pick at 11 I would still target Everette Brown or BJ Raji, which ever one is still there. Second round I'd probably still go with DL help, maybe Ayers. If he's not available then I may reach for Chase Coffman. Third round with our pick and the Detroit/St.Louis pick I would go Antoine Caldwell/Ron Brace. As far as the LT position goes I would hope that either Kirk Chambers or Demetrius Bell would learn how to man the position from Pace once is he gone.

Seriously, all of you who are saying we should get two firsts for Peters are crazy. Nobody gives up two firsts in an upcoming draft. Why do you think no one has made a move on Julius Peppers? And even his compensation is a 1st this year and a 1st next year.

If he's not going to sign and possibly hold out again, you have to trade him. I would look for a 1st and a mid-late round pick.

This years draft is deep with starting quality OT's (Jason Smith, Eugene Monroe, Michael Oehr, Andre Smith). One of them would be there at 11.

Then you could use that 2nd 1st on a LB, S, DE, or DT.

I would not trade him. He is still 2 years under contract. I let him sit out like last year. Then after two years, I tag him for another year. He is 27 now and will be 30 by the time I am done with him. I would negoiate his contract base on that scenario. I don't mind giving him a chance to be the highest paid player in the league if he plays like one. The new deal should have incentives like team rushing yards and sacks, etc., that would be enough to make his 2009 salary to be $11.5M. But if he dares to pull the same crap again, I wouldn't play nice.

BUT, just in case I really want to trade him, I would not take anything less than a top five picks in the draft, meaning the Eagles is out of the running. I believe in building from the line. If I have to give away my starting left tackle for a rookie linebacker, it has better be a young version of Ray Lewis. Otherwise, I don't think it is acceptable.

a couple of high draft picks would be great. i don't see any team giving away too much since Peters is asking for a boatload of cash.

The nice thing is that there's two years left on his contract, which is attractively priced. It isn't like the usual case of the player finishing the last year of his contract, where the team has to negotiate the contract as part of the trade. The risk for the team is that he'll hold-out for a year or two.

Sources report that Peters is asking over 13M/yr :huh:

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/606369.html

Your disturbingly dismal reading comprehension disqualifies anything that you write. Where does it say he's asking for $13 million?

Per the very article you link:

"It’s believed Peters wants to be the highest-paid left tackle in the NFL. Neither the Bills nor Peters’ agent, Eugene Parker, are commenting on negotiations. However, a source familiar with talks said Peters’ first offer was in excess of the $11.5 million-a-year deal signed by Miami’s Jake Long, who was the first pick in the draft last year. Long’s deal was for five years and $57.5 million."

That's his starting point. The Bills have their starting point. The two sides will meet in the middle.

There are only a few explanations for your misreading of the article.

None of the explanations reflect well on you.

The nice thing is that there's two years left on his contract, which is attractively priced. It isn't like the usual case of the player finishing the last year of his contract, where the team has to negotiate the contract as part of the trade. The risk for the team is that he'll hold-out for a year or two.

I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt and say that you haven't been following pro sports for more than one year.

Or else you would know that whether he stays here or is traded, he's going to get a new contract.

I wouldn't trade him for a draft pick. He's a proven por bowl player. If he is to be traded, trade him for a proven DE or LB. You never know what ur getting with draft picks.

You never know what you are getting with Peters either. Maybe the excellent Pro Bowl tackle from 2007 or the whiny, lazy, underachieving suck *ss tackle from 2008.

You never know what you are getting with Peters either. Maybe the excellent Pro Bowl tackle from 2007 or the whiny, lazy, underachieving suck *ss tackle from 2008.

Nothing is more meaningless than the average fan's evaluation of NFL line play.

How did he get to the Pro Bowl last year?

You don't think it was Buffalo Bills fans stuffing ballot boxes on his behalf last year do you?

I'll take the fact that the coaches and players voted him to two Pro Bowls over any opinion on this board.