First T.O. Contoversy?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering the Bills are selling Owens #81 jerseys on their website, I don't understand how this is a controversy.

Considering the Bills showed Owens his locker with a #81 jersey with his name on the back, this ISN'T a controversy. Whether the Bills cleared it with Hardy beforehand is another matter, but not Owens' problem or issue. And since Hardy wore #82 in college, it's not like it's his number anyway.

Move along, people.

That is a retarded view point. What if T.O.'s number was #83, would you have the same attitude? It doesn't matter which player has the number, the problem is the message it is sending to the rest of the team. Not only is he going to act like a prima donna, they are treating him like one before he ever even catches a pass in practice, much less a game.

Are u equating hardy to evans? that is retarded

Good grief people ... what in the h-e-double hockey sticks has Hardy done in this league to even warrant discussion ... give it to TO and move on ... he can have it back next year. It he became so attached to it ... give him 18 until TO leaves ...

Let's hope that the media is overblowing this, because if they gave him #81 without even consulting Hardy, it is the first step in this whole evolution towards it blowing up in the Bills face. That sends a terrible message to the rest of the Bills who have been there, going by the rules, that it would appear they are going to cater to every T.O. want and need. Football players can be real possesive about their numbers, and if the Bills just filled T.O.s locker with a #81 jersey and are now selling #81 jerseys and Hardy hasn't had a say, they are starting the avalanche that will destroy the 2009 season.

The 'media' isn't overblowing this at all - one knucklehead with nothing to print and a deadline to meet is! (Along with some bored bloggers on TSW :lol: )

Hardy might not even suit up this season - depending on how his rehab goes he could start the season on PUP and then be moved to IR, so where's the freakin' controversy anyway? :rolleyes:

Much ado about nothing! This is a prime example how everything TO is blown out of proportion. TO's right, the Bills showed him his number, what else is Terrell supposed to think?

I'm sure Hardy doesn't even care about #81. He wore #82 in college.

Good grief people ... what in the h-e-double hockey sticks has Hardy done in this league to even warrant discussion ... give it to TO and move on ... he can have it back next year. It he became so attached to it ... give him 18 until TO leaves ...

I like that idea. If he looks in the mirror he will see himself wear 81. A win-win situation.

Lets not act as if this is the FIRST time a Bills player wanted a certain number.

When a player wants a number he passes cash to the guy who has it.

And knock on wood if Hardy doesn't regain full health? OR even become the breakout player we want him to be.

The best one of these number for hire stories that I've seen was in Seattle. The Seahawks "retired" #80 in honor of Steve Largent. A few years back they signed Jerry Rice. What number would he wear? #80 was already retired? Well, he got special permission from Steve Largent to wear #80. I always thought once a number was retired no one could ever wear it again. Evidently not so in Seattle.

I love this ProFeetsballSmack column because it establishes exhibit one in what may well be many overblown and overhyped TO stories about him being a cancer in the lockerroom and how likely regardless of how he is performing on the field (this is the real measure) from blogs to WGResque radio, to columnists like Sully, folks are gonna attempt to make nickels by selling ad space by filling column inches, air time and the blogosphere with ramblings based on conjecture rather than serious issues.

If Hardy publicly says he is pissed or miffed or if Hardy tells two sources who confirm to a reporter than he is pissed/miffed then this is news. This column is not news its just blather unless Florio actually chooses to do a little reporting on this.

An earlier post referred to him as well-respected. By who, as his Mom really does not count for labeling him well-respected. If Florio did some actual reporting and was diligent or good enough to get actual quotes or diligent or good enough to an outside source and a confirmation by another outside source then he would be respected.

Merely making a bunch of guesses based on conjecture and then pointing to the several guesses that proved to be correct really only gets you the respect of folks who are not watching.

Florio has provided piece of evidence #1 that the media is simply not to be believed unless they do some solid reporting and that stories like this one should simply be ignored for the most part.

I love this ProFeetsballSmack column because it establishes exhibit one in what may well be many overblown and overhyped TO stories about him being a cancer in the lockerroom and how likely regardless of how he is performing on the field (this is the real measure) from blogs to WGResque radio, to columnists like Sully, folks are gonna attempt to make nickels by selling ad space by filling column inches, air time and the blogosphere with ramblings based on conjecture rather than serious issues.

If Hardy publicly says he is pissed or miffed or if Hardy tells two sources who confirm to a reporter than he is pissed/miffed then this is news. This column is not news its just blather unless Florio actually chooses to do a little reporting on this.

An earlier post referred to him as well-respected. By who, as his Mom really does not count for labeling him well-respected. If Florio did some actual reporting and was diligent or good enough to get actual quotes or diligent or good enough to an outside source and a confirmation by another outside source then he would be respected.

Merely making a bunch of guesses based on conjecture and then pointing to the several guesses that proved to be correct really only gets you the respect of folks who are not watching.

Florio has provided piece of evidence #1 that the media is simply not to be believed unless they do some solid reporting and that stories like this one should simply be ignored for the most part.

Well Dazed, as someone recently posted about Andre Smith, I suspect that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I'm not gonna change your mind, nor you mine. But I implore you to read this link with patience and fairness.

http://www.slate.com/id/2172695/pagenum/2

It's not particularly praiseworthy of the site but I think it's fair enough.

Bottom line in my opinion on this (which you criticize) is that he started out as a blogger/rumor monger. He is an admitted provocateur. But he has evolved over time (I've been a reader for years) and despite his constant self-deprecation, a good journalist and one who has broken and maintained momentum on several big stories.

Without Florio Michael Vick might still be playing in the NFL and Chris Landry might still have a job.

He is independent and not bought and paid for like most reporters these days.

When he publishes a rumor he explicity states it as such.

And he increasingly has good sources and has a high "batting average" on stories.

He publishes a lot of unattractive stories which are not picked up by mainstream media sources. His present coverage of the NFLPA leadership struggle is compelling and nearly singular.

He is more than competent, extremely relevant and continues to raise his game.

He is well enough respected that he's a regular guest on the Dan Patrick Show and the Jim Rome show.

As a student of journalism and someone who worked in television and newspapers, I would choose ProFootballTalk if I had only one resource for the culture of the NFL. As the article states:

"Veteran reporters like Peter King and Chris Mortensen have a symbiotic relationship with the NFL and can't afford to jeopardize their positions by publishing stories that will hurt the league."

Florio left ESPN after one week because they meddled with the content of his stories. They didn't want him stepping on toes.

I think your treatment of him is unfair. He is incredibly committed to his work, he is credible, fair, interesting, and very intelligent.

No more controversy regarding #81 jersy

case closed

Not exactly. I was listening to ESPN Radio this morning with Erica Sillyass and some other lackey and they said that giving TO #81 without TO paying Hardy money for it or taking another number was "enabling" him. :huh:

Hardy can have 82 back after Reed is traded/released.

See wasn't that easy? No problem!

Why would he want Reed's number three, or four, years from now?