How Many Think Marshawn Will Stay Out of Trouble For Three Years?

How many of you think Marshawn will stay out of trouble for three years?

He was sentenced to three years of probation. Although probation requirements vary, pretty much the minimum is that the probationer must refrain from unlawful behavior. So if Marshawn gets in trouble again within three years, he will be facing TWO problems, his new violation and a parole violation. Parole violations are serious stuff.

This is serious, and I haven't heard anyone saying anything about this. Frankly, his recent record doesn't give confidence that he is capable of staying out of trouble for that length of time.

For a gun-related violation, he is very likely to have been ordered to stay away from guns for the period of probation. Again, does that sound like something he will do? We can't know the conditions of his probation, but they could range from "stay out of trouble" to some serious things like staying away from convicted felons, stay away from alcohol and drugs, travel restrictions, gun restrictions, who knows?

If he breaks probation, he would likely be facing jail time.

How many of you think Marshawn will stay out of trouble for three years?

He was sentenced to three years of probation. Although probation requirements vary, pretty much the minimum is that the probationer must refrain from unlawful behavior. So if Marshawn gets in trouble again within three years, he will be facing TWO problems, his new violation and a parole violation. Parole violations are serious stuff.

This is serious, and I haven't heard anyone saying anything about this. Frankly, his recent record doesn't give confidence that he is capable of staying out of trouble for that length of time.

For a gun-related violation, he is very likely to have been ordered to stay away from guns for the period of probation. Again, does that sound like something he will do? We can't know the conditions of his probation, but they could range from "stay out of trouble" to some serious things like staying away from convicted felons, stay away from alcohol and drugs, travel restrictions, gun restrictions, who knows?

If he breaks probation, he would likely be facing jail time.

He's 22 and did some stupid things. If he doesn't, he's going to jail and possibly losing a million dollar NFL career. I'm not too worried about it. He doesn't grow by now, it's on him. Nothing, IMO, to really worry about.

I hope for the best for him, but I don't see him being 'issue free' from his 22nd year to his 25th year. Probation also means routine unannounced drug and alchol screening and reporting all his activities. If he 'forgets' something he did/attended and it comes to light, it's a violation of parole. Then there's the paparazzi/ill-willers who'll be watching him to see if he slips up.

Just don't see him pulling this off successfully..

I hope for the best for him, but I don't see him being 'issue free' from his 22nd year to his 25th year. Probation also means routine unannounced drug and alchol screening and reporting all his activities. If he 'forgets' something he did/attended and it comes to light, it's a violation of parole. Then there's the paparazzi/ill-willers who'll be watching him to see if he slips up.

The court order also said that he can be subject to search at anytime, anywhere for anything.

The team statement angered me, because it featured a now-standard statement that always pi$$es me off. It featured the following, now standard statement:

- " (INSERT @SSHOLE ATHLETE'S NAME HERE) has accepted responsibility for his actions..."

-

Oh, really? Does anyone understand that "accepting responsibility" is NOT a synonym for"got caught"? Idiot Micheal Vick's lawyer really made me mad when he said it, AFTER Vick tried to throw up every disclaimer imaginable. "Um, OK, I'll admit that I might have been somewhere else in the same state when the dogs were being killed ... but I was most definitely NOT involved." But he "accepted responsibility," according to his lawyer. Yeah, after eyewitnesses placed him at the scene and involved in the acts.

-

In Marshawn's case, to "accept responsibility" could involve, oh, I dunno ... maybe showing up for the damn hearing? Maybe making a statement about the weed, and asking for drug counselling? Maybe even not sitting in an unregistered car smoking weed with a loaded gun in the trunk in the first damn place.

-

Anyhow, to answer the original question posted in this thread ... Will he stay out of trouble for three years? HIGHLY unlikely. I quit smoking grass myself last year. But I can tell you one thing ... I remember the situations it sometimes put me in. If you hang out in unplated vehicles, smoke weed in public, stash a loaded sidearm in the trunk while doing so, and (in ML's case) possess the intelligence of a styrofoam cup, there's - shall we say - at least a CHANCE it won't turn out well.

-

Oh, and don't kid yourselves for a second that the Commish will say, "See? He beat the gun rap, AND they didn't even CHARGE him for the weed! No harm, no foul..." Trust me on that one.

We all do stupid things when we are young. Even 3 years from now he'll still be just 25, and how many of us did stupid things more than once when we we're in our early 20's? He'll get counseling and eventually learn from his mistakes. So he smoked weed with his boyz in a black Mercedes with a loaded illegal firearm? It's all good... a victimless crime. We should also remember that there is a very good chance that if he was white nobody would care. I say, even if he does get into more trouble off the field why should we hold it against him? We have to have some compassion for a young guy from a tough neighborhood who hits it rich. Confusing times...besides, he issued an apology to the public through his lawyer, so why don't we accept it?

Time for everyone to chill...it's just Marshawn being Marshawn.

Yup, I agree with the OP and with Chandler.

This is a whole different ball game than someone having a "brush" with the law. Now, he is just plain under the microscope and I hate to say this but I'm worried about him even having legal troubles from his 22nd year to his 23rd year.

500k of Citibank stock says he doesn't make it...new objective...he stays at Dave and Buster's for 3 years playing Pole Position...the racing game.

That is a lot of stock. At the rate they are going it could be a million shares.

This is a very thought provoking post, Thurman. And a very critical question for the Bills as an organization. When it comes to investing millions in a young (and immature) man's career they have to be careful obviously. It's not something they can just pooh-pooh like some of us here by saying, "Hey, he's young. We all do stupid things when we're young, yada yada yada."

Does his past predict his future? Will he, as he stated, "learn" from it and stay out of trouble? Well, if last year's incident is any indication, he didn't take any lessons from that experience.

I love Marshawn as a running back. I've literally never seen someone run with more heart and desire. The two most important (and uncoachable) qualities a player needs IMHO. But that's strictly from a fan perspective. From an organizational standpoint, it wouldn't surprise me at all if the Bills are looking to cut their losses and move him.

Regardless, I wish him well and hope that he can stay away from doing something that would cause him to lose his career. God only knows what challenges he's faced in the environment that shaped him. But if he can somehow garner the same desire to change as he shows on the field, he'll be ok. If not, well then I hope he gets the help he needs.

GO BILLS!!!

This is a very thought provoking post, Thurman. And a very critical question for the Bills as an organization. When it comes to investing millions in a young (and immature) man's career they have to be careful obviously. It's not something they can just pooh-pooh like some of us here by saying, "Hey, he's young. We all do stupid things when we're young, yada yada yada."

Does his past predict his future? Will he, as he stated, "learn" from it and stay out of trouble? Well, if last year's incident is any indication, he didn't take any lessons from that experience.

I love Marshawn as a running back. I've literally never seen someone run with more heart and desire. The two most important (and uncoachable) qualities a player needs IMHO. But that's strictly from a fan perspective. From an organizational standpoint, it wouldn't surprise me at all if the Bills are looking to cut their losses and move him.

Regardless, I wish him well and hope that he can stay away from doing something that would cause him to lose his career. God only knows what challenges he's faced in the environment that shaped him. But if he can somehow garner the same desire to change as he shows on the field, he'll be ok. If not, well then I hope he gets the help he needs.

GO BILLS!!!

How many years does he have left on his contract? Is it the three? I can see the Bills letting it go until the last year and make sure he hasn't had any run ins. Of course if he doesn't and he's still producing that will be a hell of a contract.

We all do stupid things when we are young. Even 3 years from now he'll still be just 25, and how many of us did stupid things more than once when we we're in our early 20's? He'll get counseling and eventually learn from his mistakes. So he smoked weed with his boyz in a black Mercedes with a loaded illegal firearm? It's all good... a victimless crime. We should also remember that there is a very good chance that if he was white nobody would care. I say, even if he does get into more trouble off the field why should we hold it against him? We have to have some compassion for a young guy from a tough neighborhood who hits it rich. Confusing times...besides, he issued an apology to the public through his lawyer, so why don't we accept it?

Marshawn being Marshawn hasn't exactly worked out for the public or himself. I understand where you are coming from when you talk about the problems 20 something year olds have growing up. With that being said his infractions go a little beyond that of a normal kid. Their are lots of players who play in the NFL that don't act like complete idiots in public. How hard is it to party at home, register a handgun, or not drive drunk and hit a women? He's a likeable kid from a bad neighborhood, but deserves the same treatment any of us would get. The law doesn't care where he came from and neither do I. We all have problems, grow the hell up and act like a man. Your also way off base when you say that if Marshawn was white nobody would care. If it were Poz the story would be just as noteworthy. I hope he turns it around but I have some serious doubts.

I just turned 26 and am from a good family/neighborhood, am not even close to rich and I'm still PLANNING on doing some really stupid things for hoboken st. patty's day tomorrow. Luckily, 1)I'm white, so I probably won't get caught, and 2)I'm not famous so even if I do my job would probably never find out and 3) My job sucks anyway. :beer::lol:

Marshawn being Marshawn hasn't exactly worked out for the public or himself. I understand where you are coming from when you talk about the problems 20 something year olds have growing up. With that being said his infractions go a little beyond that of a normal kid. Their are lots of players who play in the NFL that don't act like complete idiots in public. How hard is it to party at home, register a handgun, or not drive drunk and hit a women? He's a likeable kid from a bad neighborhood, but deserves the same treatment any of us would get. The law doesn't care where he came from and neither do I. We all have problems, grow the hell up and act like a man. Your also way off base when you say that if Marshawn was white nobody would care. If it were Poz the story would be just as noteworthy. I hope he turns it around but I have some serious doubts.

Good post - invoked a couple of memories:

A youngish worker of mine when I lived in PGH once opined that if he ever came into a pile - we were chatting about a big lottery prize at the time - said that if he won, he'd get on a plane and check into one of those spas that feed you groats, bean sprouts, etc., staffed by the likes of Nurse Ratchit. The idea being to clean out his head and knock sense into it.

Another is hockey player Mario Lemieux. Drafted 1st in 1984 at age 19, I had read that his family and the Pens conspired to place him with a local family that kept him on a curfew, kept an eye on him, clamped down on his spending loot so that he wouldn't get into the trouble that a fat wallet can get one into.

Great. When Marshawn continues to be Marshawn, he can watch the Bills games from behind bars.

Then maybe Marshawn's new "roomamte" will be impressed with "Marshawn being Marshawn".