Ask Tim Graham

Lori

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you all really want to put the man in the position where he has to keep commenting on a colleague at ESPN?

:blink:

Let it go. Leave the Mort stuff for the rest of the board. He's not gonna throw a co-worker under the bus and he shouldn't. Move on to another topic and don't broach this one again. JMO

Do you all really want to put the man in the position where he has to keep commenting on a colleague at ESPN?
:blink:

Let it go. Leave the Mort stuff for the rest of the board. He's not gonna throw a co-worker under the bus and he shouldn't. Move on to another topic and don't broach this one again. JMO

I agree completely.

I guess that in and of itself is a reason to avoid drafting a safety in the Top 10 when you have other needs.

Ed Reed would not look average on the Bills defense... that guy is a straight up freak. But I do agree that Whitner would benefit strongly with better talent around him. Thanks.

Also have you heard anything on whether T.O. is going to get to wear #81? James Hardy currently wears that number for the Bills.

Ed Reed is a straight up freak because he had guys like Ray Lewis, Terrell Suggs and Bart Scott in front of him. Rex Ryan then unleashed Reed to gamble. Without that personnel and Ryan's philosophy, Reed doesn't do the same things. Sure, he can return a ball when he intercepts it no matter who he's playing with, but those chances dry up in a less dynamic defense.

As of this afternoon, the Bills weren't even sure who was going to wear what number. There was the idea Owens might switch to 18 if he didn't insist on taking Hardy's number.

I like Donte Whitner. The thing about safeties, however, is that no other position's naked-eye performance is as dependent on the overall strength of a team's defense. Put Ed Reed on the Bills defense, and he'll look average.

Thank you.

I'm wouldn't go so far as to say Ed Reed would look "average", but he wouldn't be given the freedom to do what makes him special in Baltimore.

EDIT: Let me clarify that by saying that Ed's skills are not average, so he would be making plays at an above average level...but not produce "big plays" anywhere near the level he does in Baltimore. In reality, Ed might look terrible at times, if he played with Buffalo, as he is a sub-standard tackler, and doesn't have the support of a suburb cast to make up for it.

C'mon Tim, Polian was a HUGE Wilson mistake...but Mularkey was not taking this team to the playoffs because he'd still have Losman at the helm who is sitting alone in free agency and may be out of the NFL for good. Donahoe drove this franchise into the ground from Johnson to Bledsoe to Losman, to the Mike Williams bust, to firing Rusty Jones, to letting Pat Williams walk, to confiscating fans signs the last few games. That was all Donahoe, and Wilson rightly ran him out of town.

Mort needs to check his feelings for Wilson at the door when he walks into work and lose the cheap shots. Bills fans are tired of hearing about Donahoe every time the Bills are mentioned.

Edit: TD didn't release Smith/Reed/Thomas, my bad.

This debate is illogical. You're speculating about where the Bills would be today based on your opinion of Mularkey, Donahoe and Losman. And then you say Mortensen needs to check his feelings at the door.

No, he doesn't. He gets paid to have educated, strong opinions. He generates his opinions from spending practically every waking hour of his day talking to people in the NFL.

If you disagree, fine. If you choose to be irritated, fine. But I would suggest you accept one man's opinion as an opinion and not let it ruin your day.

But I will say this: For those so pumped up about the T.O. signing, it's straight out of Donahoe's managerial playbook. People are ecstatic the Bills are trying something so creative and daring. Isn't that what Donahoe was best at?

Tim what is your opinion on the chances of an uncapped 2010 season or a possible 2010 lockout. The union has threatened to decertify and I would think if the NFL declared bankruptcy it would nullify all pre-existing union contracts. How ugly do you see this getting?

Tim what is your opinion on the chances of an uncapped 2010 season or a possible 2010 lockout. The union has threatened to decertify and I would think if the NFL declared bankruptcy it would nullify all pre-existing union contracts. How ugly do you see this getting?

How could the NFL declare bankruptcy?

Ed Reed is a straight up freak because he had guys like Ray Lewis, Terrell Suggs and Bart Scott in front of him. Rex Ryan then unleashed Reed to gamble. Without that personnel and Ryan's philosophy, Reed doesn't do the same things. Sure, he can return a ball when he intercepts it no matter who he's playing with, but those chances dry up in a less dynamic defense.

As of this afternoon, the Bills weren't even sure who was going to wear what number. There was the idea Owens might switch to 18 if he didn't insist on taking Hardy's number.

Me, personally, I think it'd be pretty cool for TO to not wear 81 as a Bill. Perhaps it could signify a change in scenery, a change in attitude?

If you get a chance to interview TO, I'd be interested to know if he has started to think about his legacy in the NFL. He's certainly put up HOF numbers thus far in his career, but right now most people don't seem to mention him as a lock for the HOF (perhaps I'm wrong; I haven't really followed all TO's press clippings - if so, ignore all this). So, is there a chance he makes a conscience effort to tone down his rhetoric, concentrate on his play and try to be part of turning a franchise around - all in an effort to leave a more favorable lasting impression on HOF voters in the future?

Just a thought as hopeful and perhaps as selfish as it may be.

Thank you.

I'm wouldn't go so far as to say Ed Reed would look "average", but he wouldn't be given the freedom to do what makes him special in Baltimore.

EDIT: Let me clarify that by saying that Ed's skills are not average, so he would be making plays at an above average level...but not produce "big plays" anywhere near the level he does in Baltimore. In reality, Ed might look terrible at times, if he played with Buffalo, as he is a sub-standard tackler, and doesn't have the support of a suburb cast to make up for it.

I guess I should clarify ... He wouldn't be an average player, but his chances to make big plays would be so limited, he wouldn't be nearly as noticeable.

Just like Donte Whitner or Jim Leonhard looked behind the Bills' defense. Put some better talent in front of them and you'll see a different player.

I guess I should clarify ... He wouldn't be an average player, but his chances to make big plays would be so limited, he wouldn't be nearly as noticeable.

Just like Donte Whitner or Jim Leonhard looked behind the Bills' defense. Put some better talent in front of them and you'll see a different player.

That's what I'm saying, as well.

This debate is illogical. You're speculating about where the Bills would be today based on your opinion of Mularkey, Donahoe and Losman. And then you say Mortensen needs to check his feelings at the door.

No, he doesn't. He gets paid to have educated, strong opinions. He generates his opinions from spending practically every waking hour of his day talking to people in the NFL.

If you disagree, fine. If you choose to be irritated, fine. But I would suggest you accept one man's opinion as an opinion and not let it ruin your day.

But I will say this: For those so pumped up about the T.O. signing, it's straight out of Donahoe's managerial playbook. People are ecstatic the Bills are trying something so creative and daring. Isn't that what Donahoe was best at?

OK, so look at it this way. Based on what Bill in NYC says, he's basing his "guess" on how the Bills would fare with a busted QB, a Head Coach that was less than stellar, and a GM that lost a power struggle and was let go in Pittsburgh, and who was terrible in Buffalo and run out of town, and who never got another job in the NFL.

Now, Mort tells us different, and defends Donahoe like he's his dad or something. There's no basis to anything Mort says about Tom Donahoe. I mean, why does TD not have a job in the NFL?

Which one of the above guys....Bill in NYC or Mort are going on logical facts? At least Bills fans have a basis for their guesses, on where the Bills would be with TD, JP and Mularkey here.

The reason most Bills fans are sick and tired of Mort's act is that he throws Tom Donahoe's name in anywhere he can. And we get lectured on not letting Mort's opinion's ruin our day. I think Mr Mortensen should take the same advice and MOVE ON.

I have to admit this subject is beyond my grasp at the moment. The NHL lockout was the same way to me about a year out. I'm so focused on the day-to-day coverage of actual football, that the thought of trying to figure out such a broad and uncertain concept totally overwhelms me. But, as the NHL lockout became inevitable, I turned into an expert on it. As the uncapped year gets closer, I'll be able to comment more intelligently.

The reason most Bills fans are sick and tired of Mort's act is that he throws Tom Donahoe's name in anywhere he can. And we get lectured on not letting Mort's opinion's ruin our day. I think Mr Mortensen should take the same advice and MOVE ON.

Lead by example.

How could the NFL declare bankruptcy?

Figures don't lie but liars can figure. I think if they did that they'd have to open their books publicly and that puts the kaibash on that. I didn't think about that when I first posted it.

OK, so look at it this way. Based on what Bill in NYC says, he's basing his "guess" on how the Bills would fare with a busted QB, a Head Coach that was less than stellar, and a GM that lost a power struggle and was let go in Pittsburgh, and who was terrible in Buffalo and run out of town, and who never got another job in the NFL.

Now, Mort tells us different, and defends Donahoe like he's his dad or something. There's no basis to anything Mort says about Tom Donahoe. I mean, why does TD not have a job in the NFL?

Which one of the above guys....Bill in NYC or Mort are going on logical facts? At least Bills fans have a basis for their guesses, on where the Bills would be with TD, JP and Mularkey here.

Let it go.

Straight out of his playbook ... and they're certainly selling tickets.

And wise counsel in the bolded line.

A pass rush? I forget what one of those looks like. Fifty sacks in the last two seasons combined? To compare, Bills QBs from RJ to Bledsoe to Losman have endured 47 or more sacks in ONE season four times since 2000.

You're saying Chris Mortensen has no basis for his opinion on the Bills.

Based on that statement alone, I can't even begin to have a reasonable conversation with you.

Mike Mularkey has been considered a brilliant coach everywhere he has been except Buffalo, and Marv Levy wanted to retain him. Those are facts. The common thread to Bill Polian, John Butler and Tom Donahoe leaving is Ralph Wilson. Those are facts.

Why doesn't Tom Donahoe have a job in the NFL? Why doesn't Mike Shanahan? Why doesn't Steve Mariucci? Why doesn't Jim Fassel? Why doesn't Dennis Green? Stuff happens.

Clearly you're set in your opinion. I respect you as a passionate fan.

But I'm not going to get into a debate about whether or not Chris Mortensen has proper credentials to have an educated NFL opinion.

Based on that statement alone, I can't even begin to have a reasonable conversation with you.

Mike Mularkey has been considered a brilliant coach everywhere he has been except Buffalo, and Marv Levy wanted to retain him. Those are facts. The common thread to Bill Polian, John Butler and Tom Donahoe leaving is Ralph Wilson. Those are facts.

Why doesn't Tom Donahoe have a job in the NFL? Why doesn't Mike Shanahan? Why doesn't Steve Mariucci? Why doesn't Jim Fassel? Why doesn't Dennis Green? Stuff happens.

But I'm not going to get into a debate about whether or not Chris Mortensen has proper credentials to have an educated NFL opinion.

"Mike Mularkey has been considered a brilliant coach everywhere he has been except Buffalo"...and Miami.

"Mike Mularkey has been considered a brilliant coach everywhere he has been except Buffalo"...and Miami.

Tim covered that team as a beat writer for the Palm Beach Post. I suspect he has his own ideas of what happened there ...

Tim covered that team as a beat writer for the Palm Beach Post. I suspect he has his own ideas of what happened there ...

I'm trying to prod him, to share. :blink:

I think it's hard to count the stop with the Fins as successful, though.

He was considered good enough on that staff that Cam Cameron, an offensive guru who has been a great coordinator at many stops and insisted on calling the plays in Miami, secretly turned over the play-calling duties to Mularkey. The team was going down like the Titanic by then, but it indicated the respect Mularkey has within the coaching ranks. And we saw what Mularkey did with the Falcons last year. He'll be a head coach again, maybe next year.

I'm trying to prod him, to share. :blink:

I think it's hard to count the stop with the Fins as successful, though.

Everybody was a bum on that staff, including certified geniuses like Cam Cameron, Dom Capers, Terry Robiskie and Hudson Houck.

Everybody was a bum on that staff, including certified geniuses like Cam Cameron, Dom Capers, Terry Robiskie and Hudson Houck.

True. But, wasn't Mularkey demoted during his stay there? That's what I was referring to, when I said it can't be viewed as a success. OC to TE coach is not the track of the successful.

I actually liked Mike. Thought he was a good OC, and looked like he would be a good HC, after his first year. He really regressed in his 2nd year with the Bills, IMO. But many HC's have trouble in their first big gig. Look at Levy. I agree that Mike will likely get another look at HC, somewhere.

True. But, wasn't Mularkey demoted during his stay there? That's what I was referring to, when I said it can't be viewed as a success. OC to TE coach is not the track of the successful.

I actually liked Mike. Thought he was a good OC, and looked like he would be a good HC, after his first year. He really regressed in his 2nd year with the Bills, IMO. But many HC's have trouble in their first big gig. Look at Levy. I agree that Mike will likely get another look at HC, somewhere.

As I recall, that demotion came with the coaching change in Miami. And I know we love to beat MM up here, but the dump-Bledsoe-for-Losman move had a lot to do with the 2005 season's failings. Not sure we ever did find out exactly whose call that was.

As I recall, that demotion came with the coaching change in Miami. And I know we love to beat MM up here, but the dump-Bledsoe-for-Losman move had a lot to do with the 2005 season's failings. Not sure we ever did find out exactly whose call that was.

True. As it didn't end in success, everyone will disavow themselves of that call. Maybe we'll get Mike's version in his memoirs.

Shanny will be able to work again when and probably where he wants. The other three coaches have probably run their course. I can easily admit that. However, the laughable defending of Tom Donahoe, is just plain ridiculous. The thing is, everytime someone brings up why Tom Donahoe got run out of Pittsburgh, there is no answer. Also, Donahoe can't hold Bill Polian or John Butler's jock based on what they did in Buffalo, so Donahoe doesn't deserve to even be mentioned in that group. Ralph may be the problem, so be it. I don't think many Buffalo fans would refute that. And again, no one is clamoring for TD now. I mean, really, if you are going to lump TD with John Butler and Polian, neither of those two guys had any trouble getting jobs, post Buffalo.

No one said Mort doesn't have credentials to have an educated NFL opinion. His grudge against the Bills for getting rid of his buddy Donahoe is downright laughable though. If Polian and Butler were run out of here by Wilson (which they were), why doesn't he stick to those guys in bringing up he thinks Wilson is the problem, instead of bringing up TD every friggin question he answers about the Bills. After all, TD was awful while he was here. Polian and Butler were pretty good. Yet, he sticks to defending the guy who failed no matter what facts anyone throws at him. And there are a lot of things that measure TD's failures in multiple organizations.

Football fans go to guys like yourselves for information on their team that maybe we can't get ourselves. The sickening thing about Mort is that everytime we go to him about Bills information, Tom Donahoe, who wasn't successful here, gets thrown in our face. All the time. That's a letdown to those of us who want opinions on the current state of our team. And if he thinks Ralph is the problem, say so. Man up, and say so.

ESPN leads us to seek answers from whoever they deem good enough to give opinions to average fans. If they replaced Mort tomorrow with Tim Graham, we'd get better answers about the Bills from day 1.

It just gets old. We get excited looking to you guys for answers or clues on our favorite team, the Bills. Unfortunately, Mort is one of the ESPN guys we have to get it from. And yes, he's locked in to a lot of different sources. Except the fact that he's beating this grudge to death for Donahoe.

Mort blows when talking about the Bills. Hell, even Berman called him out on it last year on the air. It's really undefendable.

I promise I'm done, and sorry to bring this up, but he deserves all the crap he gets from Bills fans. And sorry to highjack the thread for awhile.

Sincerely, Tim, thanks for chatting with us here on TBD, you've been a breath of fresh air for Bills fans. I promise I'll shut up now, but damn this bugs me. LOL

Carry on.

Sorry I started this whole Mort thing Tim. I consider myself to be a part of the team because I associate myself with the Bills brand, I just love 'em. And so naturally I feel as though when Mort takes a shot at Ralph or the Bills, right or wrong, he's taking a shot at me too.

I just wish he didn't sound so bitter in his chats regarding the TD thing.

He was demoted from offensive coordinator to tight ends coach because Cam Cameron, the new head coach, insisted on being the offensive coordinator, too. But when Cameron realized he was in over his head, he handed the job back to Mularkey.

He was considered good enough on that staff that Cam Cameron, an offensive guru who has been a great coordinator at many stops and insisted on calling the plays in Miami, secretly turned over the play-calling duties to Mularkey. The team was going down like the Titanic by then, but it indicated the respect Mularkey has within the coaching ranks. And we saw what Mularkey did with the Falcons last year. He'll be a head coach again, maybe next year.

Is that you Mort? :blink:

We'll just have to agree to disagree here on Mr. Donahoe. I know folks in the NFL HQ here in NYC who told me some stories about him, so I have a biased view.

Moving on....

Any word on John McCargo of the Bills? Will the Bills be retaining him, or will they be using his as a package trade? Wouldn't shock me for the Bills to go DT early in the draft as a shocker.

Hey Tim-

Looks like T.O. has been keeping your blog real busy!

I was wondering what you think is the next move for the Bills F.O.. Will it be to sign one of the Linebackers they've had in to visit or possibly they're still trying to work a trade with K.C. for Waters? To me it would seem that June is just going to sit out there for a while. Maybe this will bring his price down a little and that's what they're banking on? As far as Waters I just wonder what the price would be and if it's worth it. I've been reading some rumblings about D. Bell possibly being an option at guard (which would save us some draft picks).

Thanks!

Hi Tim,

Great work covering all the ins and outs of the T.O. story. Wonderful reporting on your part. Anyway, I was wondering if you had heard anything new over the last couple of days concering the Bills plans for the offensive line, specifically the left guard spot vacated by Dockery. Best guess, is Buffalo going to obtain someone via trade or free agency, or are they more likely to go after multiple guys in the draft? Any rumors on this that you can and are willing to share?

Thanks.

To all Bills fans: Enough with the freaking Mort bashing! Even if he has a grudge against the Bills, let him enjoy it by himself. Jesus H. Christ in a pawnshop! If you don't like what he's saying, don't listen. If you don't like onions on your hamburger, don't order them.

Tim, any chance the Bills try to move up in the 1st round to grab the best defensive end? I think LDE is probably our weakest spot on the team at the moment. Thanks.

Tim, when Donahoe and Polian were here, it was easy to see who was at the head of the table in the draft room. Now that the Bills have this "Inner Circle" with Jauron, Wilson, Modrak, Guy and Brandon, who is the leader of the pack on draft day? I understand Wilson has obvious veto power, but please tell me our 90-year-old owner isn't the guy sitting there on the phone trying to negotiate a trade with Team X to trade up or down.

I thought it was interesting that the Bills didnt trade up or down in any round last year during the draft. Not that trading on draft weekend is a recipe for success, but there is something to be said for manuevering around to take the player you want at the proper value point. Does having this democracy type set-up hurt their ability to make quick decisions on draft day?