Ask Tim Graham

Lori

So you take a shot at me for not having a definitive response and you can't even come up with definitive parameters?

But if you need an answer I'll say Buffalo with absolutely no basis for that opinion. A pure guess, which makes for compelling conversation.

Not taking a shot, just asking a question. Thought I was listening to a congress critter with your answer. I am a black and white person. I don't believe in gray answers. :thumbsup: BTW, both would have been an acceptable answer just as neither would have been. Because I could see either scenero kappening. With the Bills pretty easy, because when we talk about our stars being Lynch and Evans, that in and f itself is a sad situation. Philly same thing, I can see Mcnabb getting in Peters face if Peters plays like last year, and the situation festoring. Just like Peters could do great, and our rooks as well.

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I truly do not see why, when we get an actual paid pro in here, you couch sitting wannabes continually attack Tim. Take his words for what they are; his words. Not facts based on stats or an incredible crystal ball. It's what he gets paid to do, analyze, form an opinion and then convey it in written form. It seems as though some of you are just trying to one-up him and show him that you are smarter or can provide more accurate analysis of football. If you are, then go get espn to hire you.

Tim,

Our OL is the biggest concern amongst people on this board. Aside from LT and RT, at what position would you choose to make a move on this team if you were the GM?

Not taking a shot, just asking a question. Thought I was listening to a congress critter with your answer. I am a black and white person. I don't believe in gray answers. :devil: BTW, both would have been an acceptable answer just as neither would have been. Because I could see either scenero kappening. With the Bills pretty easy, because when we talk about our stars being Lynch and Evans, that in and f itself is a sad situation. Philly same thing, I can see Mcnabb getting in Peters face if Peters plays like last year, and the situation festoring. Just like Peters could do great, and our rooks as well.

Great answer.

It wasn't a question about Peters specifically. So, your answer is inapposite in the sense of how Walker plays.

But, from what I recall, Edwards did miss games last year and ended the season with concerns he may need surgery on his throwing shoulder. It's a stretch to think that working behind a line that has never played 1 NFL snap together will absolutely, positively be a huge improvement simply because the big guy who held out won't be there.

As far as it goes, for this year it seems like you could, possibly, grade this trade by the matrix of how Peters and the Eagles do vs. how Walker and the Bills do. If both teams do great, then it was a good trade for both. If both teams suck and their LTs suck, then it was a bust trade for both. If the Bills do great and the Peters sucks, the Bills make out. If the Eagles do great and Walker plays like a journeyman, then the Eagles get the edge...

I disagree. You stated that if Walker gets abused, then Edwards gets killed. That, in and of itself, implies that Peters would do better than Walker and Edwards would not get killed if Peters was in there.

I simply implied that Edwards did get killed while Peters played; hence, he missed games last season. So, what's the difference? Last season, Peters' played and Edwards got sacked a bunch and missed a few games. If Walker is the LT and Edwards gets sacked and misses a few games, how is that any worse? In other words, why does trading Peters automatically mean that Trent gets killed and Fitzpatrick starts any more than if Peters was still here?

Essentially, I'm suggesting that our offense sucked pretty bad last season - with Peters. And it may suck without him, as well. However, it's not a foregone conclusion that'll it'll necessarily suck worse.

Hey Tim, what's up?

Have you heard anything on the Bills going after Levi Jones if the Bengals axe him? Supposedly that is what Chris Brown has heard and is the Bills are waiting for. Apparently this was one of the reason's they parted with JP. Thanks.

Tim,

Simple question for you: Pacquiao or Hatton?

I also want to thank you for the introduction to the word "droptastic". I plan to use it as much as possible.

I like Pacquiao in this one. Could be a classic.

Glad you appreciated my poetic license. If I still were writing for a newspaper, that word would probably never would have made it into print. I try to have fun when I write. Editors don't always agree, but at ESPN.com they give us a lot of literary freedom.

Hey Tim, what's up?

Have you heard anything on the Bills going after Levi Jones if the Bengals axe him? Supposedly that is what Chris Brown has heard and is the Bills are waiting for. Apparently this was one of the reason's they parted with JP. Thanks.

I've written a few times that there would be interest if the Bengals cut him, but I doubt they were banking on that when they traded Peters. What made Levi Jones expendable was that the Bengals drafted a tackle in the first round. If they had gone a different direction, then Jones wouldn't be available.

Tim,

what do you think of our new right guard, Thurman Merman? I hear he's got a nasty streak. Last time I heard that about a Bills rookie they were talking about Mike Williams. So there's that. Based on his draft video vignettes this curly haired kid don't look so great.

Is the NFL draft the most surreal event in sports? I think it is now that NBA rookies have stopped wearing pimp suits to the draft.

Last time I heard that about a Bills rookie they were talking about Mike Williams.

Did you sleep through all the talk about Butler, when he was drafted? Some thought he might be too nasty to be a Bill.

Tim,

what do you think of our new right guard, Thurman Merman? I hear he's got a nasty streak. Last time I heard that about a Bills rookie they were talking about Mike Williams. So there's that. Based on his draft video vignettes this curly haired kid don't look so great.

Is the NFL draft the most surreal event in sports? I think it is now that NBA rookies have stopped wearing pimp suits to the draft.

I don't know what "video vignettes" you were watching, but I enjoyed the ones they showed where he was putting people on the ground and punishing people in front of his RBs down field on long runs and screens. You are the only person I have seen making any analysis of him who claims that Wood doesn't look like he is going to be a solid player in the NFL. And MW had serious concerns about work ethic. This kid doesn't.

I like Pacquiao in this one. Could be a classic.

Glad you appreciated my poetic license. If I still were writing for a newspaper, that word would probably never would have made it into print. I try to have fun when I write. Editors don't always agree, but at ESPN.com they give us a lot of literary freedom.

I agree. Hatton is as tough as they come and seems to be in great shape, but Pac is just the better fighter. I think Ricky is going to catch a beating tonight and be a bloody mess before the end of the night. I am actually heading to the fight in a little while. The atmosphere is going to be insane. Pac in 9!

I know you have been given props already, but that Maybin article was fantastic. I hardly ever post on here, but I was one of the few Bills fans out there who was 100% against drafting Orakpo. The more I learn about Maybin, the more I feel like my stance was justified. Keep up the great work.

Tim,

Mmmmm. A ham sammy.

Tim,

I'm curious about how an assignment like the Maybin article typically arises. Who decides that it should be written and how is the subject chosen? Do you have input on which player it will be?

It seems like this kind of article is written about at least one rookie per team every year. Inevitably the fans then latch onto that player and build him up before he's even played a single game... like Donte for example. If the player lives up to expectations on the field the momentum builds... if not, a backlash is inevitable... like in Donte's case.

Your articles are always fair and don't over-hype the player. But it seems that regardless of the angle that's taken, there's an inescapable element of mythmaking in this type of article. I imagine that's what the readers want, that's what your editor wants, that's what the team wants, and that's what the player wants. It's really what spectator sports is all about.

An interesting story can be written about almost any player. So who chooses the player, and how is the decision made? The top pick is the obvious choice, but what if the guy's a jerk? In that case the article usually hints at the fact that he's a jerk but the myth will still be made. "He's a jerk, but he's the kind of jerk you like to have on your team and hate to play against." That sorta thing.

So it goes.

Tim,

I'm curious about how an assignment like the Maybin article typically arises. Who decides that it should be written and how is the subject chosen? Do you have input on which player it will be?

It seems like this kind of article is written about at least one rookie per team every year. Inevitably the fans then latch onto that player and build him up before he's even played a single game... like Donte for example. If the player lives up to expectations on the field the momentum builds... if not, a backlash is inevitable... like in Donte's case.

Your articles are always fair and don't over-hype the player. But it seems that regardless of the angle that's taken, there's an inescapable element of mythmaking in this type of article. I imagine that's what the readers want, that's what your editor wants, that's what the team wants, and that's what the player wants. It's really what spectator sports is all about.

An interesting story can be written about almost any player. So who chooses the player, and how is the decision made? The top pick is the obvious choice, but what if the guy's a jerk? In that case the article usually hints at the fact that he's a jerk but the myth will still be made. "He's a jerk, but he's the kind of jerk you like to have on your team and hate to play against." That sorta thing.

So it goes.

It's little different from, say, a new poster to a message board. The world is full of hope that said new poster will bring something to the board. Sometimes he/she does. Sometimes he/she doesn't. And first impressions count for a lot.

But the difference between say, you, and Maybin, is that Tim Graham isn't writing an article about you. So it goes.

Tim,

I'm sure its beating a dead horse still but any news on fast freddie jackson's contract status?? I am sure it befuddles everyone as to why the bills would not lock this guy up. If we let him walk, I can foresee Bellicheck getting his hands on him. Just a hunch, but that guy knows how to pick good football players.

thanks and keep up the good writing,

ryan

I agree. Hatton is as tough as they come and seems to be in great shape, but Pac is just the better fighter. I think Ricky is going to catch a beating tonight and be a bloody mess before the end of the night. I am actually heading to the fight in a little while. The atmosphere is going to be insane. Pac in 9!

I know you have been given props already, but that Maybin article was fantastic. I hardly ever post on here, but I was one of the few Bills fans out there who was 100% against drafting Orakpo. The more I learn about Maybin, the more I feel like my stance was justified. Keep up the great work.

Thanks for the kind words on the Maybin piece, Lone Wolf. They seem like genuinely classy people. They're easy to like.