Matt Cassel traded to Chiefs

BLZFAN4LIFE

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, it is a fair trade. hopefully the pats* pick is a bust

Like their Chad Jackson pick at about number 40 two years ago. Despite all the ball washing that goes on over the Pats* in the media they haven't had a good draft in several years now, and that was with Pioli and Dimitroff. Last year's pick of Mayo (at number 10, no less) was about the only really good young player they've added--Maroney's looking like a bust, Meriweather's pretty pedestrian and I can't even really think of anyone else from recent drafts there who contributes at all to their success. Will be interesting to see how they do in future without 2/3rds of their old braintrust.....

The Patriots now have three 2nd Round picks and four in the first two rounds altogether. That's the stuff championship teams are made of right there. You move players and get picks to make your team better. They've also added some key FA's over the years as well. God knows I can't stand them, but they are the SMARTEST RUN organization in the NFL. Period.

Like their Chad Jackson pick at about number 40 two years ago. Despite all the ball washing that goes on over the Pats* in the media they haven't had a good draft in several years now, and that was with Pioli and Dimitroff. Last year's pick of Mayo (at number 10, no less) was about the only really good young player they've added--Maroney's looking like a bust, Meriweather's pretty pedestrian and I can't even really think of anyone else from recent drafts there who contributes at all to their success. Will be interesting to see how they do in future without 2/3rds of their old braintrust.....

You're right about their drafting prowess of late. Mayo was definitely a hit, but he's been the exception.

Chiefs acquired Matt Cassel and Mike Vrabel in exchange for the 34th overall pick in the 2009 draft pick.

Patriots* fans won't be happy, but speculation is that New England* preferred the second-round pick over the third overall because of the contract value. They have three second-round picks now and also likely felt pressure to get Cassel's cap number off the books quickly to move forward in free agency. Clearly, the couldn't get a better deal elsewhere and they are confident in Tom Brady's health. Cassel was not a lock to have success everywhere, but he's set up as a long-term fantasy starter with Scott Pioli and coach Todd Haley playing to his strengths. The Chiefs will likely incorporate a pass-first, shotgun-heavy offense. This is great news for Dwayne Bowe and company.

Salaries for the top 10 picks are outrageous!

And the Vrabel deal suddenly makes more sense.

And if Pioli got both those guys for a second-rounder, the league really needs to look into a collusion case between those two franchises.

This is the first thing I thought of too--and is very worrisome.

I would hope the NFL at least takes a hard look at this deal. If Cassell wasn't shopped to other teams or other suitors were told "no" or other teams offered more than the #34 overall, then this will reek of collusion.

Chiefs acquired Matt Cassel and Mike Vrabel in exchange for the 34th overall pick in the 2009 draft pick.

Patriots* fans won't be happy, but speculation is that New England* preferred the second-round pick over the third overall because of the contract value.

Bahahahaha! "You know, the 3rd overall makes too much money, so we'll just take the 2nd rounder instead." Yeah, I'm sure that's how it went.

Bahahahaha! "You know, the 3rd overall makes too much money, so we'll just take the 2nd rounder instead." Yeah, I'm sure that's how it went.

I believe it's true. Miami couldn't trade the #1 pick last year. Nobody wants to trade into the top 10. Even though Jerry Jones coveted McFadden last year he didn't want to trade up due to salary concerns. He said if McFadden fell to the 11th pick he'd make a trade if possible. The fact that the Pets* didn't want to trade for next years #1 is suspicious.

I believe it's true.

If the Chefs were offering the 3rd overall and the Patriots didn't want it (and I'm not disputing that the Patriots didn't want it), the Patriots would have asked for the 2nd and several picks. Or a 1st next year.