Today's NFL and the Bills Role

Big Frank

This topic has nothing to do about the Bills not signing a free agent on day 1, but rather how I am discouraged as a fan of todays landscape. Not only is Ralph have cheap pockets, free agency has ruined a small markets team of competing. Yes, while I recognize a garbage team can make a quick turnaround, but The Bills cant because (1) no free agent wants to play in the cold (2) we blow (3) and if there was a remote chance a FA wanted to play here, we dont have the Pockets to pay him.

The Bills were much better suited to survive in a league where you build thru the draft and that player was yours for his career. Under this assumption, I am convinced our days of winning a championship will never happen. Trust me, I am far from doom and gloom, but just wonder why I waste my time. Not a fair weather fan, just fairly disappointed.

Any thoughts?

This topic has nothing to do about the Bills not signing a free agent on day 1, but rather how I am discouraged as a fan of todays landscape. Not only is Ralph have cheap pockets, free agency has ruined a small markets team of competing. Yes, while I recognize a garbage team can make a quick turnaround, but The Bills cant because (1) no free agent wants to play in the cold (2) we blow (3) and if there was a remote chance a FA wanted to play here, we dont have the Pockets to pay him.

The Bills were much better suited to survive in a league where you build thru the draft and that player was yours for his career. Under this assumption, I am convinced our days of winning a championship will never happen. Trust me, I am far from doom and gloom, but just wonder why I waste my time. Not a fair weather fan, just fairly disappointed.

Any thoughts?

Which is why no one signs with, Pats, Steelers, Bears, Browns....another logical argument why we suck.

Who won the Super Bowl this year? Oh yeah, a cold weather, blue collar city. Chill out. Our time will come again. Jauron and his staff are well-liked and will recruit some solid talent. Welcome to just the second day of free agency.

true, not only cold weather city, but we get the worrt rep. Plus cash can offset cold , but we dont pay. Or a dynasty like N.E. Steelers fall into that. They can retain best players with cash or a winning cycle over time. We lack all.

I still truly believe that rather than sign a player like Dockery for $50M, Ralph needs to say screw it, I am going to pay that to a SolidCoach to turn this thing aroug. You pay I guy a $1M to run your team, that what you get..garbage. Screw a FE signing like Coles , pay that ig Money to like a Cowher or a Schotenheimer (spelling) to right the ship

Like I said, I am not a doom and gloomer, but I have watched this teams for years like many on this boardwith strict devotion and its always the same.

it has nothing to do with the city or the cold

it has everything to do with the Owner and the way he runs this franchise, and the fact that we have a coach that everyone knows will not be here after next season

Ralph created a mess and it is obvious to the NFL that there are better places to be.

Ralph setting the team up for sale. Make the team one of the worst in nfl,means less fans,outrage of the diehards. This adds up to a less painfull sale. Sad but true. :w00t:

If you actually believe Ralph has any intentions of selling the team, then I think you should join us in the real world. He's made it perfectly clear he has no intentions of ever selling the team

If you actually believe Ralph has any intentions of selling the team, then I think you should join us in the real world. He's made it perfectly clear he has no intentions of ever selling the team

When he passes or can no longer mentally run the team. His daughter won`t have much in the team,which leads to a bigger profit.$$$

When he passes or can no longer mentally run the team. His daughter won`t have much in the team,which leads to a bigger profit.$$$

I had not wanted to believe that, but after seeing our actions this week (blowing two big holes in our offense with the release of Dockery and Royal, with no real chance or effort of replacing them with even comparable players), you may be right.

it has nothing to do with the city or the cold

it has everything to do with the Owner and the way he runs this franchise, and the fact that we have a coach that everyone knows will not be here after next season

Ralph created a mess and it is obvious to the NFL that there are better places to be.

That's pretty much dead on...

It's certainly not the type of reasoning the Bills Players had while giving Dead Dick these ringing endorsements as the NFL's #1 super duper nice guy!!!...I mean...It's all great that they could join hands, sing Kum By Ya, have their little happy circle jerk, and praise their lifelong loser of a HC...But I digress...

Seriously...If The Bills have competition for a Free Agent, the money offers are about the same, and that competition is not Cincy or Detroit...well...Who in their right mind thinks a UFA is going to CHOOSE Buffalo in that scenerio?...Now think about this...A UFA worth having is ALWAYS going to draw interest from multiple Teams...And there You have it...Fred Taylor had to be laughing hysterically at his "choice." What a joke...

Dead Dick was actually correct in his last Presser when He hoped out-loud that The Bills would get more bounces of the Ball their way in 09...Because without a REAL good Draft, a few lucky UFA pickups that almost no one else wants, and a lot of luck, this Team is going nowhere in the AFC East...They are clearly the 4th best Team right now in Division...And keeping that loser of a dead duck HC around is not going to help anything this off season...:w00t:

It's not the cold. Players, or any employees, want to work for a positive organization where they see an opportunity to achieve their goals. In this case, those goals are to win, gain some notariety professionally, and get paid well. They also look for stability, as in "is this coach that is telling me what my role is, is he going to be around for the future?". While the Bills CAN pay competitively, they usually don't. But even if they do, none of the other intangibles are in place. Why WOULD any free agent want to come to this dysfunctional organization? The fans are the best, but the organization is, w/ a nod to Cinncinati, maybe the worst in the NFL.

It's certainly not the type of reasoning the Bills Players had while giving Dead Dick these ringing endorsements as the NFL's #1 super duper nice guy!!!...I mean...It's all great that they could join hands, sing Kum By Ya, have their little happy circle jerk, and praise their lifelong loser of a HC...But I digress...

The ringing endorsement of DJ ends with the 53rd player on the Bills roster. It does not extend to other teams, and despite talk to the contrary I don't believe the Bills give the impression of a team on the rise. Keeping the head coach may have maintained "continuity" but it certainly did nothing to attract potential players to Buffalo.

The Bills could be successful as a small market team. Pittsburgh's done it without huge FA signings. But the main difference between Buffalo and Pittsburgh is simple: Buffalo's front office is made up of people who answer to a micromanaging owner who has his CFO Littman attached to his hip. The power resides in those two people. When it came to retaining DJ, football people did not make the decision. The owner did, and the entire league knows it. That is why Buffalo is irrelevant in today's NFL.

The ringing endorsement of DJ ends with the 53rd player on the Bills roster. It does not extend to other teams, and despite talk to the contrary I don't believe the Bills give the impression of a team on the rise. Keeping the head coach may have maintained "continuity" but it certainly did nothing to attract potential players to Buffalo.

The Bills could be successful as a small market team. Pittsburgh's done it without huge FA signings. But the main difference between Buffalo and Pittsburgh is simple: Buffalo's front office is made up of people who answer to a micromanaging owner who has his CFO Littman attached to his hip. The power resides in those two people. When it came to retaining DJ, football people did not make the decision. The owner did, and the entire league knows it. That is why Buffalo is irrelevant in today's NFL.

Agreed... :D

Any thoughts?

Your prdictions are a bit dire. Dan Snyder has shown everybody that you can't buy a team - same can be said for Jerry Jones - Buffalo has to improve at QB and frankly Dickie and staff have to get smarter. I really do not believe at the end of the day that the Cheatriots roster - top to bottom is that much better than the Bills. - They play better, they are coached better and their front office is smarter about how to manage the team overall. You can't tell me that Matt Cassell is a superstar - he was developed and handled far better. He wa not required to play according to gameplans that made no sense and were entirely predictable.

Which is why no one signs with, Pats, Steelers, Bears, Browns....another logical argument why we suck.

I guess you just don't get it. The Pats and Steelers are first class organizations that have a winning tradition and are well run and winners each year. CHicagoi is a big city, has the money to spend. Cleveland is a step up on Buffalo and who have they ever signed? The Bills are the last place anyone would want to go. The city is depressing, the team is in shambles, the owner has one foot in the grave so there is an uncertainty as to what will happen when he goes. Toronto?? Don't kid yourself, its a possibility, the NFL would love it, its a Major city, The only thing the Bills have going for it, is the passion of their fans is unparallel, but even that is waning.

A couple people had mentioned this - but why does a top tier free agent want to play for a lame duck head coach?

That and I don't think you're 100% correct though on the original post - the Steelers aren't huge players in free agency, they simply kept one of their own (granted not something we usually do) and they don't pay guys huge contracts - so it's not about the city or small market or whatever - players aren't excited about playing for Dick.