Apparently the FO screwed up trading Dockery

coastalpika

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the bigger question is why wait until the last day before testing the trade market for a guy you want to dump --

unless the Bills slept through most of the off-season and just realized Dockery was due a big bonus.

With the Detroit trip a fact and Dockery already under a new contract, there were at least 2 teams with serious interest in him.

Just another in a long line of decisions to waste resources, and create huge holes needlessly.

Somebody will probably get a promotion for this

another interesting take on the alleged "debacle"

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/

The only reason the Bills were under the gun, was because they waited until the last minute to do anything.

At least 2 teams showed interest in Dockery, there were probably more if the Bills had aggressively pursued a trade more than a day before the bonus was due.

-- although Dockery may not have been worth the $50 mil deal, the Bills already paid the worst of it in $18.5.

The $1.75 bonus seems like chump change when the Bills have 1 interior OL under contract.

Someone made a knee jerk last minute decision which will cripple the Bills OL for 2009

One major hole i see in the theory is that there was a trading moratorium until friday at 12:01am. Teams can agree in principle on a trade before then (like the Vikes and Rosenfels). But, if the Bills owed Dockery $ at the 4pm thursday deadline, there's no way they could have traded him before then.

the discussion probably went something like this

Raplh: Well boys sounds good, lets get this deal done. Send this in aaaaa Russ.

Russ: Did you say "send the contract on a Bus"?

Ralph: Eh? (sounds like Yeah)

Russ: Looks puzzled - but then the lightbulb goes on

Russ: Aren't you going back to Detroit tonight Raplh?

Ralph: Yes sure am son

Russ: Why dont you just take the trade offer.conttract and drop it off on your way, the price of paper has gone up and we can save a little.

Ralph: Now thats the kind of spirit I am lookin for!

Chambers and Bell are both interior lineman and under contract, just off the top of my head. So, I know we have more than 1.

Walker can be moved to OG if need be, with Chambers playing RT. But the Bills still need a center. Come on down, Geoff Hangartner!

And the trade report is still BS. But for good measure, I e-mailed Jason La Canfora and asked him to explain what happened, if not give some proof. Let's see what he says.

Give it some time, I'm sure Tim Graham is working on this an will provide an explination. That dude is on top of everything Bills related.

I hope so, because at this point I'm just confused. I don't have a hard time believing that our inexperienced front office would make a blunder like this but a lot about the story just doesn't smell right to me.

The only reason the Bills were under the gun, was because they waited until the last minute to do anything.

At least 2 teams showed interest in Dockery, there were probably more if the Bills had aggressively pursued a trade more than a day before the bonus was due.

-- although Dockery may not have been worth the $50 mil deal, the Bills already paid the worst of it in $18.5.

The $1.75 bonus seems like chump change when the Bills have 1 interior OL under contract.

Someone made a knee jerk last minute decision which will cripple the Bills OL for 2009

Based on the three articles to date, there is absolutely no basis upon which to conclude this. In fact, the opposite is true.

I completely agree with this guy's assessment of the situation. The Bills were NOT going to pay this guy $4.5 Million. Everyone in the league knew it, including Detroit and the 'Skins. Detroit knew they had NO chance of getting Dockery into town and signing the guy AFTER was released. So they feigned interest in a trade JUST to get him into town and get a contract offer in front of him. They pushed the Bills to the deadline until the FO had NO CHOICE but to release him, and they figured to sign him without giving the Bills anything, and perhaps without being on the hook for the rest of his deal (which no other team in the league wanted to pay either!). But it backfired on them. When the Skins got wind of the ploy, they got on the phone with Dockery's agent and made him an offer, too. He took their offer instead, and why not? Who wants to play for Detroit when they can play for the 'Skins for almost the same money and more guaranteed up front?

The Bills FO had to file paperwork to release him, just as they had to file paper work for a trade. Do you people really think the Bills front office doesn't KNOW how to do this? If they were there to fax in his release, they were certainly there to fax in a trade if that had been consummated. The ONLY way this makes sense is that the Lions pushed the Bills to the deadline and the Bills had no choice but to fax in the release instead.

The team that got screwed in this was Detroit. If they really wanted the guy, they should have given the Bills the compensation. They rolled the dice and lost.

He might not have been the best guard in the league or worth what we paid for him, but he is probably at least twice as good as whomever they are going to bring in to take his place on the line. It is all about money for this team, winning is so far down the ladder of importance that it is almost a joke. Anyone who can't see that is seriously visually impaired.

He might not have been the best guard in the league or worth what we paid for him, but he is probably at least twice as good as whomever they are going to bring in to take his place on the line.

Please! Dockery has been a HUGE disappointment for the Bills since they signed him. I'd rather they get a guy for the minimum and put him at LG than pay Dockery anything over $1M to be a POS.

the discussion probably went something like this

Raplh: Well boys sounds good, lets get this deal done. Send this in aaaaa Russ.

Russ: Did you say "send the contract on a Bus"?

Ralph: Eh? (sounds like Yeah)

Russ: Looks puzzled - but then the lightbulb goes on

Russ: Aren't you going back to Detroit tonight Raplh?

Ralph: Yes sure am son

Russ: Why dont you just take the trade offer.conttract and drop it off on your way, the price of paper has gone up and we can save a little.

Ralph: Now thats the kind of spirit I am lookin for!

Funny stuff! I was cryin'!.....