Yes we can,

bills_fan

It sounds like you don't make more than $250k but let me ask you would you be ok with the government taking more money from you if it was for the greater good?

No. Here's why. I work for the government and they waste money left and right. They have meetings all the time and nothing gets done the way it should the first time around. Then they have more meetings to unscrew what they screwed up in the first set of meetings! And so on. Less government is better. Businesses create real jobs and the government should help them so they can create more jobs and hire more people.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never said the problems were caused exclusively by debt. Read the sentence again. But thanks for telling me I don't know what's going on, even though I've been stating on this board for a very long time that this situation was coming.

Are these the same economists that completely missed this situation over the past 17 years? You'll forgive me for not giving a flying crap about their opinion.

What "situation" are you talking about? The credit problem? Yes.

I don't support any of them.

I can't not support most of what's in the stimulus package because I see it as throwing down a SH-T ton of money for stuff that should have been paid for (in the system that's in place) incrementally over the last decade.

If you're arguing that the whole system needs revamped, I don't disagree with you.

No. Here's why. I work for the government and they waste money left and right. They have meetings all the time and nothing gets done the way it should the first time around. Then they have more meetings to unscrew what they screwed up in the first set of meetings! And so on. Less government is better. Businesses create real jobs and the government should help them so they can create more jobs and hire more people.

So I take it you're resigning tomorrow? :thumbsup:

A $500 meal to a rich person is the equivalent of a $25 meal to someone without money. The difference in amount does NOT reflect the difference in percentage.

Wow. That is the most idiotic mindless, meaningless analogy I've ever seen, even by the standards of mindless, meaningless analogies.

And you got that from you "investment banker" friends?

Wow. That is the most idiotic mindless, meaningless analogy I've ever seen, even by the standards of mindless, meaningless analogies.

And you got that from you "investment banker" friends?

Why? because my numbers are silly?

EDIT: and let me know what an "expensive" meal is for you. I just told you what mine is: $25.

Why? because my numbers are silly?

EDIT: and let me know what an "expensive" meal is for you. I just told you what mine is: $25.

:thumbsup:

No, because your analogy is silly. You know, if you really thought that made sense, explaining how utterly senseless it was is a complete waste of time.

Well, considering it was with a CHEF about the FOOD industry, no, in fact it was precisely what we were talking about.

Because when I want insight into the relative affordability of a meal, I turn to the person who cooks it.

Nope, still silly. Sillier now, even.

I get my economic news from a few sources, namely the guests on Fresh Air, Common Sense with Dan Carlin, This American Life, and Democracy Now. These guests generally consist of economic scholars, Nobel Prize winners, etc. I listen to what they say, and they're NEVER totatlly in favor of Obama.

:thumbsup::lol::w00t::lol:

Having close ties to a lot as-holes who work as investment bankers in NYC, I can tell you: no I'm not.

A $500 meal to a rich person is the equivalent of a $25 meal to someone without money. The difference in amount does NOT reflect the difference in percentage.

How do people with no money buy a $25 meal? Dine and dash?

IMO, these tax issue discussions are funny. All it does is put the tax rate back to where it was 10 years ago. It didn't kill the country then, it won't kill the country in 2011. Like it or not, the only way you're getting the deficit down is a tax increase like this and cuts. So, if you want a balanced federal budget, you have to realize that some measure of tax increase is required.

What should be discussed is the wholesale changes in healthcare, medicare, defense spending, and so on and so forth. Obama has laid the outline for some very serious and profound changes. Good or bad, I couldn't begin to tell you yet; but the guy is taking on some huge issues that he's almost certain to fail in (and by fail I mean not get passed through congress). So, in the end, I'd be shocked if Congress does a quarter of what he's outlined.

IMO, these tax issue discussions are funny. All it does is put the tax rate back to where it was 10 years ago. It didn't kill the country then, it won't kill the country in 2011. Like it or not, the only way you're getting the deficit down is a tax increase like this and cuts. So, if you want a balanced federal budget, you have to realize that some measure of tax increase is required.

What should be discussed is the wholesale changes in healthcare, medicare, defense spending, and so on and so forth. Obama has laid the outline for some very serious and profound changes. Good or bad, I couldn't begin to tell you yet; but the guy is taking on some huge issues that he's almost certain to fail in (and by fail I mean not get passed through congress). So, in the end, I'd be shocked if Congress does a quarter of what he's outlined.

Because what you DON"T do is raise taxes during a recession.