Might get Andre Smith at 11?

TheLynchTrain

Anybody thats been on this board or has been watching the events surrounding the combine know how Andre Smith has "supposedly" dropped some serious value the past few days.

Supposedly overweight, gave conflicting stories on why he wasnt working out, gave bad interviews and then he just LEFT. Without talking to anyone. Yeah yeah, this all sounds pretty bad. But he was arguably the best college player last year. Probably thought he was a shoo in, underestimated the value of the combine, and in the last point his agent sounds like the idiot who screwed up with communication about leaving. This sounds exactly why you hire an agent, to handle stuff like telling people you're heading out.

That all being said, SI (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/02/21/scouting.combine/index.html?eref=si_nfl) and CBS (http://www.cnbc.com/id/29348238) say Smith could have fallen from a top five pick to late first round! That's crazy. And they say he could lose 23 mil, just like that!

It sounds like the media is making more of an issue Smith and Crabtree and others wayy to much. Obviously, this event and all of sports get scrutinized more and more every year, but were talking about scrutiny that could push a talent like him to the bottom of the first round?

Yeah, he didn't work out enough in the last few months. He probably didnt give to craps about this combine, and like any immature 22 year old, walked away when he was too steamed to talk to anyone else. He probably felt his agent didnt prepare him well enough, and he sure didn't handle the fallout too well afterwards.

I really don't think that this is a good study on the player as a whole, and I can't see him being a poor player. If he falls to the Bills at 11, I think there's no question you have to pick him up, regardless if we have langston walker for 3 more years. This kid could be the best OL since I don't know, and can you imagine if we team him up with Peters?

I'm pretty confident this kid's going to learn from his mistakes...theres a reason why he was the best HS player in Bama and a 5 year college stud. This whole fabricated issue reminds me of all the issues people made up about Suggs a few years ago...the character, 40 times, ect. He was supposed to be a top 2 pick and he fell all the way to 10! Hope this happens again, this time with Buffalo!

I have reservations about Smith. The more I hear about him the more I'm reminded of another overweight, lazy, overhyped offensive tackle with a poor work ethic whose name I will not utter. Hint, he was the #4 pick in the 2002 NFL draft :pirate:

:( Although I believe he's a better OT than the unmentioned. :rolleyes:

I have reservations about Smith. The more I hear about him the more I'm reminded of another overweight, lazy, overhyped offensive tackle with a poor work ethic whose name I will not utter. Hint, he was the #4 pick in the 2002 NFL draft :rolleyes:

Amen.... like we need another overhyped, overpaid and immature lineman.

Mike Williams part deux... accept this time it is obvious this guy is immature

The same was said about Jason Peters when he came in. Obviously a lot of people on this board don't think that's changed. But he came into Buffalo very overweight as an UDFA.

This guy was a monster in college and was talked about as the number 1 overall pick just last week.

I think if he fell to #11, we need to give him some serious consideration. He has way to much talent. Everybody has bad days. Judge him on the last 5 years, not a 24 hour period.

If the guy can't keep it together for four months leading up to the biggest payday of his life, with tens of millions of dollars at stake, why should a GM have any confidence that he can do so for the next ten years?

Not interested.

Exactly. In addition to proving he's lazy and unmotivated, his actions and timing also indicate that he is just flat out STOOPID.

I don't want him with any day 1 pick.

The same was said about Jason Peters when he came in. Obviously a lot of people on this board don't think that's changed. But he came into Buffalo very overweight as an UDFA.

This guy was a monster in college and was talked about as the number 1 overall pick just last week.

I think if he fell to #11, we need to give him some serious consideration. He has way to much talent. Everybody has bad days. Judge him on the last 5 years, not a 24 hour period.

He had a bad December - 'Bama suspended him for their Sugar Bowl game.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls08/news/story?id=3798417

The same was said about Jason Peters ...But he came into Buffalo very overweight as an UDFA.

I think if he fell to #11, we need to give him some serious consideration.

There's a rather significant difference between giving a questionable guy a chance as an UDFA and blowing the #11 overall pick on him.

In fairness to the original poster, the long and the short of it is that this guy could be the second coming of Mike Williams (except with larger feet) or he could have a Hall of Fame career. Either one is a stretch and the truth ends up somewhere in the middle usually.

So the question is valid. If you think the guy will play in five Pro Bowls for instance is he worth it at 11? Not advocating for it but a legit question.

I'd pass on him for sure. We don't need a tackle and why would we shun proven tackles for an unknown who was suspended for his last collegiate game and now has copped an attitude problem at the Combine. We have far more pressing needs.

The only "top prospect" that I'd take if he "fell" is Curry or Crabtree. But neither of those will happen.

I'd pass on him for sure. We don't need a tackle and why would we shun proven tackles for an unknown who was suspended for his last collegiate game and now has copped an attitude problem at the Combine. We have far more pressing needs.

The only "top prospect" that I'd take if he "fell" is Curry or Crabtree. But neither of those will happen.

True and true.

If Smith becomes an unrestricted FA like Peters then what the hey!

Take the best player available regardless of position. You can always trade somebody to if a position becomes crowded and you can never have too many good linemen. That being said, given his issues, I'm not sure that he'd be the best pick at #11. It depends who else is up there.