Bills to make one last push for Greer

Your comment is less than useless. Yes I would give a discount to a team that has known me from the start. Less likelihood of getting cut after I don't meet the expectations of an 8 mil/year contract from a team that expects me to be a star. Greer is good not great. Take the 5 million a year the Bills should offer and play the entire contract out with a team that paid me what I was worth.

In my opinion, there is actually a difference between what the market lends and what a player is worth.

Sure, I'd sidestep millions to play for a losing team. What color is the sky in your world?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you B word when the bills dont re-sign their CBs and then have to draft replacements. But now you B word when they try to re-sign a decent CB? Newsflash...as much as you hate to admit it, you actually do need some CBs on the field to play defense. At least 2 on most downs. As much as you'd like it, you can't actually play D with 11 DL/LBs.

Not to mention that McGee is a free agent next year, so locking up greer would be planning ahead.

You didn't respond to the entire post.

Last year we drafted McKelin AND Corner. Was this not done with the possibility of losing Greer in mind? Btw, what are we doing with Youboty?

Also, how about "cash to cap?" Will you not even acknowledge the possibility that signing Greeer to a market rate deal will hurt our chances to improve in areas that are weaker, and of far more importance to the Bills than cover-2 cornerbacks?

Seriously, I know that you are smart enough to look at the bigger picture. What were you trying to accomplish with the above in terms of discussing football. Are you an adherant to the Dick Levy philosophy that the secondary is the most important unit a team that plays in Orchard Park, NY?

5 years $25 million Jabari. Take it or leave it.

That's right around my comfort level. I wouldn't mind some incentives in there that could boost it to $30-35 mil. Hard to earn incentives though, like pro bowls and INT counts.

I don't wanna see the Bills pay him too much. Someone will over pay for the guy and I hope its not us.

That money belongs to Albert Haynesworth.

If they resign greer McGee could be trade bait IMO

Texans have Owen Daniels and they need db'S .. Possibly a reason for getting Greer back is to offload another vet DB via a trade...

and Greer is not worth more then 5 million per season. he hasn't done that much in this league to warrant paying that kind of coin too.

Clements didn't do enough to warrant the kind of money he got either. Unfortunately experienced db's are in dire need right now and teams may get into a bidding war for Greer. I hope that's not the case, I like Greer. If they are serious about retaining him then they must be looking to trade Mcgee. This would be a good move. They shouldn't have any problem dealing him for a 3rd round pick.

When the Raiders drafted Huff, I was the happiest guy in the United States and what happened?

I think that you underestimate the idiocy of Dick Levy BBB.

:beer: I remember you and I exchanged a PM just after we drafted Whitner...we were definitely on the same page in our fear that senility had taken a death grip on OBD! I like Whitner more than you do, I'm sure, but I'm still a strong proponent of using your high draft pics on impact players in the front seven.

He's a better option to re-sign than McGee (didn't say he's a better player, I think they're very close).

It's annoying as hell though...the Bills throw stupid extensions at guys like Denney, Kelsay, etc, yet find themselves in a position to lose a good player like Greer for nothing. How much do you think it would have taken to extend Greer in the middle of 2007? Not a lot...and if it cost them 3 million a year to keep a very good nickle CB around, so be it...beats the hell out of having to take one in the first round every year.

Where's the foresight? The Butler and Kyle Williams extensions were probably pretty wise...and considering what Greer was making back in 2007, I'm sure he would have signed just about anything to get a 5 million dollar signing bonus thrown at him.

This is a great example of the Bills stupidity, which seems to be never ending. Little if anything surprises me any more.

Corners mean more to the Colts than they do to the Bills. They play in a dome where passing conditions are always favorable. The Bills already have McKelvin, MaGee and of course Corner. There is only a certain amount of money to go around wrt free agents. We have no center, no tight end, no depth at guard, and the defensive line is a bad joke. What is the solution for thee dumbasses? Offer huge bucks to an OK cover-2 corner. ^_^

So, where does this leave us? If we are outbid, Dick Levy will almost surely draft one in the first round, or at least another safety. If we retain Greer, Ralph will soon cry "cash to cap." I thank God for the other more important things in my life because the idiocy of this team is never ending and hard to bear at times.

Bill, you sound like a smart guy with your posts of "12 things" after every game. You are actually are one of the few people on this board who usually says something intelligent. That being said, posts like these make you come off like a big crybaby. Jabari is a very good player in the NFL. We need good players. Sure we have McGee, McKelvin, Yabouty and Corner, but I guarantee you one or more of these guys will be injured at some point in the season. We can certainly use Greer. We have plenty of room under the cap to keep Greer, and sign many other free agents. It would be a good move to retain him.

The negativity on this board is unbelievable. Why be a fan if you hate the organization so much? I have been a fan forever as well, and am pissed about last season also. But every year brings a new season, and wining over keeping our best cover corner because we have several others who can play the position is stupid. Greer has more upside than Mcgee at this point in their careers. So keeping him over resigning Mcgee after this coming season would seem to be prudent to me.

Bill, you sound like a smart guy with your posts of "12 things" after every game. You are actually are one of the few people on this board who usually says something intelligent. That being said, posts like these make you come off like a big crybaby. Jabari is a very good player in the NFL. We need good players. Sure we have McGee, McKelvin, Yabouty and Corner, but I guarantee you one or more of these guys will be injured at some point in the season. We can certainly use Greer. We have plenty of room under the cap to keep Greer, and sign many other free agents. It would be a good move to retain him.

The negativity on this board is unbelievable. Why be a fan if you hate the organization so much? I have been a fan forever as well, and am pissed about last season also. But every year brings a new season, and wining over keeping our best cover corner because we have several others who can play the position is stupid. Greer has more upside than Mcgee at this point in their careers. So keeping him over resigning Mcgee after this coming season would seem to be prudent to me.

Thanks for the compliments.

Again, what bugs me is the mindset. In my posts, I tried to really stress the issue of "cash to cap." My point is that a 30 million or so dollar contract, while not a big cap hit, could really be a drain on the limited pool of dollars that Mr. Wilson will spend on making this team a winner.

That leads us to the corner position, at which we stack up fairly well with or without Greer. Now, toss in the facts that a cover-2 doesn't necessarily call for the most athletic corners, and that we often play in unfavorable passing conditions, and where does that leave us?

It leaves us with huge holes on our lines, a star studded secondary that plays WAY back off the l.o.s., and a 7-9 record.

I am really trying to make the case that until our team is strong up front, the secondary is not the issue unless it is just that terrible, which ours isn't. Perhaps if the Bills had a pass rush or the ability to stop the run, Corner could produce as much as Greer.

I would rather see Ralph sign Bertrand Berry for a couple of years with this money. He is old, but he is better than Kelsay.

Thanks for the compliments.

Again, what bugs me is the mindset. In my posts, I tried to really stress the issue of "cash to cap." My point is that a 30 million or so dollar contract, while not a big cap hit, could really be a drain on the limited pool of dollars that Mr. Wilson will spend on making this team a winner.

That leads us to the corner position, at which we stack up fairly well with or without Greer. Now, toss in the facts that a cover-2 doesn't necessarily call for the most athletic corners, and that we often play in unfavorable passing conditions, and where does that leave us?

It leaves us with huge holes on our lines, a star studded secondary that plays WAY back off the l.o.s., and a 7-9 record.

I am really trying to make the case that until our team is strong up front, the secondary is not the issue unless it is just that terrible, which ours isn't. Perhaps if the Bills had a pass rush or the ability to stop the run, Corner could produce as much as Greer.

I would rather see Ralph sign Bertrand Berry for a couple of years with this money. He is old, but he is better than Kelsay.

Ah you rose to the occasion. Intellect over anger. Good job and several legit arguments for sure.

It's a waste of time and money. If they sign Greer is Leodis going to sit the bench? That's kinda dumb. In Leodis's limited playtime he had more INT's then Greer. The guy is a gamer and he is going to play in the slot? Bleh.

I agree highly with you kota. Some of the clowns on this site have no clue about the game. Not to mention youboty is still coming back from injury. Spend the money elsewhere, like D-Line or #2 receiver.

I agree highly with you kota. Some of the clowns on this site have no clue about the game. Not to mention youboty is still coming back from injury. Spend the money elsewhere, like D-Line or #2 receiver.

We have plenty of money to spend. However, if saving money from Greer's contract allows us to sign a premier DE, then by all means let Greer go. But it would be nice to have both.

I, for one, don't have much confidence in Youboty - he appears to be an under-acheiver.

Here's a thought. Maybe they are trying to re-sign Greer and move another of the corners to free safety. Didn't McGee paly safety in college. They stated they need more playmakers on defense, so a defense that starts McKelvin, Greer, Whitner, and McGee sounds like one that would give us more ball hawks.