Bills to make one last push for Greer

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Corners mean more to the Colts than they do to the Bills. They play in a dome where passing conditions are always favorable. The Bills already have McKelvin, MaGee and of course Corner. There is only a certain amount of money to go around wrt free agents. We have no center, no tight end, no depth at guard, and the defensive line is a bad joke. What is the solution for thee dumbasses? Offer huge bucks to an OK cover-2 corner. ^_^

You could not be more wrong in your assessment. The Colts play the same cover-2 scheme that you refer to. And they paid big bucks to a corner that I'm sure more than three quarters of NFL fans had never heard of before the contract.

And if the Colts truely value their corners more because of their playing conditions, why did they let both Nick Harper and Jason David just walk in free agency two years ago?

You didn't respond to the entire post.

Last year we drafted McKelin AND Corner. Was this not done with the possibility of losing Greer in mind? Btw, what are we doing with Youboty?

Also, how about "cash to cap?" Will you not even acknowledge the possibility that signing Greeer to a market rate deal will hurt our chances to improve in areas that are weaker, and of far more importance to the Bills than cover-2 cornerbacks?

Seriously, I know that you are smart enough to look at the bigger picture. What were you trying to accomplish with the above in terms of discussing football. Are you an adherant to the Dick Levy philosophy that the secondary is the most important unit a team that plays in Orchard Park, NY?

You have a simple choice - spend some bucks to keep a decent corner, or watch the team use a high pick on one. As of right now, i would not be comfortable with going into 2010 with either Youboty or Corner as the starting CB opposite McKelvin. Both are decent young corners and both have shown flashes of potential. Perhaps one of them steps up this year. So we keep greer around and we're set for a while with Greer, McKelvin, Youboty, and Corner. With the need for 3 good CBs, that lineup would do ok.

As for cash to the cap, what big names are the bills going to go after? None. Haynesworth, etc aren't going to come here. Hopefully we can pick up a good center in FA, but aside from that, i see no place where there is a need or the appropriate talent to spend big bucks in free agency. There are no TEs worth a damn, and no edge rushers or really good DTs.

Instead of chasing good money on average FAs from other teams, lets lock up some of our own, and spend premium draft picks elsewhere.

Greer is not go to re-sign with the Bills. He is going to wait until free agency starts and there will be a couple of offers that will be much larger than what the Bills have offered. I would like to see him back but I will bet anyone here that it is not going to happen.

As for cash to the cap, what big names are the bills going to go after? None. Haynesworth, etc aren't going to come here. Hopefully we can pick up a good center in FA, but aside from that, i see no place where there is a need or the appropriate talent to spend big bucks in free agency. There are no TEs worth a damn, and no edge rushers or really good DTs.

Instead of chasing good money on average FAs from other teams, lets lock up some of our own, and spend premium draft picks elsewhere.

Very true. If we could reallocate that money for a specific need then it's justified. You could argue that we will use the money (assuming we lose Greer) on someone like Vilma or maybe Gibril Wilson, a very good safety, but really as Ramius suggests, you're just shuffling cards at that point. And his argument is even stronger when you consider we're probably losing McGee after next season.

Well anyways, let's see what they do. I'm sick of talking about this.

Guest dog14787
Greer is not go to re-sign with the Bills. He is going to wait until free agency starts and there will be a couple of offers that will be much larger than what the Bills have offered. I would like to see him back but I will bet anyone here that it is not going to happen.

Probably not, we are to deep at the CB position to break the bank on Greer. Greer's become one of my favorite players, but its just not going to happen. Its to bad because good veteran leadership is lacking on the Bills roster and is partly why we fell apart last season. If you take a couple of the leaders out of the lineup like Edwards or Greer, we lose ball games, simple as that so maybe its high time we look past the depth at position or cost and pay a little more attention to what other aspects that particular player brings to the ball club besides on the field performance.

We need to gain more veteran leadership, not lose it.

The bottom line is that NFL teams place a great deal of importance on NFL CBs. We have seen it already in the pre-free agency market where guys that aren't even household names are making in excess of $7 M per year. I don't know what it would take to re-sign Greer, but if we could do it in the $6-7M range, then I believe that this is money well spent. Rather than the endless revolving door at CB, we would have this position locked up for some time, regardless of what happens with McGee next season. Someone also mentioned that signing Greer could even afford the team the flexibility of moving one of the other corners to FS. That is a definite possibility.

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to go a few drafts in a row without having to invest a day one pick on a DB?

Guest dog14787
The bottom line is that NFL teams place a great deal of importance on NFL CBs. We have seen it already in the pre-free agency market where guys that aren't even household names are making in excess of $7 M per year. I don't know what it would take to re-sign Greer, but if we could do it in the $6-7M range, then I believe that this is money well spent. Rather than the endless revolving door at CB, we would have this position locked up for some time, regardless of what happens with McGee next season. Someone also mentioned that signing Greer could even afford the team the flexibility of moving one of the other corners to FS. That is a definite possibility.

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to go a few drafts in a row without having to invest a day one pick on a DB?

Yobouty would probably do well at the FS position and having Mcgee, Mckelvin and Greer on the field at the same time would really make it dangerous to throw the ball into, then you stick Yobouty out there at FS and WOW!, Gets me excited just thinking about it.

I like the way you think :devil:

Yobouty would probably do well at the FS position and having Mcgee, Mckelvin and Greer on the field at the same time would really make it dangerous to throw the ball into, then you stick Yobouty out there at FS and WOW!, Gets me excited just thinking about it.

I like the way you think :devil:

Now, if we can just find a way to stop the run!!

We have plenty of money to spend. However, if saving money from Greer's contract allows us to sign a premier DE, then by all means let Greer go. But it would be nice to have both.

I, for one, don't have much confidence in Youboty - he appears to be an under-acheiver.

Youboty was playing lights out before his injury, and if anything he is an over-acheiver, and a ball-hawk as well.

We have plenty of depth at corner, let him walk.

Youboty was playing lights out before his injury, and if anything he is an over-acheiver, and a ball-hawk as well.

We have plenty of depth at corner, let him walk.

I really like Youboty on the field. The problem is, he is rarely on the field. I wouldn't go into a season trusting him to be the guy...not yet, at least.

This is a great example of the Bills stupidity, which seems to be never ending. Little if anything surprises me any more.

Corners mean more to the Colts than they do to the Bills. They play in a dome where passing conditions are always favorable. The Bills already have McKelvin, MaGee and of course Corner. There is only a certain amount of money to go around wrt free agents. We have no center, no tight end, no depth at guard, and the defensive line is a bad joke. What is the solution for thee dumbasses? Offer huge bucks to an OK cover-2 corner. :worthy:

So, where does this leave us? If we are outbid, Dick Levy will almost surely draft one in the first round, or at least another safety. If we retain Greer, Ralph will soon cry "cash to cap." I thank God for the other more important things in my life because the idiocy of this team is never ending and hard to bear at times.

And the bills play in a division where they see Tom Brady and Randy Moss twice, and guys like Ginn Jr.