Why haven't we tagged Greer?

bananathumb

so what is stopping us from keeping Greer around? He's a good corner, maybe not worth a top ten price, but what the hell, for a year, give him some money and see how things work out. Maybe McKelvin will be great, maybe McGee will go downhll. Who knows? Every other team except Miami seems to be tagging somebody. Doesn't that make you think it might be a plan?

I like Jabari Greer and we have the cap room. Plus, there is nobody else worth franchising on this sad sack of a team.

Would it make too much sense for our braintrust to get off their asses?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so what is stopping us from keeping Greer around? He's a good corner, maybe not worth a top ten price, but what the hell, for a year, give him some money and see how things work out. Maybe McKelvin will be great, maybe McGee will go downhll. Who knows? Every other team except Miami seems to be tagging somebody. Doesn't that make you think it might be a plan?

I like Jabari Greer and we have the cap room. Plus, there is nobody else worth franchising on this sad sack of a team.

Just so we have the true facts straight, 14 NFL teams have exercised the right to designate a franchise player this offseason:

Arizona Cardinals linebacker Karlos Dansby, Atlanta Falcons punter Michael Koenen, Baltimore Ravens linebacker Terrell Suggs, Carolina Panthers defensive end Julius Peppers, Cincinnati Bengals kicker Shayne Graham, Houston Texans cornerback Dunta Robinson, New England Patriots quarterback Matt Cassel, New York Giants running back Brandon Jacobs, Pittsburgh Steelers offensive tackle Max Starks, San Diego Chargers running back Darren Sproles, St. Louis Rams safety Oshiomogho Atogwe, Seattle Seahawks linebacker Leroy Hill, Tampa Bay Buccaneers wide receiver Antonio Bryant and Tennessee Titans tight end Bo Scaife.

Which of course means that 18 teams did not.

Tagging Greer alone makes little sense. Take it a step further and think about how many very good CB's will hit the market next Friday.

Nnamdi Asomugha, Kelvin Hayden, and Dunta Robinson will not as of today. That leaves a lot less available for teams needing CB help. As of right now, I don't see much else out on the open market beyond Philip Buchanon and Bryant McFadden. With that in mind, someone will give Greer a deal in Hayden's area, or about 40M over 5 yrs.

Some might think it's a risk to tender him with a contract which will be about 9.9M. I don't believe that on the trade market Greer would garner anything less than a 3rd rounder, especially considering how little there is available after today.

JMO.

He is not worth top 5 money .. he is good but not that good

No it makes no sense, thankfully the "braintrust" does have more brain than you! He's not worht $10 mil. If the Bills were to franchise him, if I'm Greer, I'd sign the tender in about 10 minutes as I know I'd never get than on the open market. Totally stupid to franchise him!

we have to sign peters and must get a center in free agency even if we have to over pay because the Dolphins also are targeting Jason brown. IMO we have to sign either Brown or Birk in free agency no matter what the cost. then we could address OLB,TE and SS in free agency depending on who is available and who the bills have an interest in.

today on Sirius they interviewed either the new coach of the lions or the coach from the Texans i missed the intro. schein asked him a question about their LT situation and his answer was very interesting especially for all the idiots who want to trade peters.

here was his answer. he said do you ever see a great LT hit free agency answer no. he said the reason for that is because its so hard to find a great LT. he stated you ask any offensive coordinator or head coach in the league what the 2 most important players were on offense were and he said every single one of them would say #1 QB #2 LT. he then stated that you will never see a team let a great LT hit free agency simply because they are to valuable and very hard to find.

so to all the people who even suggest we trade our underpaid multiple pro bowl 26 year old LT here's a perfect example h why you are all out of your minds and clueless.

What about a tag and trade. Then his deal could get restuctured. Or we could tag him and then try to restructure, he does want to stay here.
The thing is, all tagging Greer does is give him and teams wanting to trade for him more leverage. It actually hurts the Bills. Teams would know that the Bills wouldn't want to keep Greer at that price, so they would offer lowball deals. If Greer was tagged, he would ask for more in a long term deal than he would if he was an UFA, for the same reason.

The thing is, all tagging Greer does is give him and teams wanting to trade for him more leverage. It actually hurts the Bills. Teams would know that the Bills wouldn't want to keep Greer at that price, so they would offer lowball deals. If Greer was tagged, he would ask for more in a long term deal than he would if he was an UFA, for the same reason.

I know what you mean but I would rather take something or anything than just letting him walk.

I think you've underestimated the demand there is for proven NFL CB's. Teams flush with cap space will look for proven players and with so few available, the dollars skyrocket.

I'm certain that Greer will receive a contract on par with Kelvin Hayden's 5 yr 43.5M deal. If that's the case, tagging him isn't the stretch like some think. It's more than we figure he's worth, but it's more than value. It's supply and demand. And demand just went down by three solid corners today.

I know what you mean but I would rather take something or anything than just letting him walk.

Another problem could be that Greer could demand 10 million per season and 25 million guaranteed in a trade. If no team bites on the contract demands, we're stuck with him at 9.8 million for next season.

Yea, we'd be "stuck" w/ a solid cover corner who can tackle and is a total team guy. Yes, it is A LOT of money for any corner, but aren't we sick of developing top cb's, only let 'em walk for nothing? (See Winfield, Antonio or Clements, Nate). Top corners are very difficult to get your mitts on. After Greer gets top 10 money elsewhere, which he will, we'll be one injury away from serious problems. And we had 2 injuries last year, not one. AND, McGee is a FA after next year....Still look like a good idea to let a very good corner walk for nothing? He's gone, unfortunately.....

Yea, we'd be "stuck" w/ a solid cover corner who can tackle and is a total team guy. Yes, it is A LOT of money for any corner, but aren't we sick of developing top cb's, only let 'em walk for nothing? (See Winfield, Antonio or Clements, Nate). Top corners are very difficult to get your mitts on. After Greer gets top 10 money elsewhere, which he will, we'll be one injury away from serious problems. And we had 2 injuries last year, not one. AND, McGee is a FA after next year....Still look like a good idea to let a very good corner walk for nothing? He's gone, unfortunately.....

Front office savvy has been in short supply since Polian left. Donahoe's trade of Price for a first to Atlanta was the last time a Bills front office was ahead of the curve in NFL trends.

The Bills had a commodity in Greer who will get significant attention in UFA. And if they were afraid to deal him after using the tag, it demonstrates why they're minor league and completely risk averse. They won't take calculated risks and it shows in the mediocre records since 2000. Not all of that is on the current regime, but many of them have been around since the early days of Donahoe.

Not going to give an average, maybe a little better than average CB 10 million a year. We wouldn't give it to Clements and he has 5 years of starting experience. We can very well resign him at a much cheaper price. If we tagged him we would just be bidding against ourselves. No one else is going to top 2-3 million a year, if that.

Front office savvy has been in short supply since Polian left. Donahoe's trade of Price for a first to Atlanta was the last time a Bills front office was ahead of the curve in NFL trends.

The Bills had a commodity in Greer who will get significant attention in UFA. And if they were afraid to deal him after using the tag, it demonstrates why they're minor league and completely risk averse. They won't take calculated risks and it shows in the mediocre records since 2000. Not all of that is on the current regime, but many of them have been around since the early days of Donahoe.

I've been a big proponent on this message board on wanting to retain Greer.

But come on

$10 Million a year?

Let's not confuse taking a good risk with making a really dumb decision. If we were a contender and we were lean at the db position, then maybe but I mean maybe would consider paying him that sort of cash.

For $10 Million a year we could get a top tier player.

Let's not get carried away, Greer is a fine db, but we have 2 other db's that are either better or will be better very soon in McKelvin and Mcgee and we have two others that could turn out to be as good in Corner and Yobouty.

The only way I see the Bills taging him is if they had a strong feeling that some team would offer to trade for him.