How about this idea for a #2 WR?

thebandit27

I know he had a down year, and I know he’s not getting any younger (is anybody?), but how would TSW Nation feel about Torry Holt as the answer to Buffalo’s No. 2 WR situation?

He’s likely to be released as part of St. Louis’ get-younger movement, but still has significant value as a possession receiver. Plus, I believe having a viable No. 1 threat opposite him (please allow the “Evans sucks” argument to be debunked in another thread) would at least give Holt more opportunity to make plays against one-on-one coverage. It also wouldn’t hurt to give the quarterback another veteran presence in the passing game.

What say you, TSW?

:thumbsup:

I love the idea depending again on the cost.

He's hard to evaluate because he's been in a struggling offense for a few years now. Here's his All Time NFL records:

* Consecutive seasons with at least 1,300 yards receiving (6).

* Consecutive seasons with 90+ receptions (6).

* Torry Holt along with Marvin Harrison are the only receivers with multiple 1,600 yard receiving seasons.

Currently, Holt is first all time in NFL history in receiving yards per game with an 84.7 yards per game average.

And his stats from the last few years:

2008 St. Louis Rams 16 64 796 12.4 49.8 45T 3

2007 St. Louis Rams 16 93 1,189 12.8 74.3 40 7

2006 St. Louis Rams 16 93 1,188 12.8 74.2 67T 10

As I said, he's played in a bad offense the past few years and has played through injury. He turns 33 in June. He's not yet two seasons removed from an excellent 2007 campaign.

We need a #1 WR, not a #2. We got the #2 down with Evans.

Aside from the fact that you clearly cannot read (see original post where I ask for a full suspension of this utterly ridiculous Evans debate), this post reeks of ludicrosity.

So for your sake, and for the final/only time in this thread, I will say that anybody whose career production is on par (and in some cases superior to) Andre Reed's numbers over the same period of time can't be considered anything but a #1 by anyone with a semi-rational thought process.

I know he had a down year, and I know he’s not getting any younger (is anybody?), but how would TSW Nation feel about Torry Holt as the answer to Buffalo’s No. 2 WR situation?

He’s likely to be released as part of St. Louis’ get-younger movement, but still has significant value as a possession receiver. Plus, I believe having a viable No. 1 threat opposite him (please allow the “Evans sucks” argument to be debunked in another thread) would at least give Holt more opportunity to make plays against one-on-one coverage. It also wouldn’t hurt to give the quarterback another veteran presence in the passing game.

What say you, TSW?

:thumbsup:

I could see it. He has 2 yrs left in the tank.

Evans is the all-time Bills leader in virtually every category if you look at their first 5 years as a Bill. What says #2 about that?

Just think of what he could do with an actual offense around him. That's why I think Holt would be a good catch for this team.

Evans is the all-time Bills leader in virtually every category if you look at their first 5 years as a Bill. What says #2 about that?

It doesn't mean much of anything by itself.....he just has been the most talented pas catcher on the team during that span. He is a very good player, but I would take Reed, Lofton, Metzelaars or Reimersma over him.

Holt is exactly what this team needs: a veteran that has been there before, who works hard and can show the youngsters how to practice, how to watch film, and how to make themselves better football players (Steve Johnson, James Hardy, and even Lee Evans). Out of the WR geasers this off season, he can actually still play pretty well.

I live in STL. Torry would be to Evans what Isaac Bruce was to Torry for several years. Not a bad idea at all.

Other than that if Raji is gone at # 11, go for the other receiver from STL, Jeremy Macklin. The guy has superstar written all over him.

It doesn't mean much of anything by itself.....he just has been the most talented pas catcher on the team during that span. He is a very good player, but I would take Reed, Lofton, Metzelaars or Reimersma over him.

It's not quite that simple Adam. Evans has never had the benefit of an established quarterback throwing to him, he's never been in a prolific offense and has never had a decent complement at wideout to draw coverage away from him.

Evans' numbers are very extraordinary for a person who has toiled under the circumstances.

What say you, TSW?

:rolleyes:

i actually like this idea

Dont think it will happen but i like it