How about this idea for a #2 WR?

thebandit27

Holt is exactly what this team needs: a veteran that has been there before, who works hard and can show the youngsters how to practice, how to watch film, and how to make themselves better football players (Steve Johnson, James Hardy, and even Lee Evans). Out of the WR geasers this off season, he can actually still play pretty well.

I think that Holt would make the most sense if he does get released for the same reasons stated above. Holt has still got another 2 or 3 solid years in him. He's also one of those guys that people never really get a clean shot on when he has the ball. He's avoided the "big hits" his whole career which has helped with his overall health year in and year out. I'd rather have him than Houshmazilli to tell you the truth. Championship :rolleyes:

I know he had a down year, and I know he’s not getting any younger (is anybody?), but how would TSW Nation feel about Torry Holt as the answer to Buffalo’s No. 2 WR situation?

He’s likely to be released as part of St. Louis’ get-younger movement, but still has significant value as a possession receiver. Plus, I believe having a viable No. 1 threat opposite him (please allow the “Evans sucks” argument to be debunked in another thread) would at least give Holt more opportunity to make plays against one-on-one coverage. It also wouldn’t hurt to give the quarterback another veteran presence in the passing game.

What say you, TSW?

;)

Uh, how do you think torry Holt woud feel about it ? :rolleyes:

Uh, how do you think torry Holt woud feel about it ? :rolleyes:

I think that if a guy like Isaac Bruce can sign with an apparently going-nowhere team like San Francisco last off-season, then a guy like Torry Holt can sign with Buffalo this off-season. Offer the guy $5M per season and I'll bet he brings his own pen.

I know he had a down year, and I know he’s not getting any younger (is anybody?), but how would TSW Nation feel about Torry Holt as the answer to Buffalo’s No. 2 WR situation?

He’s likely to be released as part of St. Louis’ get-younger movement, but still has significant value as a possession receiver. Plus, I believe having a viable No. 1 threat opposite him (please allow the “Evans sucks” argument to be debunked in another thread) would at least give Holt more opportunity to make plays against one-on-one coverage. It also wouldn’t hurt to give the quarterback another veteran presence in the passing game.

What say you, TSW?

This sounds like a great idea. Along with freeing up Evans, a seasoned veteran receive would give confidence to Trent and provide valuable learning experience to Johnson and Hardy.

Why would he want to come here? Dont you think he will get at least at least one better offer?

Rams would be willing to trade Holt vs. releasing him. Make them an offer, he makes this team better. 2008 he had 64 receptions for 796 yards on an offense crappier than ours.

I think that if a guy like Isaac Bruce can sign with an apparently going-nowhere team like San Francisco last off-season, then a guy like Torry Holt can sign with Buffalo this off-season. Offer the guy $5M per season and I'll bet he brings his own pen.

:rolleyes:

What say you, TSW?

:)

I like it. There are only a few scnearios I can see that make sense for bringing in a #2 and those are if they are a player the caliber of TJ, Boldin, or Holt. Outside of those 3, I dont see an available WR that would be worth bringing. Reed is as good or even better than most available (not better than these 3 I listed here) and bringing in someone that isnt a significant upgrade would be a bad move as it stunts the growth of our younger guys like Johnson who move further down the depth chart.

Holt has a lot left in the tank and could be very productive for at least another few years. I would love this pick up if it happened. TJ, is a lock to either go to Philly or stay in Cincy. We could get Boldin (assuming Philly gets TJ, otherwise Philly goes hard after Boldin), but its going to cost a lot. So Holt, would be a nice addition that would likely be a reasonable price.

Rams would be willing to trade Holt vs. releasing him. Make them an offer, he makes this team better. 2008 he had 64 receptions for 796 yards on an offense crappier than ours.

Rams have tons of needs so they'll want picks. I see WR as maybe the Bills' 5th or 6th greatest need. Now if needs start to be filled via FA, I'd be willing to trade a pick, otherwise, just say no. I actually LIKE some of the WR's in Rounds 5-7.

I think he'll get multiple offers and he won't come quite as easily or cheaply as some of you might think.

I just read one of the Rams' beat writers, Jim Thomas, say that a team source told him that the Tennessee Titans offered their 2009 first round pick for Torry Holt prior to the 2008 trade deadline. I wonder if a 2nd round pick would do it now. Regardless like I said, I think the consensus is that this guy has something left in the tank and won't come at a bargain price.

Aside from the fact that you clearly cannot read (see original post where I ask for a full suspension of this utterly ridiculous Evans debate), this post reeks of ludicrosity.

So for your sake, and for the final/only time in this thread, I will say that anybody whose career production is on par (and in some cases superior to) Andre Reed's numbers over the same period of time can't be considered anything but a #1 by anyone with a semi-rational thought process.

3rd and 5 in the 4th quarter, who do you throw it to: Fitzgerald, Boldin, Breaston or Evans? Evans would be #4 option in that position. Let me change the players but same down same quarter: Moss, Welker and Evans. Evans would be the 3rd choice

Same downs and quarter who would you throw to: Reed or Evans? Reed every time, he went over the middle and was more of a threat to more of the field making him harder to cover.

Let me be clear, numbers aren't everything. Devery Henderson had good numbers per play but he's not a #1. A #1 is a guy who carries a team, makes the rest of the field harder to play, and isn't one dimensional. 21st century football #1s are THE GUY who throw to 75% of the time on a slant or a fade when the game is on the line. Evans disappears.

Figures don't lie, but liars figure. Go watch some football.

I just read one of the Rams' beat writers, Jim Thomas, say that a team source told him that the Tennessee Titans offered their 2009 first round pick for Torry Holt prior to the 2008 trade deadline. I wonder if a 2nd round pick would do it now. Regardless like I said, I think the consensus is that this guy has something left in the tank and won't come at a bargain price.

I bet St. Louis is kicking themselves over that one right about now. They could've taken an elite OT and then couple the other 1st Round pick with a 2nd probably to trade back up and get Crabtree. Now they might just cut the guy for cap reasons :thumbsup:

3rd and 5 in the 4th quarter, who do you throw it to: Fitzgerald, Boldin, Breaston or Evans? Evans would be #4 option in that position. Let me change the players but same down same quarter: Moss, Welker and Evans. Evans would be the 3rd choice

Same downs and quarter who would you throw to: Reed or Evans? Reed every time, he went over the middle and was more of a threat to more of the field making him harder to cover.

Let me be clear, numbers aren't everything. Devery Henderson had good numbers per play but he's not a #1. A #1 is a guy who carries a team, makes the rest of the field harder to play, and isn't one dimensional. 21st century football #1s are THE GUY who throw to 75% of the time on a slant or a fade when the game is on the line. Evans disappears.

Fella, don't try so hard to live up to your handle.

Fitzgerald has Boldin and Breaston. Boldin has Fitzgerald and Breaston. Breaston has Fitzgerald and Boldin. Both have Kurt Warner. Moss has has Welker. Welker has Moss. Both have Tom Brady and a great team around them on offense and defense. Then you mention Andre Reed which is irrelevant because he hasn't played in 10 years. In addition to the fact that Andre had Jim Kelly throwing to him, James Lofton and Keith McKeller, Thurman Thomas, Kenneth Davis, a great offensive line........shall I go on?????????????????

Marques Colston is the number one receiver in New Orleans: a pass-happy offense which also features an All Pro quarterback, an offensive minded coach (Payton), Jeremy Shockey, etc. This is not even an objective post.

If you want to be objective, ask yourself how Lee Evans would do in the place of Marques Colston. Or ask yourself how Evans would do if he had Lofton, McKeller, a great offensive line, Thurman Thomas, Jim Kelly.................

Are you just drunk or stupid?

Please, I implore you, let's raise the level of discussion, not lower it.

I was hoping that Stupid Nation was an ironic handle. Apparently not.

Just think of what he could do with an actual offense around him. That's why I think Holt would be a good catch for this team.

He's flat-out classy. He works hard. He'd be a great fill-in till Stevie J. or Hardy matures. He would also be a sensational mentor for every WR on the team, including Evans, who would definitely be smart enough to learn from an all-time great.

It depends on the price and conditions. Not to mention whether he would want to play in our weather and our offensive system.

If possible, I think it would be great.

Reed or Evans? I agree, Reed every time. Because Evans will be double-covered and Reed singled.

The fact that you think that Breaston is better than Evans calls to mind many deep evolutionary questions concerning the ability of the least fit to survive in modern society, and the consequent effects on the gene pool.