Ummm, ummm, ummm, ummm,

VABills

Wow, what a witty observation of last nights press conference... :thumbsup:

It definitely deserves it's own thread too. You can't be expected to waste this gem in any of the other hundred Obama threads.

I didn't see a news conference thread. Did you?

Was anyone else stunned by the fact that she is still alive? Guess I haven't seen a Presidential press conference in a while.

Why in the name of Allah does she still go to those conferences? Who does she work for these days? The network I was watching listed the name of the questioner and their affiliation. For her it just said "Helen Thomas".

And VA...it was a painful listen at times.

So the road we're taking here is to overlook the shear clarity and brilliance and honesty and thoroughness of his responses, and instead make fun of him for saying pokistan?

Just curious... does anyone here know anyone from Pakistan? The few that I know pronounced is POKystahn, not PACKeestan. So, maybe he's not mispronouncing it as much as we all think?

Just curious... does anyone here know anyone from Pakistan? The few that I know pronounced is POKystahn, not PACKeestan. So, maybe he's not mispronouncing it as much as we all think?

I work with a lot of Indians. That's pretty much how they say "Pakistan". I think it's less a "correct pronounciation" thing than it is an "Indian accent" thing.

Why in the name of Allah does she still go to those conferences? Who does she work for these days? The network I was watching listed the name of the questioner and their affiliation. For her it just said "Helen Thomas".

And VA...it was a painful listen at times.

On NBC it said "Hearst Publishing".

Wow, what a witty observation of last nights press conference... :thumbsup:

It definitely deserves it's own thread too. You can't be expected to waste this gem in any of the other hundred Obama threads.

Cut the dwarf a break. "Ummm" was the only word from the press conference he understood.

Why not it's what the liberal hacks did for 8 years.

It took Bush to choke on a pretzel, mis-pronounce, nucular, etc....

The messiah is a few short weeks has got people around him who don't pay taxes, although they sure want to raise yours. Knocked himself out getting into a chopper. Tried to open a window. Say's "ummm" a lot. Mispronounced pokiston and tally bomb. What will he do in the coming months.

So you respond to what you don't like with what you don't like.....tell me how that one goes......

Why not it's what the liberal hacks did for 8 years.

It took Bush to choke on a pretzel, mis-pronounce, nucular, etc....

The messiah is a few short weeks has got people around him who don't pay taxes, although they sure want to raise yours. Knocked himself out getting into a chopper. Tried to open a window. Say's "ummm" a lot. Mispronounced pokiston and tally bomb. What will he do in the coming months.

http://www.politicalbase.com/profile/Mark%...amp;blogId=6233

General David Petraeus also says "pockistan" (32 seconds in)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtCLp7siY7I

I also say uhmm a lot. In general it means I'm stopping to think about the words I'm saying before I let them come out of my mouth. You know, uhm, because too many OB-GYNs aren't able to practice their love with women all across this country.

You can harp on Obama for the tax thing though. I agree, it's pretty stupid. Actually, Obama would agree with you also on that if you asked him.

http://www.politicalbase.com/profile/Mark%...amp;blogId=6233

General David Petraeus also says "pockistan" (32 seconds in)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtCLp7siY7I

I also say uhmm a lot. In general it means I'm stopping to think about the words I'm saying before I let them come out of my mouth. You know, uhm, because too many OB-GYNs aren't able to practice their love with women all across this country.

You can harp on Obama for the tax thing though. I agree, it's pretty stupid. Actually, Obama would agree with you also on that if you asked him.

I do a lot of talking in front of clients, running design meetings etc... At my last place we had a jar for folks who had client contact. Whenever they started a sentence off with "ummmm" they had to throw a quarter in. Long ago, I learned how not to do that. I am nervous in front of folks, like everyone is. But there are things you can do and it is public speaking 101 to not do that. obviously huge pauses are bad, but things like repeating or rewording the question is a huge gap filler. There are other things that can give you a few second to get you mind around a question.

In this case he looks stupid and really shows how bad of a speaker he is without a tele prompter. The questions were canned, notice how he called specific reporters for questions. He knew what they were going to be, and had been preparing since Friday for them. That was just a very poor display of facilitating a press conference. As bad a public speaker I think Bush was, Obama should really limit his adhoc conferences, because he is worse.

As far as you saying ummmm when you speak i don't care, you're not the President of the US. he is the talking head for us, and makes us look ignorant or worse stupid when he pulls the kind of crap he did Monday.

I do a lot of talking in front of clients, running design meetings etc... At my last place we had a jar for folks who had client contact. Whenever they started a sentence off with "ummmm" they had to throw a quarter in. Long ago, I learned how not to do that. I am nervous in front of folks, like everyone is. But there are things you can do and it is public speaking 101 to not do that. obviously huge pauses are bad, but things like repeating or rewording the question is a huge gap filler. There are other things that can give you a few second to get you mind around a question.

In this case he looks stupid and really shows how bad of a speaker he is without a tele prompter. The questions were canned, notice how he called specific reporters for questions. He knew what they were going to be, and had been preparing since Friday for them. That was just a very poor display of facilitating a press conference. As bad a public speaker I think Bush was, Obama should really limit his adhoc conferences, because he is worse.

As far as you saying ummmm when you speak i don't care, you're not the President of the US. he is the talking head for us, and makes us look ignorant or worse stupid when he pulls the kind of crap he did Monday.

The questions are not canned, at every White House press conference a president has a list of the reporters on the podium that he references to call upon, so that all the prominent television and news agencies are represented.

I'd rather have a president that pauses to contemplate the question and form a coherent answer than one that shoots from the mouth without much thought. What next, a critique of his ties? :rolleyes:

I'd rather have a president that pauses to contemplate the question and form a coherent answer than one that shoots from the mouth without much thought. What next, a critique of his ties? :rolleyes:

You are so right. He's got the pauses down pat in his very first presser. By next time he may even work in some coherent answers.