Name your favorite one hit wonder band and song

BuffaloBill

Head East! Flat as a Pancake was a decent album...and "no", I never owned it.

Whatever happened to Head East?

Their lead singer from the 70s, John Schlitt, was fired from the band for heavy drug use. He later converted to Christianity, kicked the drug habit, and was the lead singer for a Christian band named Petra from 1986 until the band retired at the end of 2005.

I don't know what happened to the rest of the members of Head East. They were out of Champaign, Illinois IIRC.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Split Enz were not a one hit wonder, they had a bunch of hits..i loved them back in the day, got to see the finn brothers a few years ago in DC, they were awesome....also like crowded house alot too

For the moment:

Never been any reason - Head East

I got you - Split Enz

Dunno that I have a favorite. Here are some I like (and let me preface this by saying, "DAMN I'm old"):

Venus: Shocking Blue

Ride Captain Ride: The Blues Image

Brandy (You're a Fine Girl): Looking Glass

Stuck in the Middle" Stealers Wheel

Fire: The Crazy World of Arthur Brown

Gimme Just a Little More Time: Chairmen of the Board

More Today Than Yesterday: Spiral Starecase

Give Me One More Chance: Wilmer & the Dukes

Love Land: Charles Wright and the Watts 103rd Street Rhythm Band (To be fair, they also did "Express Yourself" which was pretty good, too.)

We Got More Soul: Dyke & the Blazers (Terrific B-Side: Shotgun Slim)

...well...that's a start...more later

Good list. There have been so many...

I'll add the instrumentals:

Classical Gas - Mason Williams.

The Horse - Hugh Masekela.

Love is Blue - Paul Mariat.

Washington Square - The Village Stompers.

also

We'll Sing in the Sunshine - Gail Garnett.

Sukiyaki - Kyu Sakamoto.

Dominique - the Singing Nuns.

Lead of Barenaked Ladies, Ed Robertson , has television program on OLN, called Ed's UP, where he travels about in his float plane, going from place to place experiencing various jobs. He has worked on oil rigs in gulf , to being a cleaner in a hospital, cleaning sewers, being a fighter pilot, working making tires, each week a different location and work place. Kind of interesting program.

I've always been partial to "If I Had A Million Dollars" by Barenaked Ladies.

I must be the only person who thought they were a half-way decent band. Apparently, I was the only one.

Lead of Barenaked Ladies, Ed Robertson , has television program on OLN, called Ed's UP, where he travels about in his float plane, going from place to place experiencing various jobs. He has worked on oil rigs in gulf , to being a cleaner in a hospital, cleaning sewers, being a fighter pilot, working making tires, each week a different location and work place. Kind of interesting program.

So let me get this straight, he travels around the and tries out other peoples jobs (most of which aren't very glamourous to begin with) and they film his experiences? I sure hope Discovery Channel doesn't get ahold of this idea and run with it. :thumbsup:

I'm kidding Millbank.

Favorite 1 hit wonder: Breakfast at Tiffany's by Deep Blue Something. (For some reason it's like that thread we had last month, whenever I'm scanning the radio and hear that song I can't help but stop and listen). :)

Good list. There have been so many...

Love is Blue - Paul Mariat.

If it's Instrumental one-hit wonders, we're talking, I'd add:

Apricot Brandy: Rhinoceros

BTW, I really like Love is Blue, but like the Dells version (Love is Blue/I Can Sing a Rainbow) better. Of course, the Dells are not 1-hit wonders.

Some of you people are naming songs by bands that had multiple hits.

In any event, when I think of a one hit wonder that I could literally listen to all day and not get bored with, it is the 60's garage punk classic 96 tears by ? and the Mysterians. Great bass line bouncing under that signature trashy organ sound, with ? yelling out the lyrics of love lost and revenge. A fabulous song covered by just about everybody, yet never approaching the intensity and emotion packed into the grooves of the original 45". What a great sounding, and feeling, record.

Still sounds fresh 35 years after its release.

Some of you people are naming songs by bands that had multiple hits.

In any event, when I think of a one hit wonder that I could literally listen to all day and not get bored with, it is the 60's garage punk classic 96 tears by ? and the Mysterians. Great bass line bouncing under that signature trashy organ sound, with ? yelling out the lyrics of love lost and revenge. A fabulous song covered by just about everybody, yet never approaching the intensity and emotion packed into the grooves of the original 45". What a great sounding, and feeling, record.

Still sounds fresh 35 years after its release.

I gotta admit, I like that song as well Johnny. Trashy Organ is the exact way to describe that sound. It's like that organ your aunt had in the back room or in her garage that you would wail on as a kid.

Dunno that I have a favorite. Here are some I like (and let me preface this by saying, "DAMN I'm old"):

Venus: Shocking Blue

Fire: The Crazy World of Arthur Brown

Gimme Just a Little More Time: Chairmen of the Board

Love Land: Charles Wright and the Watts 103rd Street Rhythm Band (To be fair, they also did "Express Yourself" which was pretty good, too.)

We Got More Soul: Dyke & the Blazers (Terrific B-Side: Shotgun Slim)

...well...that's a start...more later

A very solid groove.

Yep, the song that killed disco. Good tune, even if it is about statutory rape.

Speaking of statutory rape and one hit wonders.

Benny Mardones - Into the Night

She's just 16 years old, leave her alone, they said... :thumbsup: