More tax issues with The Obamamysters nominees

How could she not know this?! Tax cheat!! If this were you or me they would put us away!!

For the record, I just thought this was amusing, and really don't blame her all that much. I will give her the benefit of the doubt that she just didn't know. But 1-2 other politicians recently in the news probably should have been thought of similarly.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How could she not know this?! Tax cheat!! If this were you or me they would put us away!!

For the record, I just thought this was amusing, and really don't blame her all that much. I will give her the benefit of the doubt that she just didn't know. But 1-2 other politicians recently in the news probably should have been thought of similarly.

I'm surprised Obama didn't appoint her to his cabinet. :doh:

There is, however, a difference between not knowing you owe those taxes and avoiding paying taxes you knew you owed for years.

Here's why you're wrong. I doubt that 95% of the people on this board have the ability to cheat, skim or lie on their taxes. For me, in most years, there's nothing I can do to cheat. Before I bought a house, it was basically income & the standard deduction. After I bought my house, my itemized deductions were interest, property taxes, and state income tax (and contributions to charity-which I don't make beyond a very small $ amount). A lot of people think there are things you can manufacture to deduct-it's simply not true. Deductions don't come from thin air. If more people realized this, places like H & R Block would be out of business, because unless you're rich enough to have a more complex return, there aren't deductions to be found.

Your thoughts are generally correct if all of your income comes from an employer that produces a W-2 for you and collects taxes on behalf of the government it is nearly impossible for you to cheat.

Generally where there are issues is when someone owns a business and fails to acknowledge earnings that are hidden within the business. The same could be said for individuals with significant investments especially if they are made outside of the country.

For the average Joe or Jane the mre likely scenario is that they overpay their taxes because they are unaware of legitimate deductions.

Next up: Rahm Emanuel?

Say it ain't, so, Rahm. "Gimme a free roof over my head worth $100,000 and I'll give you half a million in contracts."

Sounds fair to me. :lol:

The Post said while Emanuel was living in the rent-free arrangement, he also served as the chairman of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, which gave Greenberg several polling contracts, paying him $239,000 in 2006 and $317,000 in 2008.

Jesus. What a mess.

Next up: Rahm Emanuel?

Say it ain't, so, Rahm. "Gimme a free roof over my head worth $100,000 and I'll give you half a million in contracts."

Sounds fair to me. :lol:

Jesus. What a mess.

bah, don't worry about it. The only news outlet that will cover it will be Fox news and after a few weeks, everyone will have forgotten anyway.

I'm not sure what counts as a scandal for this administration these days.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
STILL can't make this stuff up.

Well, it's not like she's the treasury secretary or anything embarrassing like that.

Did you read what the errors were? She donated more than $250 to 49 charities and took them as tax deductions but only 46 of the 49 letters of confirmation from the charities could be found. What a horrible woman. How could they let her near health care? And the two others were equally heinous.

Again... With all these "cheats" do you think they really know?? Or do they just lay it in the hands of a CPA that they trust. A CPA that takes them down a bad road. By no means am I letting ANYONE off the hook. At some point it has to be about trust and your finances, they can't micromanage every aspect of them... Or can they??

Kinda like Bush and the whole war thing. I never really slacked him, he just made bad choices on whom to trust and whose ideas to run with it. Of course the funny thing with any of this kinda stuf is how the masses and the media spin things... Even the people who get called out... Nothing but egg on a lot of faces, especially when what one is accused of something that is 180 degrees opposite of their political views/ideas.

Good times!

Did you read what the errors were? She donated more than $250 to 49 charities and took them as tax deductions but only 46 of the 49 letters of confirmation from the charities could be found. What a horrible woman. How could they let her near health care? And the two others were equally heinous.

Thanks for focusing on the little things again, Keith. The problem is the RIDICULOUSLY obvious complete and utter inability of the Obama administration to properly vet ANYONE. It's bad enough that a guy who cheated on his own taxes is now treasury secretary demanding unprecedented reach, but wouldn't you think AT THIS POINT that Obama's minions would MAKE SURE that whomever gets appointed...ummm...oh, I don't know...maybe DOESN'T owe taxes BEFORE the appointment? Wouldn't you?

Seriously. Have you ever had an employee !@#$ something up? Maybe they made some massive mistake at work that cost the company a bunch of dough. But you kept then on because you'd think that maybe, just maybe, they won't make the same stupid, embarrassing and incompetent mistake again. And again. And again. And AGAIN.

How many time can you make this absolutely moronic mistake? I've lost count. Is if four? Five? Six? How !@#$ing incompetent do you have to be to hire THIS many people incapable of paying their taxes properly?

This president is surrounding himself with incompetence like a hole surrounds itself with a !@#$king donut.

Jesus Christ dude, did you?

Sebelius and her husband took deductions for mortgage interest that they weren't entitled to. The couple sold their home in 2006 for less than what they owed on the mortgage. They continued to make payments on the mortgage, including interest. But since they no longer owned the home they weren't entitled to take deductions for the interest. The same thing happened with a home improvement loan. Sebelius said they "mistakenly believed" the payments were still deductible.

_Insufficient documentation was found for some business expense deductions

Sounds like DC could use some competent CPAs

I appreciate her thought that she needed to check her taxes and get them scrubbed and taken care in preparation for this position.

But why wasn't accuracy on her taxes important when she was a measly Governor?

Because she's a scumbag politician. Wow, talk about redundant.

"They" being someone who isn't the actual nominee this time. Is there a particular line of association you are willing to stop at? Perhaps any inadvertent activity by a nominee's high school biology partner? The babysitter of a child the nominee's child plays with? The only troubling thing about this latest "scandal" is how far into the realm of the absurd some of you are willing to travel to to disqualify a nominee.

Wonder if you were talking this kind of crap when Clarence Thomas was nominated. Or Robert Bork for that matter.

If you want to be on public record saying, "I, _____, aka Joe Miner, have never once cheated on my taxes in the biggest or smallest way..." and know that virtually everyone now knows you're a liar, please do. I won't have to say it.

I can say with 100% honesty I've never cheated on my taxes. Then again, my taxes have always been straght-forward until this year, when I had to hire a CPA as I'm working off a 1099. I'm worried about it, actually. He's very aggressive.

I can say with 100% honesty I've never cheated on my taxes. Then again, my taxes have always been straght-forward until this year, when I had to hire a CPA as I'm working off a 1099. I'm worried about it, actually. He's very aggressive.

Good CPAs are.