Optimism Anyone?

H2o

Call me delusional, call me a glutton for punishment, or whatever you will. But despite all of the disappointment with the retaining of Jauron and everything else, I feel like this is going to be the offseason we get it right as far as the draft and personnel moves. I just have an excitement that I haven't had in a while. It could be that it was last year at this time I was feeling the same way :D , but I don't think so. We all know what Ralph has been doing over the past 10 seasons. Some of the moves just never worked out for us like Bledsoe, Mularky, McGahee, Losman, Mike Williams, Spikes got injured, we lost key players in FA, and our injury woes. Listening to Ralph when he spoke about not putting a much of a product on the field for the fans since Bruce left made me think that just maybe he realizes that he needs to more and I think this is the year he does it. We have plenty of cap room and there seems to be more impact players in this draft and in FA in our areas of need than in years past. Could this be the year that we finally get it right? Will we look back at the 2009 offseason and say, "This is the year the Bills and Ralph finally got it right in the draft and in FA,"? I just get the feeling that there is going to be great things happening here at OBD this offseason. I may be like :bag: by week 5 once the regular season begins, but right now I'm all :D

Call me delusional, call me a glutton for punishment, or whatever you will. But despite all of the disappointment with the retaining of Jauron and everything else, I feel like this is going to be the offseason we get it right as far as the draft and personnel moves. I just have an excitement that I haven't had in a while. It could be that it was last year at this time I was feeling the same way :D , but I don't think so. We all know what Ralph has been doing over the past 10 seasons. Some of the moves just never worked out for us like Bledsoe, Mularky, McGahee, Losman, Mike Williams, Spikes got injured, we lost key players in FA, and our injury woes. Listening to Ralph when he spoke about not putting a much of a product on the field for the fans since Bruce left made me think that just maybe he realizes that he needs to more and I think this is the year he does it. We have plenty of cap room and there seems to be more impact players in this draft and in FA in our areas of need than in years past. Could this be the year that we finally get it right? Will we look back at the 2009 offseason and say, "This is the year the Bills and Ralph finally got it right in the draft and in FA,"? I just get the feeling that there is going to be great things happening here at OBD this offseason. I may be like :bag: by week 5 once the regular season begins, but right now I'm all :D

:D

I didn't mean to start a bitchfest in my thread.....I was just venting a little. I'm never going to jump ship as a Bills fan, hell I got too much damn time and emotion invested at this point to give up. Here's to hoping you're right.

I am also an optimist by nature, and I tend to look at the bright side of things. When people concentrate on the negatives, usually negative things tend to follow.

Looking at the Bills for 2010, I have lots of Optimism. I am positive that our team will be an improved team from the year before.

QB position. Trent Edwards will be entering his second full year at the helm, there is no doubt that he improved from his Rookie season, evidence is in the stats and he now has the total onfidence of his team mates which is huge and he knows that if he is put in the position and they need for him to drive down the field and get the win, that he has the ability to do it. So there is little doubt in my mind that he will improve from last year.

RB

What is there not to be excited about here. We have a fantastic 1-2 combo and they are only going to get better. Another year of familiarity in the system and added experience will most likely mean better production than last year.

OL The O-Line is intact from last year, they made strides at the end of the year in their run blocking, If Jason Peters can come into camp this year and not hold out, there will certainly be an upgrade on Offensive Tackle play from last year, since last year was a poor year by his standards. Hopefully We will upgrade at Center so that would be a plus. Either way, the worst case scenario is that we have the same players as last year, so we would have similar production as last year. So I believe there is a very good chance that we upgrade here as well.

TE This is another area where we will most likely upgrade through FA or the draft. Worst case scenario we go with Royal and Fine, in which I think that most people agree that Fine is on the rise, so worst case, we improve slightly.

WR No doubt that we improve here. Steve Johnson should give us an immediate upgrade from his rookie year production, Hardy is a question mark, just the fact of Steve Johnson having a most likely bigger role than last year makes this crew an upgrade from last year.

DE Schobel will be back so that is an immediate upgrade as opposed to NOT having him. And I'm pretty sure we will upgrade through FA or the draft, so we will be better in this area.

DT We will most likely go with the same players as last year minus McCargo and possibly pick a player up through the draft. Worst case scenario we stand pat, which means we stay the same, but there is a chance of picking up a player.

DB Greer will possibly be gone, but Mckelvin and Corner are coming into their second year and will undoubtedly play even better than their rookie years and Youbouty will be coming back from injury. A wash

Safety Worst case scenario we stand pat from last year. So most likely a wash

LB we will most likely resign Crowell or a FA or pick one up through the draft. Plus we were decimated with injuries with Digiorgio and Bowen, so this area will most likely be improved as well.

Coaching A wash, same as last year.

You have to be optimistic at this time of the year. A lot of people were optimistic last year and for good reason up until week 7 and beyond.

It's hard to look at this team and not be somewhat optimistic about their chances this upcoming year. They have good young players on offense, should have another top 5 special teams, and hopefully the defense improves to the point where they are not just serviceable, but actually can win a game here and there.

I think you can chaulk up the first two fo Juaron's years as getting us out of the TD quagmire. Last year admittedly they should have done better, but they started out well and showed a lot of promise. The offense was certainly a problem through most of the second-half of last year, but with basically the same players from 2007 on offense, they were able to improve statistically. The offense should only need minor tweaking and some more time to get on the same page - they do have a 26 year old QB. The special teams will be fine. The defense to me is the real area needing an upgrade. Even though they added a lot last offseason, they are still not there. I think the defense has been the most needy of upgrading thoughout Juaron's tenure. They have upgraded, but they still haven't landed a difference-maker on that side. You could agrue that there are three or four difference-makers on offense (or at least difference-makers to be), while defense certainyl may have one or two of those, but not like the offense does.

I maintain that the Bills are one or two difference-makers and one or two rotational guys away from having a dominant defense. This should be the year they try to go out and acquire that talant and those types of players.

So....with all the "slight" upgrades and washes to our peronnel, and the harder schedule...that equates to what 6-10 or 7-9 again?

Without SIGNIFICANT upgrades, we're going to continue spinning our wheels.

Call me delusional, call me a glutton for punishment, or whatever you will.....

I wish I could honestly share your optimism, but with Jauron driving the bus, history indicates another <= .500 season. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

I wish I could honestly share your optimism, but with Jauron driving the bus, history indicates another <= .500 season. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

hey! That's my buzz line for the 2009 season!

Jauron is an optimism-vampire. Every time I get excited thinking about next season, he just sucks it out of me.

I am pretty surprised that anyone could be optimistic about this team and its staff. I have ALWAYS felt optimistic during the off season as there was usually a reason to hope. Honestly, this is the first year in AT LEAST 20 where I feel this team has nothing going for it. I have never felt such a void of passion as I do this year and I can't stand it.

I think we really should have won nine games this season. l can't blame injuries, as that is just a loser's lament, and our injuries this year were nothing like what we had the year before. I think we have to shore up the lines a bit, get us a TE and probably a new backup quarterback and we might win nine or ten games and be in the hunt for a wild card. Divisional champ? Boy that would be asking a lot as NE, NYJ and Miami all have bragging rights as of this moment. I think we will have a better record next year and have a little better team...but would need lots of luck to get into the playoffs.

I am pretty surprised that anyone could be optimistic about this team and its staff. I have ALWAYS felt optimistic during the off season as there was usually a reason to hope. Honestly, this is the first year in AT LEAST 20 where I feel this team has nothing going for it. I have never felt such a void of passion as I do this year and I can't stand it.

Unfortunately, I'm in the same frame of mind. A few tweaks here and there by the front office won't be enough for me.

Call me delusional, call me a glutton for punishment, or whatever you will.

Spring brings forth hope eternal .....

I just said in another post that I am a skeptic until the Bills clinch a playoff spot.

With that said I appreciate your optimism. I think the chances of your wishes coming true rest on the following:

• Trent Edwards must take a significant step forward including figuring out 3-4 defense

• Marshawn needs no offseason distractions and must play elite, true probowl ball

• Buffalo needs to add a serviceable vet as a #2 QB to help TE out on the sidelines and to play if needed

• Through the draft or FA we have to also land (in order) DE, TE, #2 WR (prefer big and tall), LB depth and guard depth (noticeable drop off when Butler went out)

• I pray that somehow Jauron learns better game management - he is supposed to be a smart guy

• There needs to be a little bit of luck as the injury bug has hit us hard the past couple of years

I just said in another post that I am a skeptic until the Bills clinch a playoff spot.

With that said I appreciate your optimism. I think the chances of your wishes coming true rest on the following:

• Trent Edwards must take a significant step forward including figuring out 3-4 defense

• Marshawn needs no offseason distractions and must play elite, true probowl ball

• Buffalo needs to add a serviceable vet as a #2 QB to help TE out on the sidelines and to play if needed

• Through the draft or FA we have to also land (in order) DE, TE, #2 WR (prefer big and tall), LB depth and guard depth (noticeable drop off when Butler went out)

• I pray that somehow Jauron learns better game management - he is supposed to be a smart guy

• There needs to be a little bit of luck as the injury bug has hit us hard the past couple of years

I also think that Schonert will be better this year as well. We all must not forget that last season was his first as an OC. This season he should have a better feel of the personnel, what they can do, and where he needs to put them on various plays to make an impact. Other than that, the post in quotations says it all for me.

You can pray all you want about Dick (miraculously becoming a good coach) but history shows us, both in chicago and in Buffalo, that he just doesn't have IT as a coach, we're going to continue to beat up on sh------- teams and lose to winning ones. :D:bag:

hey! That's my buzz line for the 2009 season!

Jauron is an optimism-vampire. Every time I get excited thinking about next season, he just sucks it out of me.

Sorry....that line was probably from back in biblical times when the Jauronites almost destroyed civilization as we know it.

I also think that Schonert will be better this year as well. We all must not forget that last season was his first as an OC. This season he should have a better feel of the personnel, what they can do, and where he needs to put them on various plays to make an impact. Other than that, the post in quotations says it all for me.

Time will tell with Schonert but I wonder if he simplifies things a bit this year. Team also needs to figure out its offensive identity.

There are optimists, pessimists, and realists.

I'm somewhere between optimist and realist generally speaking.

I think with Bruce and his own Hall of Fame induction and with the Fiftieth Anniversary Season that the Bills will make a significant push this year. Ralph knows that his legacy in Buffalo is still shaky and all his comments seem to support a stab at glory this year.

My pessimistic side tells me that we have a killer schedule this year and we might be significantly better than last year and still only end up 8-8.