Kelsey will make the pro bowl this year

Some quick thoughts about Kelsay without playing the defender role too much...

1. There is more to being a DE than just getting sacks: Run containment, backing off into coverage, occupying blockers, etc. Depending on the scheme and the assigned role, a quality DE could register just a couple of sacks per year and STILL be doing his job.

2. The coaching staff seems pretty happy with Kelsay, which implies that he is playing the role envisioned for him reasonably well.

3. I think Kelsay hit free agency at exactly the right time, when salaries for DEs were going through the roof. The year before the Packers had just signed Aaron Kampman to a huge contract that seemed somewhat unwarranted at the time based on past performance. However, Kampman responded with a career year. I believe that the Bills overpaid for Kelsay's services largely because they were convinced that he was on the cusp of a breakout season. If nothing else, signing him long-term prevented a team like the Patriots from picking him up. We know that BB would find a way to best utilize Kelsay's talents.

4. Like Donte Whitner, it is hard to gauge how much Kelsay's individual production on the field has been hurt by his own versatility, which was further diluted by the rash of injuries that the team has experienced the past two seasons.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1. There is more to being a DE than just getting sacks: Run containment, backing off into coverage, occupying blockers, etc. Depending on the scheme and the assigned role, a quality DE could register just a couple of sacks per year and STILL be doing his job.

2. The coaching staff seems pretty happy with Kelsay, which implies that he is playing the role envisioned for him reasonably well.

3. I think Kelsay hit free agency at exactly the right time, when salaries for DEs were going through the roof. The year before the Packers had just signed Aaron Kampman to a huge contract that seemed somewhat unwarranted at the time based on past performance. However, Kampman responded with a career year. I believe that the Bills overpaid for Kelsay's services largely because they were convinced that he was on the cusp of a breakout season. If nothing else, signing him long-term prevented a team like the Patriots from picking him up. We know that BB would find a way to best utilize Kelsay's talents.

4. Like Donte Whitner, it is hard to gauge how much Kelsay's individual production on the field has been hurt by his own versatility, which was further diluted by the rash of injuries that the team has experienced the past two seasons.

Kelsay gets hammered for a lack of sacks which is the most overrated statistic in football. A DE's job is not solely to sack the QB...the DE's who ONLY go after QB usually do so because they are not very good at much else. Julius Peppers isnt exactly known for his play against the run and dissapears a lot in games, which is why his main focus is to get at the QB. Kelsay isnt going to be that kind of DE.

You put Kelsay on a team like Balt or Pitt, he will be a real solid player because the focus will be off getting sacks and he can fit better into the defense.

Bottom line is he is not as bad as Bills fans think, but he also isnt the type of player we need to anchor our pass rush. He is a good compliment to a unit that wont have to depend on him for sack production, Buffalo just isnt that type of unit right now...

But Buffalo doesnt have any kind of pass rush coming from other areas, and that is what makes Kelsay a bad fit currently. If we can get some pressure from other areas, he would actually be a nice compliment on our D.

I reasonably expect Kelsay to be in the 5-7 sack range every season. He isn't. He looked like he might be headed in that direction when he was re-signed in before 2007, but since the signing he's been garbage. Kelsay at 2-3 million per year? fine., Kelsay at 6 million per year? Cut him.

Think about it, he's been a consistent performer his whole career except for last year.

He's a leader, so I think the C on his jersey will start to motivate him to try harder.

Also, not having A.Scho back there probably threw off his timing.

He is also ready to be in the prime of his career, as I think we can shake off the rookie freshness, and the softmore slump now.

Look, I just know he's gonna try harder this year, and I see a break out year from him.

Kelsay doesn't belong on the roster IMO, he's basically a waste of space.

The main problem with kelsay is his $5 Million dollar a year price tag. If his contract was worth $2 Million a year then he would be a decent rotational DE. He has been given the opportunity to perform and attempt to fulfill his contract and he has failed miserably. It's time for him to go or take a serious pay cut.

Agreed......not sure I would show boot him out the door but I would damn sure show it to him.......Personally, I think Denney makes a few more plays than Kelsay and to suggest that this guy will make a pro bowl?????? Is bizzare to say the least.....they guy will most likely not even get 5 sacks......give me a break....Bills, please, please, please draft a dominant DE with your first pick......give fine a chance to develop...we got Josh Reed after all who is a great alternative to a Tight End

Think about it, he's been a consistent performer his whole career except for last year.

He's a leader, so I think the C on his jersey will start to motivate him to try harder.

He is also ready to be in the prime of his career, as I think we can shake off the rookie freshness, and the softmore slump now.

Look, I just know he's gonna try harder this year, and I see a break out year from him.

This kind of evaluation and logic are the reasons teams like the Bengals and Lions exist. Yes, because people can actually convince themselves that this may indeed be the case.

I'll come back and eat my words if you are right......but I'm more inclined to think you've hit the crackpipe today!

Mrs. Kelsay, is that you?

Mama Kelsay perhaps?

One quick question for those of you that want to show Kelsay the door and are praying that Brian Orakpo is still on the board when the Bills pick at #11: Are you aware of the fact that Orakpo topped out at 5.5 sacks in his most productive year at Texas?

I read the same thing in that publication that was presented to us through that one thread, but then I read somewhere else that last year he had 10.5 sacks.

http://www.mynfldraft.com/NFL-Draft-Profil...09/Brian-Orakpo

Kelsay in the pro bowl? I'm almost positive you're joking and enjoying the replies, but in case you're not, you need to start watching more football dude! Kelsay gets penetration as often as a straight priest. And when he does, he's usually in the wrong...uh...gap.

You got a better chance of hearing a Lee Evans interview without him saying "no doubt".

Kelsay in the pro bowl? I'm almost positive you're joking and enjoying the replies, but in case you're not, you need to start watching more football dude! Kelsay gets penetration as often as a straight priest. And when he does, he's usually in the wrong...uh...gap.

You got a better chance of hearing a Lee Evans interview without him saying "no doubt".

Funny stuff! I too figured this thread to be joke, as Kelsay is horrible against the run AND the pass. Salary aside, he is not now, nor has he ever been, even adequate, let alone good. He is a back up, at best.

One quick question for those of you that want to show Kelsay the door and are praying that Brian Orakpo is still on the board when the Bills pick at #11: Are you aware of the fact that Orakpo topped out at 5.5 sacks in his most productive year at Texas?

http://www.texassports.com/sports/m-footbl...istcarr.html#68

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=162410

You might wanna check the stats again and pick those toenails out of your teeth because I see 11 sacks in 2008 across 12 games.

(fart noise)

I reasonably expect Kelsay to be in the 5-7 sack range every season. He isn't. He looked like he might be headed in that direction when he was re-signed in before 2007, but since the signing he's been garbage. Kelsay at 2-3 million per year? fine., Kelsay at 6 million per year? Cut him.

Great sig :wallbash:

Are you serious?