Unemployment is getting worse

And illegal aliens. The white male has been almost completely forced out of construction jobs. This is a replay of the 30s. The WPA didn't shorten the Depression and this won't shorten this recession . Do you expect a white collar worker to suddenly know how to build a bridge?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And illegal aliens. The white male has been almost completely forced out of construction jobs. This is a replay of the 30s. The WPA didn't shorten the Depression and this won't shorten this recession . Do you expect a white collar worker to suddenly know how to build a bridge?

I am not saying whether the plan will work or not, or whether it is a good plan or not. I don't think anyone knows either way. But the projections for how these jobs are created (or saved) are all over the job fields. Construction jobs are less than 20% of them. It is:

678,000 construction

408,000 manufacturing

604,000 retail

214,000 financial service

345,000 professional and business service

240,000 education and health service

499,000 hospitality/leisure

244,000 government

450,000 others liking mining and wholesale and transportation and utilities, etc.

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/3486860/Obama-...b-Impact-Report

Has nothing to do with ability. Rangel is trying to get it that you can't even apply if you're white. Whether you are capable or not. So basically it is a jobs program for only about 30% of the US.

Stupid argument. You are already paying. Why not use that money to pay people who are out of work to rebuild the crumbling infrastructure, investing in your country and it's citizens. Just rebuilding bridges alone would employ construction, trucking, steel/iron, engineers. You create jobs when you invest in public works, and you end up getting that money back in the future. Public works projects create jobs in US-based industries using US workers. Some of you people see that as throwing money away. I see that as investing in your own country.

Infrastrucure needs rebuilding, but public works are not net stimulants because they just shift money around and don't increase net GDP on their own. Thus for a true recovery, you need to resume growth of the private sector.

Cali just hit 9.3%, this can't be good... What, this is 9.3% of what 32 million almost 3 million people and those are the ones you can count. I would be interested in know your state's unemployment numbers.

CNN Money has a good interactive map that shows the unemployment rates for all 50 states.

http://money.cnn.com/news/storysupplement/...apmap/index.htm

Citizens from both sides of the aisle need to stand up to this pork disguised as beef that they're trying to push through.

Do you think for a minute that Americans will stop "eating" each other? What I am saying as long as the pork is flowing and is spread about, everybody will just look the other way. "Teaming up" goes againist all our MODERN American beliefs... It is all about ME in this country. Sad.

:thumbsup:

Infrastrucure needs rebuilding, but public works are not net stimulants because they just shift money around and don't increase net GDP on their own. Thus for a true recovery, you need to resume growth of the private sector.

And where will the public works get the needed material, machinery, and supplies for their projects; from the private sector.

What? How can rebuilding the Nation's infrastructure and employing hundreds of thousands cause future economic problems? Bridges, roads, public works...these create jobs in US-exclusive industries using a US workforce.

What do those people do once the roads and bridges are built?

What do those people do once the roads and bridges are built?

The report that came out today said the country's infrastructure is a disaster. Its not like everything will be repaired in a couple months. And the economy isn't going to be in the crapper for decades. These people will be able to get jobs once other industries begin to recover.

The report that came out today said the country's infrastructure is a disaster. Its not like everything will be repaired in a couple months. And the economy isn't going to be in the crapper for decades. These people will be able to get jobs once other industries begin to recover.

No, but it probably will be in the crapper for about a decade.

Maybe they could drag it out as long as the "Big Dig" in Boston. How long was that? 25 years?

How far in the crapper will the economy get before any of these government projects even get to the blue print stage?

How far in the crapper will the economy get before any of these government projects even get to the blue print stage?

The American Society of Civil Engineers says it would be a five-year investment. There are blue prints already for a lot of projects, and many could be started right away. you're assuming everything is still in the planning stage, and that's just not the case.

The American Society of Civil Engineers says it would be a five-year investment. There are blue prints already for a lot of projects, and many could be started right away. you're assuming everything is still in the planning stage, and that's just not the case.

And the ASCE has no reason to lowball the estimate or inflate the cost, either.

Most of it would still have to be in the planning stages, anyway, if only because the projects aren't staffed and equipped yet. It's not like there's construction resources just sitting around waiting for the word "Go."

Do you think for a minute that Americans will stop "eating" each other? What I am saying as long as the pork is flowing and is spread about, everybody will just look the other way. "Teaming up" goes againist all our MODERN American beliefs... It is all about ME in this country. Sad.

:thumbsup:

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what the country can do for ME!"

Keep printing that money.... hyperinflation depends on it. :thumbsup:

You might want to rethink that. Inflation is largely the result of consumers having lots of extra devalued money. That's not what TARP did though--the money didn't get to consumers. Importantly, that money went to the banks to help balance their books (the banks were probably insolvent and needed the cash). The cash the banks got went to offset paper losses and thus the "printed" cash really didn't affect inflation because it never got to the consumers. That printed cash merely saved/is saving the banks. And that was important.

For TARP II or whatever the stimulus will be called, more money is meant to get to the marketplace and thus we'll likely get some inflation. But again, a lot of that money will go to bailout companies and banks and won't affect inflation as much as the Chicken Littles of the world think and hope.

I heard this explanation from the CIO of Vanguard. He was talking about M1 and M2 money supplies and the like. I loaded his explanation into my RAM memory and understood it completely then...now my Hard Drive memory is more limited and the above is all I got. GG or TPS might be able to add more detail but the crux of his assertion is that we're not going to see inflation until the money being added into the supply starts making it into the marketplace--past the banks (M1) and credit card cos (M2).