The Bills tried to sign Cam Wake...

A lot of guys look great in the preseason when playing against scrubs. The CFL is basically comprised of players that can't make it on an NFL roster with just a few exceptions.

A DE looking great against slow fat OT's doesn't impress me.

That said, he'll probably be an All Pro next year and knock Trent senseless.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is his job to change the culture, the perception and the mind set of players they want to acquire. If that means over paying slightly for a Tony Gonzalez or a player like Wake, so be it. they created the mess and now its their job to get through it. If your happy with effort and not results, knock yourself out.

How is anything going to change if the Bills keep settling for players without any other option?

You're 2 for 2 in this thread. Keep posting. :wallbash:

You're 2 for 2 in this thread. Keep posting. :wallbash:

I know everyone is in the mood to whine, but I just do not see it here. The Bills worked him out, made an offer his agent admits was impressive, but the player decided on Miami because of a better fit of scheme to his skills. Exactly how does that point to the Bills FO being wrong here? People are upset at the Bills FO in general - I get it. The facts here simply do not justify the whining. Lets see what happens when the real game begins.

Face facts. He chose Miami because he'll be in Miami, no state income tax, and he'll be in Miami. The Bills simply have a HUGE disadvantage when it comes to getting players because of where they're located, meaning the weather, population, economy, and state income tax. That means having to sorely outbid other teams, and that's not a good business model for a small market team.

I wouldn't get all up in arms over the assumption that people are happy the Bills tried to get this CFL'er.

Truth is, I think some people have such little faith in our front office to bring anybody in, and it was somewhat refreshing to hear that the Bills were really in the running for a player. It's rare when it's revealed that the Bills are actively pursuing anyone because that stuff is usually kept quiet.

The guy chose Miami over us. What can you do? Break the bank over someone who was a stud on a lower level? Wake chose Miami because their defense is better suited for him among other reasons (playoff team, warm weather, money, joey porter). This guy hasn't proven a thing other than he dominates the CFL level of talent which is considerably lower than starting NFL talent.

It's really unlikely that we'll hear about the Bills pursuing many free agents because we just don't have access to that kind information with any sort of regularity. It would be pretty neat to find out who the Bills were going after.

Don't you go injecting your fancy-pants rationality into this thread. People here need to spin everything into an indictment of the Bills.

PTR

Wake narrowed his choices to four teams, including the Buffalo Bills, before choosing the Dolphins.

"Buffalo really put a great package together," Sheehy said. "They did a wonderful job recruiting him."

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast

It's good to see the Bills haven't been dormant so far.

Buffalo almost made the playoffs several times over the last decade.

Don't you go injecting your fancy-pants rationality into this thread. People here need to spin everything into an indictment of the Bills.

PTR

No one can rationally indict the front office for failing to sign a CFL star. That's plain rididculous.

The point remains that the bills have severely hindered their ability to catch up with the successful teams in the league by failing to hire a GM. Nevermind the HC, it's impossible to win without someone who has a personnel background guiding the football side of the house. The GM adopts of vision of where he wants the team to go, and gathers the players and coaches to make it happen. TD didn't seem to have a vision, but went year to year. OTOH, Buffalo doesn't even have that right now. They're too busy trying to market a fading product.

Now is not the time to promote those not trained in managing football teams. Russ Brandon is a fine marketing guy, but he'll never be included among the Polian's, Reese's, Colbert's, Pioli's, and Parcells' of the NFL.

You may like missing the playoffs nine straight seasons and not having a GM. I for one realize we're the only team in the league who can make that claim.

In many ways I would agree with you. But I have 2 problems. First, it's hard for us to know the overall FA plan this offseason. Perhaps, the Bills are going to really go after Peppers. I highly doubt it, but let's just assume for fun. If that were the case, I could understand trying to get a guy like Wade, but not "breaking the bank" to get him. So, on one hand, it's nice to see the FO trying AND trying in an area of weakness. However, you're right. It'd be nice to see them succeeding. I guess I'll just wait a few months before I give them the final offseason grade.

Second, I really don't know that it matters who they bring in. This coaching staff has shown an impressive ability to consistently put players in the wrong place. So, regardless of who they break the bank for, will it really matter next season? I highly doubt it. It'd be nice to see some attitude guys come in in a few key positions. But, I'm confident they'll become content with trying hard by week 6.

Peppers? Suggs?

This is the Buffalo Bills Brandon and Wilson ant Littman are in charge. There is only one Bills Gm who had the b_lls and he is in Indy now.

Face facts. He chose Miami because he'll be in Miami, no state income tax, and he'll be in Miami. The Bills simply have a HUGE disadvantage when it comes to getting players because of where they're located, meaning the weather, population, economy, and state income tax. That means having to sorely outbid other teams, and that's not a good business model for a small market team.

And that was so different how when Polian convinced Kelly it was time to come or convinced the Biscuit that Buffalo afforded him everything he was looking for.

Or how about Ted Washington, Bryce Paup, Quinn Early, et al. Why didn't they realize that Buffalo was the last place they wanted to play?

PTR

His "fancy pants" rationale misses the point that this loser was good enough to be persued by a hated division rival and our former GM whom most everyone on this board would kill to have back.

And that was so different how when Polian convinced Kelly it was time to come or convinced the Biscuit that Buffalo afforded him everything he was looking for.

Or how about Ted Washington, Bryce Paup, Quinn Early, et al. Why didn't they realize that Buffalo was the last place they wanted to play?

It's a different era now. And why would Wake choose the Dols over the Colts?

A lot of guys look great in the preseason when playing against scrubs. The CFL is basically comprised of players that can't make it on an NFL roster with just a few exceptions.

A DE looking great against slow fat OT's doesn't impress me.

That said, he'll probably be an All Pro next year and knock Trent senseless.

Have you watched the CFL? There's nobody fat and slow there. In fact, it's a faster game than the NFL. The NFL has bigger stronger guys, but not really faster, on the lines anyway.

Who knows how this guy will turn out, as you said, but overpaying as some have suggested here, makes no sense. Would it look really good if we overpaid for the guy, gave him $8 mil, and he did absolutely nothing? People need to chill. It's the GM's business to figure out what a guy's worth and not pay more.

And anyway, this guy seems to have wanted a 3 - 4 team.

I know everyone is in the mood to whine, but I just do not see it here. The Bills worked him out, made an offer his agent admits was impressive, but the player decided on Miami because of a better fit of scheme to his skills. Exactly how does that point to the Bills FO being wrong here? People are upset at the Bills FO in general - I get it. The facts here simply do not justify the whining. Lets see what happens when the real game begins.

Another nice post.

No one can rationally indict the front office for failing to sign a CFL star. That's plain rididculous.

The point remains that the bills have severely hindered their ability to catch up with the successful teams in the league by failing to hire a GM. Nevermind the HC, it's impossible to win without someone who has a personnel background guiding the football side of the house. The GM adopts of vision of where he wants the team to go, and gathers the players and coaches to make it happen. TD didn't seem to have a vision, but went year to year. OTOH, Buffalo doesn't even have that right now. They're too busy trying to market a fading product.

Now is not the time to promote those not trained in managing football teams. Russ Brandon is a fine marketing guy, but he'll never be included among the Polian's, Reese's, Colbert's, Pioli's, and Parcells' of the NFL.

You may like missing the playoffs nine straight seasons and not having a GM. I for one realize we're the only team in the league who can make that claim.

You may be right that Brandon hinders us. But it's a guess. There's no way to know. Or rather, there's only one way to know. Wait and watch. If the Brandon Bills suck, we'll have our answer.

His "fancy pants" rationale misses the point that this loser was good enough to be persued by a hated division rival and our former GM whom most everyone on this board would kill to have back.

Polian didn't get him either. Guess Polian must suck.

It is his job to change the culture, the perception and the mind set of players they want to acquire. If that means over paying slightly for a Tony Gonzalez or a player like Wake, so be it. they created the mess and now its their job to get through it. If your happy with effort and not results, knock yourself out.

How is anything going to change if the Bills keep settling for players without any other option?

It's far more complicated than you make it out to be. It's not like Madden.