What if we traded up for Big Ben

I'm sure a lot of you guys remember the story. The bills tried to trade up from 13 to 9 to take Big Ben. The Jaguars however, asked for the moon. They wound up taking R. Williams at 9, who could have been had at 13 without question. What probably spoiled the opportunity to trade up was the Browns giving up a 2nd to move up one spot (7 to 6). It set a high price to trade up. How good do you think the bills would be if they had managed to trade up.

I'm sure a lot of you guys remember the story. The bills tried to trade up from 13 to 9 to take Big Ben. The Jaguars however, asked for the moon. They wound up taking R. Williams at 9, who could have been had at 13 without question. What probably spoiled the opportunity to trade up was the Browns giving up a 2nd to move up one spot (7 to 6). It set a high price to trade up. How could do you think the bills would be if they had managed to trade up.

It would have made a difference....Ben is an accurate passer who can make the clutch throws when the game is on the line....We could have built around him. Of course TD would have been the GM and would continue to ignore the lines and Ben would be in the hospital with multiple concussions. The Bills reallly need better talent evaluators and better COACHING.

I'm sure a lot of you guys remember the story. The bills tried to trade up from 13 to 9 to take Big Ben. The Jaguars however, asked for the moon. They wound up taking R. Williams at 9, who could have been had at 13 without question. What probably spoiled the opportunity to trade up was the Browns giving up a 2nd to move up one spot (7 to 6). It set a high price to trade up. How could do you think the bills would be if they had managed to trade up.

I remember it well: This trade was set prior to the draft- The Bill, or rather Donahoe, actually had a deal w/ Jax to jump one spot ahead of Pitts to grab Big Ben, whom TD knew the Steelers wanted. Part of it was that we needed a QB, but a big part too was that TD wanted to screw Pitts. Well, Jax thought that Reggie Williams w/b gone by their pick, but he wasn't, so they backed out of deal, which TD thought was set in stone. So Big Ben went to Pitts, but was damn close to coming here. Ah, serendipity....

I remember it well: This trade was set prior to the draft- The Bill, or rather Donahoe, actually had a deal w/ Jax to jump one spot ahead of Pitts to grab Big Ben, whom TD knew the Steelers wanted. Part of it was that we needed a QB, but a big part too was that TD wanted to screw Pitts. Well, Jax thought that Reggie Williams w/b gone by their pick, but he wasn't, so they backed out of deal, which TD thought was set in stone. So Big Ben went to Pitts, but was damn close to coming here. Ah, serendipity....

What were the Bills going to part with?

The results probably wouldn't have been much different from what we've seen in recent years. The Bills may have gotten a better QB, although I'm not convinced he's THAT good, but lets not forget that it would've likely meant no Lee Evans. Roethlisberger would have Josh Reed, Roscoe Parrish, Robert Royal and, until the '05 season ended, a washed up Eric Moulds as his receiving corps. That's not really a recipe for success, especially for the final three seasons.

not to mention the beating he would have taken behind our line...

Yeah, that too. I've long since come to the conclusion that the QBs are not the reason this offense is terrible. Its been the players they put around them. They seem content with having 3-5 offensive starters who suck every year...and they never attempt to upgrade those spots. Its no wonder the offense as a whole ranges from inconsistent to awful from week-to-week.

Here's what would have happened if we got Ben R.

The fans would have declared him a bust after his first loss. He would have benched after his second loss. He would have been injured for the season after our O line whiffed on a blitz. And we would be posting how we could have drafted Super Bowl MVP Trent Edwards.

PTR

I know the bills were hoping to draft Ben, but not sure a huge difference would have resulted. He (Ben) was instantly put into an excellent team with good players and good leaders around him. For 5 seasons now he has been surrounded by a great organization, good coaches and a excellent defense, all of these items taking pressure off of him so he could learn. If he was in Buffalo, he would have had NONE of these thing listed above, so there is a chance his career might not be off to much better of a start than J.P.'s is.

I know the bills were hoping to draft Ben, but not sure a huge difference would have resulted. He (Ben) was instantly put into an excellent team with good players and good leaders around him. For 5 seasons now he has been surrounded by a great organization, good coaches and a excellent defense, all of these items taking pressure off of him so he could learn. If he was in Buffalo, he would have had NONE of these thing listed above, so there is a chance his career might not be off to much better of a start than J.P.'s is.

Unless of course you consider the fact that Ben as a rookie was still a much better QB than JP would ever develop into

Roethlisberger did have an amazing rookie year, but I think that he'd likely have still sat on the bench behind Drew Bledsoe his rookie season in Buffalo, in which the Bills probably would have been worse, considering it'd be the same team with Ben doing JP's bench duty and no Lee Evans. We'd go WR in 2005 and probably have grabbed Mark Clayton...I'm not sure where they'd go after that.

Unless of course you consider the fact that Ben as a rookie was still a much better QB than JP would ever develop into

Ben had a Super Bowl caliber team fall into his lap. He had an all-pro line, the best coach in the game (at the time), and one of the best defenses in the league.

to say for one second that Ben would have had close to the same success in Buffalo as he has had in Pittsburgh is absolutely ridiculous.

Had the Bills drafted him, he would've came into the same mess and mishandling that Losman was put through.

I think Rothlisberger is a much better QB than Losman, but the situation our team was in 4-5 years ago would have most likely killed any rookie QB's career. To think that, had we drafted Ben, things would be much different at OBD just doesnt jive.

Ben had a Super Bowl caliber team fall into his lap. He had an all-pro line, the best coach in the game (at the time), and one of the best defenses in the league.

to say for one second that Ben would have had close to the same success in Buffalo as he has had in Pittsburgh is absolutely ridiculous.

Had the Bills drafted him, he would've came into the same mess and mishandling that Losman was put through.

I think Rothlisberger is a much better QB than Losman, but the situation our team was in 4-5 years ago would have most likely killed any rookie QB's career. To think that, had we drafted Ben, things would be much different at OBD just doesnt jive.

Losman got handed a 9-7 team in his first year as a starter. So assuming Big Ben didn't start right away, he would have taken over for 9-7 team. It definitely would have made a huge difference. The guy has led a team to 2 Super Bowls in 5 years with 2 different head coaches and offensive coordinators. He is so much better than what we have it isn't funny.

Ben is not a top ten QB in any QB stat. Why he's good: #1 defense.

If the Bills had picked him, maybe they have 1 playoff appearance in 5 years but they wouldn't be the Steelers. Big Ben is not Joe Montana or John Elway.

If you don't think Big Ben is a top 10 QB, you know nothing about football. Elway had a worse career QB rating than Ken O'Brien. Who would you rather have? Some guys just win and Big Ben wins. Personally, I'll take winning over fantasy stats.

not to mention the beating he would have taken behind our line...

Well he did pretty well behind their line this year......

Big Ben was 31st in the NFL in sacks per attempt this year.