Why NE is gonna franchise Cassel - read this

Alphadawg7

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure...I'll go type in "Chunky Soup Commercials".

Man, you guys are hilarious...does it somehow make you feel better to bash others and go out of your way to discredit them...you got some kind of Internt Napolean complex of something...geesh.

Anyway...back to the topic at hand...just an FYI, every single post and thread on this board that has anything to do with who the Bills will sign, draft, hire, or fire is absolutely ridiculous, pure speculation, and has zero validity until it actually happens. All posts are speculation...

All I did was share some inside info that was given to me...it is no more relevant than all those mock drafts, which coach we should have or will hire to replace DJ, etc. Just some new speculative info I got and shared with you...

The part that stands out to me is that based on my conversation with her, its possible the Bills MAY have some interest in looking at a new direction at QB, or at the very least, may want to bring someone in to compete for the #1 job...too bad no one has any interest in discussing the football side of this...

Man, you guys are hilarious...does it somehow make you feel better to bash others and go out of your way to discredit them...you got some kind of Internt Napolean complex of something...geesh.

Anyway...back to the topic at hand...just an FYI, every single post and thread on this board that has anything to do with who the Bills will sign, draft, hire, or fire is absolutely ridiculous, pure speculation, and has zero validity until it actually happens. All posts are speculation...

All I did was share some inside info that was given to me...it is no more relevant than all those mock drafts, which coach we should have or will hire to replace DJ, etc. Just some new speculative info I got and shared with you...

The part that stands out to me is that based on my conversation with her, its possible the Bills MAY have some interest in looking at a new direction at QB, or at the very least, may want to bring someone in to compete for the #1 job...too bad no one has any interest in discussing the football side of this...

OK...I'll talk about the football side even though I know the same thing has been said already in this thread...name one thing from our coaching staff or front office that has indicated that they have any intention of not being 100% behind Trent Edwards? I mean, you could even argue that Trent was the main reason that the same coaching staff was put in place. There is nothing that supports that the Bills are prepared to move on in regards to Trent besides what you have posted in this thread. That is why so many people find it hard to believe.

I am amazed at the amount of time and energy some people here use to rip another poster down without ever addressing the real issue here. Are the Bills totally sold on TE as the franchise QB or not? I hope not. I hope the FO brings in a veteran or high draft pick to really compete for the QB position. Not just a career backup,but a guy that could realistically compete for the starting job. I'm not sold on TE,and I think he needs to win the job,not have it handed to him. Regardless of whether Alphadawg knows Cassels family or not,his post brings up a legitimate point worth discussing.

I am amazed at the amount of time and energy some people here use to rip another poster down without ever addressing the real issue here. Are the Bills totally sold on TE as the franchise QB or not? I hope not. I hope the FO brings in a veteran or high draft pick to really compete for the QB position. Not just a career backup,but a guy that could realistically compete for the starting job. I'm not sold on TE,and I think he needs to win the job,not have it handed to him. Regardless of whether Alphadawg knows Cassels family or not,his post brings up a legitimate point worth discussing.

Thanks for the post...I expected some of it, but cant believe how little was discussed about the actual football side of this thing...its all good though...FYI, I dont know anyone else in the family, just her as worked with her a few times...all her sons all pro athletes whcih I found amazing (the others play baseball).

Thanks for the post...I expected some of it, but cant believe how little was discussed about the actual football side of this thing...its all good though...

Why put resources into a position that is in not as dire a need as others? It's bad management.

Why put resources into a position that is in not as dire a need as others? It's bad management.

Really? Did you even watch the Bills this year? Trent was not exactly superb in our 5-1 start and constantly struggled under pressure. Then the last half the year he played as bad as JP has ever played, seriously regressed and hasnt stayed healthy in any season since high school...

So, what on earth would ever lead you to believe we are set at this position? Name one thing he did to warrant this kind of support? Dont even talk about the comeback wins...the Raiders and Rams both handed us those games when they stopped blitzing and pressuring Trent in fourth.

Trent can NOT progress through his reads fast enough when under pressure. As a result, he started making bad throws and fumbling, which further regressed his cofidence and so called poise. This led to the quick check down to the line of scrimmage when his hot route wasnt there which led to him not even seeing wide open WR's on the other side of the field. He often had throws available but was too indecisive to throw it and ended up throwing it late for a pick, holding the ball too long and taking a sack/fumble, or checking down to the line of scrimmage.

I hope he gets it together, but man, his body of work has NOT shown anything that says we are solid at QB and that hes franchise QB.

Regardless of their ineptitude, and regardless of what they say publicly, I would be shocked if the Bills were sold on Trent. He hasnt shown a consistent ability to do several of the things that good NFL quarterbacks need to do to be good. Stay healthy, throw the ball and complete the ball downfield, read defenses, get wins, play in bad weather, play consistent, understand different defenses, know when to check down and when to try to make a play, etc. They could be fairly happy with his progress without being close to being sold.

Really? Did you even watch the Bills this year? Trent was not exactly superb in our 5-1 start and constantly struggled under pressure....

He was being talked about as a league MVP candidate through the 5-1 start.

Really? Did you even watch the Bills this year? Trent was not exactly superb in our 5-1 start and constantly struggled under pressure. Then the last half the year he played as bad as JP has ever played, seriously regressed and hasnt stayed healthy in any season since high school...

So, what on earth would ever lead you to believe we are set at this position? Name one thing he did to warrant this kind of support? Dont even talk about the comeback wins...the Raiders and Rams both handed us those games when they stopped blitzing and pressuring Trent in fourth.

Trent can NOT progress through his reads fast enough when under pressure. As a result, he started making bad throws and fumbling, which further regressed his cofidence and so called poise. This led to the quick check down to the line of scrimmage when his hot route wasnt there which led to him not even seeing wide open WR's on the other side of the field. He often had throws available but was too indecisive to throw it and ended up throwing it late for a pick, holding the ball too long and taking a sack/fumble, or checking down to the line of scrimmage.

I hope he gets it together, but man, his body of work has NOT shown anything that says we are solid at QB and that hes franchise QB.

You are exaggerating his ineffectiveness. At no point did he comes close to the horribleness of J.P. Losman. Even in the Cleveland game he wasn't as erratic as J.P. is on his best day and came back strong in the second half. If the offense was tailored around Jackson and Lynch, I don't see any reason why he can't be an adequate starter with a veteran backing him up.

Honestly if you take out the three game AFC East stretch plus the first half of Cleveland I'm sure that the stats are going to look all that bad. He didn't look even as close to as bad as you try to claim he did in our wins and he didn't look as bad in the late losses as he did in the middle ones.

Center, Defensive End, Tight End, Wide Receiver, Guard, Fullback, Linebacker, Safety, Defensive tackle are all higher priorities in my book.

He was being talked about as a league MVP candidate through the 5-1 start.

Because of his 4th quarter QB Rating only...DJ was also being considered for Coach of the Year...do you think DJ is our best option at coach too?

Again, I ask, did you watch every game? He was average at best through the 5-1 start. We would not have won the Rams game or Raiders game if they hadnt for some reason stopped bringing pressure in the 4th quarter. Even the announcers during those games were questioning the sudden lack of pressure being brough which allowed Trent to finally get into a groove.

And in all honesty, Trent gets WAY too much credit for those comebacks. Not saying he didnt do a good job, but come on, Greer and Mitchell were instrumental in 2 of the comebacks, and so was Lycnh twice bailing Trent out to save game winning drives with 2 amazing plays. And you are noting victories against the worst D's in the league as why he is the real deal, when he struggled through the first 3 quarters of play in most of those games.

Regardless of their ineptitude, and regardless of what they say publicly, I would be shocked if the Bills were sold on Trent. He hasnt shown a consistent ability to do several of the things that good NFL quarterbacks need to do to be good. Stay healthy, throw the ball and complete the ball downfield, read defenses, get wins, play in bad weather, play consistent, understand different defenses, know when to check down and when to try to make a play, etc. They could be fairly happy with his progress without being close to being sold.

Have to agree - based on the comments on the necessary QB traits about 1:10 into this interview, ya gotta wonder if Trent could start for...

Mike Leach

You are exaggerating his ineffectiveness. At no point did he comes close to the horribleness of J.P. Losman. Even in the Cleveland game he wasn't as erratic as J.P. is on his best day and came back strong in the second half. If the offense was tailored around Jackson and Lynch, I don't see any reason why he can't be an adequate starter with a veteran backing him up.

Honestly if you take out the three game AFC East stretch plus the first half of Cleveland I'm sure that the stats are going to look all that bad. He didn't look even as close to as bad as you try to claim he did in our wins and he didn't look as bad in the late losses as he did in the middle ones.

Center, Defensive End, Tight End, Wide Receiver, Guard, Fullback, Linebacker, Safety, Defensive tackle are all higher priorities in my book.

I am not disputing Center, DE, and TE are not higher priorities, I totally agree with you on that aspect. I am just saying, to this point, Trent's total body of work has not shown me that QB is not also an issue. Has he shown promise at times, yes, but he also SEVERELY regressed and has made a clear indication that he also can not stay healthy...hes been hurt just about every year going back to high school...thats a long track record.

I am not saying he wont develop, but to say that we are set at QB is just as absurd as saying he wont develop into a good QB. I know young QB's struggle, but its not his struggles that have me concerned. It was his regression and how horrible he handled adversity on the field to the point he literally became gun shy. You can SEE the hesitiation in him on the field, thats a bad sign for a young QB, especially one who's best characteristic was supposed to be his poise.

Sold for how long? I am sure that they plan to enter 09 with Trent as the starter. There is no reason not to.

I am not disputing Center, DE, and TE are not higher priorities, I totally agree with you on that aspect. I am just saying, to this point, Trent's total body of work has not shown me that QB is not also an issue. Has he shown promise at times, yes, but he also SEVERELY regressed and has made a clear indication that he also can not stay healthy...hes been hurt just about every year going back to high school...thats a long track record.

I am not saying he wont develop, but to say that we are set at QB is just as absurd as saying he wont develop into a good QB. I know young QB's struggle, but its not his struggles that have me concerned. It was his regression and how horrible he handled adversity on the field to the point he literally became gun shy. You can SEE the hesitiation in him on the field, thats a bad sign for a young QB, especially one who's best characteristic was supposed to be his poise.

OK...this is the problem I have with the whole argument and the premise of the thread as a whole...you want to give up on Trent yet you want to throw loads of money at a guy who has played one season on a Bill Belichick/Josh McDaniels coached team with Randy Moss and Wes Welker to throw to and the Pats O-Line blocking for him, with the easiest schedule in the NFL. I'll take a Kerry Collins or somewhat like that 100 times before I throw so much money at an unproven entity like Cassel.

I'd be pretty willing to believe that the agent made up the "3 year offer from Buffalo with a BIG signing bonus" to get Cassel to toe his line in negotiations to come with the Patriots. And Cassel told his mom and the mom told you. I don't believe that the rumor is actually true though.

If the Bills don't go into the offseason, preseason, and the regular season with Trent as the unquestioned starter, they better make a trade and get Peyton Manning here. Otherwise, I'll be starting one of those... I'm done with this team threads.

By the way, everyone blames JP for at least 4 of our losses this year. Well why was JP on the field? Because Trent was hurt, again.

History shows that this is a high probability year to year that he will miss 2 or 3 games, possibly more, based on his injury history. That means every year, there is a good chance we will need to depend on a backup QB to get us 2, 3, maybe even 4 or more wins. That means, even if Trent becomes good, if he cant stay on the field we are relying on a back up QB to get us in the playoffs and win us a handful of games each year...another reason why I believe this guy is no where near entrenched as our QB of the future...

Sold for how long? I am sure that they plan to enter 09 with Trent as the starter. There is no reason not to.

There is no reason not to because they don't have another player. Put it this way, if they had signed Kurt Warner, or a player of his ability to be the back-up this year, Trent would not be a guaranteed starter this year. The same way that Leinart wasn't a guaranteed starter in AZ although the team wanted him to be. If Losman played better in 2007, Trent wouldnt be the starter here either (but he obviously didnt). Trent has showed promise, and is pretty good right now. He still has a LOT of serious question marks going into his third season. I do expect him to be the starter in 2009 but that is only because I think we have several bigger needs and I dont expect us to have a viable back-up starter.