What do we need more??

Who needs to go? Turk or Trent? I say its the players that make plays and win games 90%, coaching and play calling 10%. So...... I'll go with getting a new QB, since we can't call 1-800-quarterback we should go for a veteran free agent like Warner or Collins AND take another stab in the draft. You never know maybe we can luck out in the 6th round with the next Tom Brady!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Who needs to go? Turk or Trent? I say its the players that make plays and win games 90%, coaching and play calling 10%. So...... I'll go with getting a new QB, since we can't call 1-800-quarterback we should go for a veteran free agent like Warner or Collins AND take another stab in the draft. You never know maybe we can luck out in the 6th round with the next Tom Brady!

The answer is c. We need a TE and a 2nd WR.

I think we already have options. We've seen how well the offense goes with Reed in the lineup, Steve Johnson showed us something (not really All-Pro stuff, but something), and Hardy is still there. Let's not worry about drafting one or picking up a FA until the TE & DE positions are addressed.

But the 2nd WR becomes important if Lee Evans gets enough touches. I think Turk needs to be sure that Lee gets the ball as many times as possible, then the 2nd WR (whoever it is) has to be ready to step up.

Our #2 WR is fine. I don't know why you think a TE will make our O so much better. Look at the 4 teams still alive, Eagles and Cardinals rarely use their TE. Ravens TE is no better than mediocre. Heath Miller is good but does not make the Steelers great. It is the QB! All 4 teams have a better one than us. Until we get some solid QB play we will have trouble taking it to the next level. QB is the most important position, I love Leodis but Flacco would be looking pretty sweet in a Bill uniform right about NOW!

Look at what Penningtondid for the Fish, and he is just good not great!

Who needs to go? Turk or Trent? I say its the players that make plays and win games 90%, coaching and play calling 10%.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think both can stay. What we need is to upgrade our OL with players that are more athletic, that can continue their blocking assignments down field to keep the play going and also to be able to pull and run some sweeps along with some screens. This I know can't happen overnite.

A center and a big TE that can both block and pull coverage off Lee would also help.

With that, Turk should REALIZE what he has and should take advantage of the new personnel.

This in turn would give you a strong running game, make the play action pass a viable option, counteract the blitz with screens, have a tight end to strecth the field, etc, etc.

Oh well it's nice to dream - isn't it ?

Our #2 WR is fine. I don't know why you think a TE will make our O so much better. Look at the 4 teams still alive, Eagles and Cardinals rarely use their TE. Ravens TE is no better than mediocre. Heath Miller is good but does not make the Steelers great. It is the QB! All 4 teams have a better one than us. Until we get some solid QB play we will have trouble taking it to the next level. QB is the most important position, I love Leodis but Flacco would be looking pretty sweet in a Bill uniform right about NOW!

Anyone else think that Flacco & Edwards were separated at birth? :lol:

Yes, the QB is a pretty darn important position, but if Trent Dilfer can win a Super Bowl.....

I also agree that the 4 teams left rarely use their TE, but the 3 of the 4 teams left are there because of their defenses. Only Arizona is there because of their QB...and a terrible game by their last opponent's QB.

Guest dog14787

Its amazing how many fans still support Turk Shonert, Shonert is a failing OC promoted from within a failing offense.Clearly he doesn't have a clue and the promotion was a mistake. If Shonert is not replaced and Buffalo struggles again on offense this coming up season the Buffalo Bills front office and owner will be considered by many to be the biggest joke in the NFL. :lol:

Yes, the QB is a pretty darn important position, but if Trent Dilfer can win a Super Bowl.....

I also agree that the 4 teams left rarely use their TE, but the 3 of the 4 teams left are there because of their defenses. Only Arizona is there because of their QB...and a terrible game by their last opponent's QB.

Are you serious????? Who do you think will still be in the league 10 years from now, Flacco or Edwards? Flacco has all the tools, Edwards does not!

Dilfer was a high first rounder coming out and was not asked to do much when he got to the Ravens. If our defense is ever as good as that Raven D was(record for fewest points scored against) maybe Edwards could manage his way to the Superbowl.

I think Dilfer was a better QB than Edwards will ever be, you can't hold his Buc years against him. No one could win with that team back then.

LMAO

you don't honestly believe coaching is only 10% ??? the entire offensive scheme and 100% of th eplay calling is coaching. Its coaches that makes sure the team is prepared every week, and knows there roles. Its coaching that is responsible for who sits and who plays and who gets the calls. Its coaching who is responsible for players perfroming to the top of their abilities.

Trent Edwards did well in his 1st full year at QB. No team in the league would abandon Trent Edwards as a QB for their team after 1 year. A QB takes a few years to develope fully, and we have very VERY obvious coaching problems to boot.

Are you serious????? Who do you think will still be in the league 10 years from now, Flacco or Edwards? Flacco has all the tools, Edwards does not!

Dilfer was a high first rounder coming out and was not asked to do much when he got to the Ravens. If our defense is ever as good as that Raven D was(record for fewest points scored against) maybe Edwards could manage his way to the Superbowl.

I think Dilfer was a better QB than Edwards will ever be, you can't hold his Buc years against him. No one could win with that team back then.

Ignorant statement of the day

ignorant statement of the day. If we can't hold Dilfers Buc years against him then obvioulsy we can't hold Edwards bills days against him for the exact same reason.

Edwards is right on track with his development. Go look at Peyton Mannings stats for his 1st year as a starter, go look at Eli mannings 1st year as a starter... go look at many of the great QB's 1st year stats, and then compare them to trents

the Bills do not need to draft a QB, they need a vet backup and they need to bolster their OL and DL and upgrade the OLB position.

1) SHONERT IS AN INCOMPETENT OC

2) JAURON IS AN INCOMPETENT HC

3) IF THE HC IS INCOMPETENT, HIS SUBORDINATES PROBABLY ARE AS WELL.

QUESTION: WHAT ASSISTANT COACHES ON DJ'S (NOT HERE WHEN HE ARRIVED) WOULD LAND ON ANY TOP 15 NFL TEAM IN THEIR CURRENT COACHING POSITION? (HINT: APRIL & TOLBERT WERE ASSISTANTS WHEN DJ ARRIVED)

ANSWER: NONE

So based on your opinion, if a company's management makes bad decisions and the employees execute those bad decisions at 100% effectiveness, the company will be successful?

1) SHONERT IS AN INCOMPETENT OC

2) JAURON IS AN INCOMPETENT HC

3) IF THE HC IS INCOMPETENT, HIS SUBORDINATES PROBABLY ARE AS WELL.

QUESTION: WHAT ASSISTANT COACHES ON DJ'S (NOT HERE WHEN HE ARRIVED) WOULD LAND ON ANY TOP 15 NFL TEAM IN THEIR CURRENT COACHING POSITION? (HINT: APRIL & TOLBERT WERE ASSISTANTS WHEN DJ ARRIVED)

ANSWER: NONE

Real Answer- George Catavalos Db coach 24 years in the NFL 3rd with Bills. Was with the Panthers early on in their tenure when they went to the NFC championship in their 2nd year. DL Coach Bill Kollar 20th year in the NFL 3rd with Bills. Had success with the Rams and Falcons. In 01 when the rams made the superbowl and 98 when the Falcons made the superbowl.

I absolutely hate this argument, as it picks a single outlier and uses it to suggest that it could happen again. If we look back at the Superbowl QBs of the past twenty years the reality is you will almost always lose or never even get there with a "game managing" QB who also doesn't have some other major skill sets. They are listed winning QB/losing QB.

1988 Williams/Elway

1989 Montana/Esiason

1990 Montana/Elway

1991 Hostetler/Kelly

1992 Rypien/Kelly

1993 Aikman/Kelly

1994 Aikman/Kelly

1995 Young/Humphries

1996 Aikman/O'Donnell

1997 Farve/Bledsoe

1998 Elway/Farve

1999 Elway/Chandler (had a Probowl year)

2000 Warner/McNair

2001 Dilfer/Collins

2002 Brady/Warner

2003 Johnson (Probowl year)/Gannon

2004 Brady/Delhomme

2005 Brady/McNabb

2006 Rothlesberger/Hasselbeck

2007 P.Manning/Grossman

2008 E.Manning/Brady

How many pure game managers without also having significant skills are on that list? Maybe five, and that's debatable. How many of them ended up on the winning side? The Dilfer example is foolish as that Ravens team had one of the top defensive units in the history of the NFL. Teams need a QB who is a leader and who also can put the team on his back and will them to victory over certain stretches of the season.

You can't build a team around a mediocre "cerebral" QB and expect your defense to carrry you to a championship. A team might luck out and get there if every single thing goes their way, but in those very, very rare occasions where it happened the team lost. There isn't a single QB on the winning side of the past 20 Superbowls that Edwards will ever be better than. I just don't see it. In my opinion this team needs a legitimate franchise QB just to compete.