Gem of 2008 draft

impossible to call a bust after 1 year eh? o.k. Ryan Leaf 2nd overall selection 1998 draft, bust. 2002 WR Charles Rodgers 2nd overall pick bust, 2004 WR Reggie Williams Jacksonville Jaguars bust, 2005 QB Alex Smith Bust, 2005 Mike Williams bust, all became busts after 1st two seasons.

Don't forget the Mike Wiliams, 4th overall selection in the 2002 draft :wallbash:

If Derek Fine is a stud then I am Ralph Wilson and am looking for a hooker to split this 8ball with.

Stud: tie Stevie J and McKelvin

Gem: Stevie J ( 7th rounder!!!!)

Showed Potential: Cornerback Corner, Derek Fine, Hardy

Bust: Chris Ellis

There are no busts after one year. Well, if the guy has already been cut, then he's a legit bust, but short of that, there are no busts after a year. Except for that, I like your rankings much better than the OP's.

There are no busts after one year. Well, if the guy has already been cut, then he's a legit bust, but short of that, there are no busts after a year. Except for that, I like your rankings much better than the OP's.

I agree with your point that we can't call him a bust after one year. We all know that WR's develop slower than other skill position players and that we have to take a more patient approach with this position. With that being said I can't get excited about much of what I saw from him this year. He's slow and lumbering in and out of breaks, his hands are unreliable, his effort seems inconsistent, his confidence is shot, and now he is banged up. The only thing he's got going for him is his size and that's not even used as an advantage. Coaching as always has something to do with it and who knows how much that hinders his progress. Looking at Hardy and Ellis this season really makes you wonder how our front office evaluates talent.

foolish comments,anyone with half a brain and knows anything about this game knows its impossible to label any player a bust after one year get real.

Don't fight the hypothetical-- this is a game of prediction:

Gem of the 2008 draft: McKelvin

Stud of 2008 draft: McKelvin

Showed Potential from 2008 Draft: Bell; Steve Johnson

Bust of 2008 draft: Chris Ellis

what did corner do other than miss that blitz against cleveland that would have sealed the game?

You must of missed the Denver game where he broke up 4 passes in the fourth quarter in tight coverage

OH

and the pass breakup to secure our win!!

:thumbsup:

Now that the season is over, who do you think is the Gem of the 2008 Draft, we didn't see much of Demitrious Butler, Chris Ellis was put on IR, James Hardy put on IR, Steve Johnson came around late, Alvin Bowen was put on IR, in training camp. Derek Fine was a stud, Leodis McKelvin was a great returner, and Xavier Omon didn't do much.

Gem of the 2008 draft: Reggie Corner

Stud of 2008 draft: Derek Fine

Showed Potential from 2008 Draft: Leodis McKelvin, and Steve Johnson

Busts of 2008 draft: James Hardy, Chris Ellis

I don't wanna say James Hardy to be a bust, because we didn't use him for what we drafted him to be. A red zone threat, but he did let a lot of balls go by him, and he dropped several easy passes, got a lot of work to do in 09. Chris Ellis i didn't see much out of him.

weird post. the only clear gem at this point is McKelvin. IMO he is the best KR man in the league and proved himself a very good starting cornerback. Corner looks good. Fine looks like he do some things, but he's no where near a stud. Also too early to call anybody a bust, but Hardy and Ellis didn't do much.

It's my observation that Bills fans are pretty blind about Leodis McKelvin. He got off to a slow start granted and that was to be expected coming out of Troy State. As the season progressed, he understood the defense better, particularly the run defense where he was getting into trouble. By the second half of the season he showed he is a very willing tackler with good football temperament and was becoming very good in pass defense. The biggest concern coming out of college was his low INT totals (which of course was partly because teams didn't throw his way) and he needed to prove that he was a good "ball athlete." He only started 6 games but had two INTs (1 for a 64 yard TD) and another scintillating TD INT nullified by penalty. He also had 5 passes defensed and forced a fumble.

Also, 8 of his 9 TDs as a return man in college came on punt returns. He was not a terribly effective kickoff returner in college but that's another area in which he proved himself as a rookie. Bottom line he showed substantial improvement as the season progressed in all areas and flashes of greatness by season's end.

I think he will become a Pro Bowl cornerback, perhaps as soon as 2009 and he will end up starting at cornerback for the Bills from now until his contract expires.

He is the Gem of the Bills' draft by far right now.

Amen! The guy is a game changer...Who would you take of the guys taken before him - maybe Matt Ryan. But the dude has lived up to expectations in my book. Of course, our coaching staff didn't utilize him until mid season, but hey...

C