This is what Bill Polian would do

Got_Wood

Assuming he couldn't do anything with the coaches:

Free Agency:

Angelo Crowell - Why? Because he is a known quantity, he's a great tackler, he has a nose for the football, he knows our players and our scheme, and he will come cheaper than most linebackers in free agency. He tends to have contain issues at times, but this is a HUGE upgrade over ellison.

Oshiomogho Atogwe – Great free agent grab here fortifies our secondary alongside Whitner.

Trades:

Jason Peters and Roscoe Parrish to Lions for #20 pick, 3rd round pick, and Jon Kitna - I know this is getting old talking about this, but don't let it get old. Peters sabotaged the team last season by holding out, has a terrible attitude ("Getting to Hawaii is why we play the game"), and he can get us a great trade in return. We move Walker to LT and Chambers to right tackle. Plus we have Demetrius Bell who showed great promise last season. Parrish hasn’t been utilized enough here to merit his contract. Kitna could be an excellent backup for Trent going forward, and could step in and play well if Trent went down.

Sign and trade Jabari Greer to Browns for Martin Rucker and 3rd round pick – I know Greer showed lots of promise for us last season, but TE is one of our biggest needs. McKelvin can step in now in his spot, and Corner and Youboty will be there as well. Rucker was injured early last season, but has a ton of upside. He is the one dimensional pass catching TE we need with Fine being our solid all around guy.

Draft:

Round 1 (1st pick) – Jeremy Maclin WR - I know some won't like this pick, but this guy would be a real threat opposite Lee Evans. This guy is loaded with talent, AND could return punts in place of Roscoe.

Round 1 (2nd pick) – Everette Brown/Greg Hardy/Tyson Jackson (Best DE available) - Develop our DE of the future and get him in the rotation to make a difference right away.

Round 2 - Alex Mack/Max Unger/Jonathan Luigs (Best C available) - Center will fortify this o-line.

Round 3 (1st pick) – Alex Magee DT - More help in the rotation for Williams, Stroud, and Johnson.

Round 3 (2nd pick) – Trevor Canfield/Craig Urbik (Best OG available) - depth at OG that we need.

Round 4 – Chase Daniel QB - late value pick and potential future QB should anything happen to Trent.

Round 5 – Brannan Southerland FB - we've needed help here for a long time.

2009 Starting Lineup

Offense:

QB: Trent Edwards / Jon Kitna / Chase Daniel

WR1: Lee Evans / Steve Johnson

WR2: Jeremy Maclin / Josh Reed / James Hardy

TE: Martin Rucker / Derek Fine / Derek Schouman

RB: Marshawn Lynch / Fred Jackson / Xavier Omon

FB: Brannan Southerland

LT: Langston Walker / Demetrius Bell

LG: Derrick Dockery / Trevor Canfield

C: Alex Mack / Duke Preston

RG: Brad Butler / Duke Preston

RT: Kirk Chambers / Demetrius Bell

Defense:

CB: Terrence McGee / Ashton Youboty

CB2: Leodis McKelvin / Reggie Corner

SS: Oshiomogho Atogwe / Bryan Scott

FS: Donte Whitner / Ko Simpson

SLB: Kawika Mitchell / Alvin Bowen

MLB: Paul Posluszny / John Digiorgio

WLB: Angelo Crowell / Keith Ellison

DE: Aaron Schobel / Everette Brown

DT: Kyle Williams / Alex Magee

DT: Marcus Stroud / Spencer Johnson

DE: Chris Kelsay / Chris Ellis

Ladies and gentlemen, this is a winning team.

The first thing Polian would do, is sign the best player on the team to a long term deal. The last thing he would do is trade him. Yes, I am talking about Jason Peters.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats what happens when you keep changing things over and over again- there is no continuity and things get disjointed. This team has no semblence or order and is going nowhere fast

So instead of trying to improve, you just continue doing the same thing that isn't working, just for the sake of continuity?

Remember Polian drafted Reggie Wayne to go along with Marvin Harrison.

Jeremy Maclin is potentially a Reggie Wayne type of player. With an offense that is in desperate need of playmakers, we take this guy. Especially if we have another 1st round pick to take a Defensive end. Free agents are too expensive if you want a big play WR. Guys like TJ Housh will never end up here when we're paying big money for Evans.

I don't remember Maclin running many routes across the middle in college. If you just want a poor man's Reggie Wayne you can wait and pick Juaquin Iglesias(Oklahoma). The first thing I know Polian would do is get rid of the deadweight that is on the roster (Kelsay,Bryan, Fox, Lehman,Royal,etc.).

Our skill positions aren't all that bad- people expected James Hardy to come in and change things- rookie WR's seldom do that. He will learn to use his big frame and make plays in a season or so. Derek Fine will probably start at TE. In the slot, Reed and Johnson are pretty good and Parrish is a good #5 WR. With better blocking, Lynch will be very good. With beef up front, Mitchell and Poz will be better as will the DB's

Disagree on several points:

Results do not suggest we have quailty WR's - I've said before Evans may be better positioned as a #2 and move Reed to the slot where he belongs. I will add again, never let Roscoe Parrish back on the field as a WR again. If you want to argue that Evans is the #1 - OK - not a hill I want to die on but Hardy sure has not proven anything yet. He is at risk of being a total bust.

TE situation is very bad. Fine is a perfect reserve / role player. He does not appear to have anything close to resembling game changing ability.

With a young QB both of these areas should have been addressed last offseason.

I think this offense would be ridiculous with The Beast and Freddy "Action" Jackson slicing through the line, Mac n' Cheese (Maclin and Evans), "Spiderman" Hardy and Smooth Stevie Johnson dicing up secondaries, D-Fine and Rucker as tight ends, and Trent "Too Easy" Edwards chuckin the rock. Throw in the Mack Truck at Center, and we look like the real deal.

Anyone else like that but me?

I think he'd make a serious run at Albert Haynesworth. Then he would resign Jason Peters. At this point, he'd probably focus on the draft- primarily on the offensive and defensive line- Polian knows that this is where you build a football team.

I could see him moving down a few spots and getting a couple extra second day picks, then taking George Selvie. Then, he would package our second round pick with a Fred Jackson or Terrence McGee or both and move up and maybe get Jerry or Hardy from Ole Miss. If we can't get a good center in the draft, I am sure he would take a look at Jeff Saturday.

Our skill positions aren't all that bad- people expected James Hardy to come in and change things- rookie WR's seldom do that. He will learn to use his big frame and make plays in a season or so. Derek Fine will probably start at TE. In the slot, Reed and Johnson are pretty good and Parrish is a good #5 WR. With better blocking, Lynch will be very good. With beef up front, Mitchell and Poz will be better as will the DB's

load up on lineman is the answer. a great pass rush makes everyone better as does a dominating offensive line. get mike singletary, he understands the basics. if you can run the ball when they are expecting it, play great defense you are in every game. period. you can have all the skill position players in the world but with no solid men in the trenches you get pushed around and run over.

I think this offense would be ridiculous with The Beast and Freddy "Action" Jackson slicing through the line, Mac n' Cheese (Maclin and Evans), "Spiderman" Hardy and Smooth Stevie Johnson dicing up secondaries, D-Fine and Rucker as tight ends, and Trent "Too Easy" Edwards chuckin the rock. Throw in the Mack Truck at Center, and we look like the real deal.

Anyone else like that but me?

I'm just sorry you wasted many many hours of your life that you will never get back.

:unsure:

You can only trade Peters if you are sure that Bell is the real deal or that you know something about the free agent OTs that know else is smart enough to figure out

If you trade Peters to the Lions you'd have to get back their second 1st, 2Oth overall, their second 33 overall and one of their 3rds- Parrish is worth a 4th as he is a very good punt returner but hasn't shown much as WR.

You are right that Detroit is a possible trading partner - with Philly being the other one- the only teams with intense needs at OT and extra picks- but even these teams are unlikely trade partners as most prefer draft picks over players- I don't know as whether this is correct thinking as many drafted players bust and often even good or great players don't really blossom until their third season- I'm often shocked what different players are traded for, Randy Moss goes to the Pats for a 4th and Dallas gives a 1st, 3rd, 6th, this year and a 7th next year for Roy Willams, what's wrong with this picture.

This is what Bill Polian would do......

It takes quite a bit of hubris to put ones own thoughts out there as if they were what a true expert would think.

Trades:

Jason Peters and Roscoe Parrish to Lions for #20 pick, 3rd round pick, and Jon Kitna - I know this is getting old talking about this, but don't let it get old. Peters sabotaged the team last season by holding out, has a terrible attitude ("Getting to Hawaii is why we play the game"), and he can get us a great trade in return. We move Walker to LT and Chambers to right tackle. Plus we have Demetrius Bell who showed great promise last season. Parrish hasn’t been utilized enough here to merit his contract. Kitna could be an excellent backup for Trent going forward, and could step in and play well if Trent went down.

:P

You have to be joking with this one.

Trades:

Sign and trade Jabari Greer to Browns for Martin Rucker and 3rd round pick – I know Greer showed lots of promise for us last season, but TE is one of our biggest needs. McKelvin can step in now in his spot, and Corner and Youboty will be there as well. Rucker was injured early last season, but has a ton of upside. He is the one dimensional pass catching TE we need with Fine being our solid all around guy.

Why wouldn't the Browns just sign Greer themselves and save trading Rucker & the 3rd round pick?

Draft:

Round 1 (1st pick) – Jeremy Maclin WR - I know some won't like this pick, but this guy would be a real threat opposite Lee Evans. This guy is loaded with talent, AND could return punts in place of Roscoe.

1st round WRs often step in & become good players in their rookie seasons. :unsure:

It takes quite a bit of hubris to put ones own thoughts out there as if they were what a true expert would think.

:blink:

You have to be joking with this one.

Why wouldn't the Browns just sign Greer themselves and save trading Rucker & the 3rd round pick?

1st round WRs often step in & become good players in their rookie seasons. :unsure:

only if they're tall :worthy:

Free Agency:

Angelo Crowell - Why? Because he is a known quantity, he's a great tackler, he has a nose for the football, he knows our players and our scheme, and he will come cheaper than most linebackers in free agency. He tends to have contain issues at times, but this is a HUGE upgrade over ellison.

Oshiomogho Atogwe – Great free agent grab here fortifies our secondary alongside Whitner.

Trades:

Jason Peters and Roscoe Parrish to Lions for #20 pick, 3rd round pick, and Jon Kitna - I know this is getting old talking about this, but don't let it get old. Peters sabotaged the team last season by holding out, has a terrible attitude ("Getting to Hawaii is why we play the game"), and he can get us a great trade in return. We move Walker to LT and Chambers to right tackle. Plus we have Demetrius Bell who showed great promise last season. Parrish hasn't been utilized enough here to merit his contract. Kitna could be an excellent backup for Trent going forward, and could step in and play well if Trent went down.

Draft:

Round 1 (2nd pick) – Everette Brown/Greg Hardy/Tyson Jackson (Best DE available) - Develop our DE of the future and get him in the rotation to make a difference right away.

Round 2 - Alex Mack/Max Unger/Jonathan Luigs (Best C available) - Center will fortify this o-line.

Round 3 (1st pick) – Alex Magee DT - More help in the rotation for Williams, Stroud, and Johnson.

Round 3 (2nd pick) – Trevor Canfield/Craig Urbik (Best OG available) - depth at OG that we need.

Round 4 – Chase Daniel QB - late value pick and potential future QB should anything happen to Trent.

Round 5 – Brannan Southerland FB - we've needed help here for a long time.

2009 Starting Lineup

Offense:

QB: Trent Edwards / Jon Kitna / Chase Daniel

WR1: Lee Evans / Steve Johnson

WR2: Jeremy Maclin / Josh Reed / James Hardy

TE: Martin Rucker / Derek Fine / Derek Schouman

RB: Marshawn Lynch / Fred Jackson / Xavier Omon

FB: Brannan Southerland

LT: Langston Walker / Demetrius Bell

LG: Derrick Dockery / Trevor Canfield

C: Alex Mack / Duke Preston

RG: Brad Butler / Duke Preston

RT: Kirk Chambers / Demetrius Bell

Defense:

CB: Terrence McGee / Ashton Youboty

CB2: Leodis McKelvin / Reggie Corner

SS: Oshiomogho Atogwe / Bryan Scott

FS: Donte Whitner / Ko Simpson

SLB: Kawika Mitchell / Alvin Bowen

MLB: Paul Posluszny / John Digiorgio

WLB: Angelo Crowell / Keith Ellison

DE: Aaron Schobel / Everette Brown

DT: Kyle Williams / Alex Magee

DT: Marcus Stroud / Spencer Johnson

DE: Chris Kelsay / Chris Ellis

Ladies and gentlemen, this is a winning team.

Nice. I think this thread can be coined What Would Polian Do (WWPD)? My only criticism is I don't think Polian would be satisfied with our tackle situation with the loss of Peters. He would somehow buildup the depth on the line...