McShay has us taking TE

K-Gun10

McShay has Bills taking TE

By Chris Brown - Posted January 6th, 2009

For what it’s worth (knowing this will likely change 50 times) ESPN’s Todd McShay has the Bills taking Oklahoma TE Jermaine Gresham with the 11th pick in his mock draft. Personally I’d like to see a pass rushing DE.

Gresham has impressive numbers as is the case with just about every skill position offensive player for Oklahoma this year with 58 catches for 888 yards and 12 TDs. He’s 6′5″ 266.

He’s got good all-around talent with long arms and soft hands. So he’s an interesting prospect, but again I’d like to see the Bills address the pass rush first.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For what it’s worth (knowing this will likely change 50 times) ESPN’s Todd McShay has the Bills taking Oklahoma TE Jermaine Gresham with the 11th pick in his mock draft. Personally I’d like to see a pass rushing DE.

Gresham has impressive numbers as is the case with just about every skill position offensive player for Oklahoma this year with 58 catches for 888 yards and 12 TDs. He’s 6′5″ 266.

He’s got good all-around talent with long arms and soft hands. So he’s an interesting prospect, but again I’d like to see the Bills address the pass rush first.

How is he in the 10 yard or less pass zone?

Which pass rushers did the Bills pass up in McShay's mock?

I really do not see tight end as our most glaring need, I liked what I saw from Fine when he finally got into the lineup. I am not saying that he is the second coming of Gates, but he is serviceable and should not be the reason we lose games.

We really need a pass rush.

Why does Baltimore always seem to find these monster DLineman that play like mad men?

Did you see Pennington running for his life - and throwing 4 picks?

Pressure creates turnovers, turnovers create offensive opportunities, and more offensive opportunities "usually" means more points (insert decent center, and reliable 2nd receiver).

:unsure:

Hey it's a not a DB :P

I can't see us taking Gresham this high with the possible candidates out there at TE, but nothing can shock me anymore when it comes to the Bills. I still think we go Brown or Orakpo, whomever is on the board. Anyone know what the great Mel Kiper is saying :unsure:

Buffalo Bills: Everette Brown, DE, Florida State

After such a hot start, who would have thought that the Bills would once again end up with the No. 11 pick? It's not a good time to be a Buffalo fan right now.

One of the team's huge weaknesses this year was its lacking pass rush. Buffalo finished with 24 sacks on the year, and no player had more than four. I know Aaron Schobel missed most of the year, but they had similar problems even when he was in the lineup.

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2009.php

---------------------

11 C, Alex Mack, California Center, guard, plug him into the interior of your line and you will have a pro bowler for years to come. Mack (6' 4" 308 lbs) is one of the best centers to enter the draft in a number of years.

http://www.nfldraftdog.com/Mock_Drafts/200..._mock_draft.htm

----------------------

I'd rather see the bills draft for a bigger need then tight end and go DE or C and then go hard for Tenn TE, Bo Scaife in free agency

Which pass rushers did the Bills pass up in McShay's mock?

How's about I give you 1-10 and you deduce the rest?

1. Detroit Lions (Record: 0-16) -- Sam Bradford**, QB, Oklahoma

The Lions could have a tough choice here between Bradford and Georgia's Matthew Stafford. Bradford could use another year of experience and improved strength. There will also be concerns regarding his transition to the NFL from a shotgun-heavy offense at Oklahoma, where he is afforded the luxury of a first-class supporting cast. On the positive side, Bradford excels in the areas most critical to being a successful quarterback in the NFL: mental makeup, intangibles and accuracy.

If the Lions aren't sold on any of the available quarterbacks in the upcoming draft, selecting an elite offensive tackle like Andre Smith wouldn't be a bad option. Just ask the Dolphins how the Jake Long pick worked out.

2. St. Louis Rams (2-14) -- Andre Smith*, OT, Alabama

While his suspension for improper dealings with an agent is disappointing, it doesn't appear to point to a larger issue regarding Smith's character. Assuming those concerns are unfounded Smith should be the first offensive lineman taken off the board. He's not as polished as Long was coming out of Michigan, but Smith possesses better overall physical tools. It's no secret the Rams wanted Long badly last year so it's safe to assume Smith will be high on their wish list a few months from now.

3. Kansas City Chiefs (2-14) -- Matthew Stafford*, QB, Georgia

Tyler Thigpen showed some promise as a fill-in starter this season, which gives the Chiefs some flexibility at No. 3. There are people inside the Chiefs organization that are very high on Stafford, and for good reason. He plays under center in something close to a pro-style offense at Georgia. He faced top competition in the SEC and did not have a great supporting cast around him. Stafford also has a rifle for an arm and is very accurate when is footwork is correct. His inconsistency and lapses in judgment are concerning, which is why we could have an interesting arms race between Stafford and Bradford if both are available for the upcoming draft.

4. Seattle Seahawks (4-12) -- Aaron Curry, OLB, Wake Forest

Seahawks fans would certainly second-guess passing on a potential game-breaker like WR Michael Crabtree. It doesn't take much research, however, to realize the risks of taking a receiver this early in the draft. Curry is emerging as the top overall linebacker in the 2009 class because of his combination of physical tools, toughness and leadership. Teams build defenses around high-intensity guys like Curry and the Seahawks could be in the market if Leroy Hill bolts via free agency.

5. Cleveland Browns (4-12) -- Malcolm Jenkins, DB, Ohio State

It remains to be seen who will be making the decisions and what schemes the Browns will be running in 2009. They could be in the market for a rush-linebacker with this pick and a playmaker like Crabtree would be intriguing as well. Jenkins makes the most sense right now, though. The local product is an experienced and versatile playmaker who would instantly upgrade the athleticism of the secondary and also brings special teams value.

6. Cincinnati Bengals (4-11-1) -- Aaron Maybin**, DE/OLB, Penn State

Maybin is only a third-year sophomore and he could use another year in school to develop physically. Still, his explosive initial burst as a pass-rusher is hard to ignore. Maybin can turn the corner in a hurry and he displays a powerful upper body for his size. The Bengals need a sack artist like Maybin, even if he would serve as nothing more than a situational edge rusher early in his career.

7. Oakland Raiders (5-11) -- Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia

Although Crabtree won't wow anyone with his 40-yard dash time, it's not hard to imagine Raiders owner Al Davis pulling the trigger on the premier pass-catcher in this year's draft. Let's assume, though, that Oakland goes in a different direction and looks to find protection for its investments in QB JaMarcus Russell and RB Darren McFadden. With Smith off the board in this scenario, Monroe looks like the best available option. He's not quite as dominant as former teammate Brandon Albert (No. 15 overall to the Chiefs in 2008), but Monroe has the size and athleticism to protect Russell's blindside for many years.

8. Jacksonville Jaguars (5-11) -- Jason Smith, OT, Baylor

The Jaguars need to upgrade their offensive line and Smith is a fast-rising prospect who could figure into the top half of the first round. Smith needs to improve his bulk and strength but the former tight end displays impressive feet and size potential.

9. Green Bay Packers (6-10) -- Gerald McCoy**, DT, Oklahoma

The Packers need help in the trenches on both sides of the ball and they should find a slew of quality options at No. 9 overall. McCoy is a third-year sophomore and there's a good chance he will return to Oklahoma for another season. However, he possesses the disruptive skills to rocket up NFL draft boards should he leave early.

10. San Francisco 49ers (7-9) -- Michael Crabtree**, WR, Texas Tech

So as not to upset the copywrite infringement gods:

mock link

1. Detroit Lions (Record: 0-16) -- Sam Bradford**, QB, Oklahoma

The Lions could have a tough choice here between Bradford and Georgia's Matthew Stafford. Bradford could use another year of experience and improved strength. There will also be concerns regarding his transition to the NFL from a shotgun-heavy offense at Oklahoma, where he is afforded the luxury of a first-class supporting cast. On the positive side, Bradford excels in the areas most critical to being a successful quarterback in the NFL: mental makeup, intangibles and accuracy.

If the Lions aren't sold on any of the available quarterbacks in the upcoming draft, selecting an elite offensive tackle like Andre Smith wouldn't be a bad option. Just ask the Dolphins how the Jake Long pick worked out.

2. St. Louis Rams (2-14) -- Andre Smith*, OT, Alabama

While his suspension for improper dealings with an agent is disappointing, it doesn't appear to point to a larger issue regarding Smith's character. Assuming those concerns are unfounded Smith should be the first offensive lineman taken off the board. He's not as polished as Long was coming out of Michigan, but Smith possesses better overall physical tools. It's no secret the Rams wanted Long badly last year so it's safe to assume Smith will be high on their wish list a few months from now.

3. Kansas City Chiefs (2-14) -- Matthew Stafford*, QB, Georgia

Tyler Thigpen showed some promise as a fill-in starter this season, which gives the Chiefs some flexibility at No. 3. There are people inside the Chiefs organization that are very high on Stafford, and for good reason. He plays under center in something close to a pro-style offense at Georgia. He faced top competition in the SEC and did not have a great supporting cast around him. Stafford also has a rifle for an arm and is very accurate when is footwork is correct. His inconsistency and lapses in judgment are concerning, which is why we could have an interesting arms race between Stafford and Bradford if both are available for the upcoming draft.

4. Seattle Seahawks (4-12) -- Aaron Curry, OLB, Wake Forest

Seahawks fans would certainly second-guess passing on a potential game-breaker like WR Michael Crabtree. It doesn't take much research, however, to realize the risks of taking a receiver this early in the draft. Curry is emerging as the top overall linebacker in the 2009 class because of his combination of physical tools, toughness and leadership. Teams build defenses around high-intensity guys like Curry and the Seahawks could be in the market if Leroy Hill bolts via free agency.

5. Cleveland Browns (4-12) -- Malcolm Jenkins, DB, Ohio State

It remains to be seen who will be making the decisions and what schemes the Browns will be running in 2009. They could be in the market for a rush-linebacker with this pick and a playmaker like Crabtree would be intriguing as well. Jenkins makes the most sense right now, though. The local product is an experienced and versatile playmaker who would instantly upgrade the athleticism of the secondary and also brings special teams value.

Maybin is only a third-year sophomore and he could use another year in school to develop physically. Still, his explosive initial burst as a pass-rusher is hard to ignore. Maybin can turn the corner in a hurry and he displays a powerful upper body for his size. The Bengals need a sack artist like Maybin, even if he would serve as nothing more than a situational edge rusher early in his career.

7. Oakland Raiders (5-11) -- Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia

Although Crabtree won't wow anyone with his 40-yard dash time, it's not hard to imagine Raiders owner Al Davis pulling the trigger on the premier pass-catcher in this year's draft. Let's assume, though, that Oakland goes in a different direction and looks to find protection for its investments in QB JaMarcus Russell and RB Darren McFadden. With Smith off the board in this scenario, Monroe looks like the best available option. He's not quite as dominant as former teammate Brandon Albert (No. 15 overall to the Chiefs in 2008), but Monroe has the size and athleticism to protect Russell's blindside for many years.

8. Jacksonville Jaguars (5-11) -- Jason Smith, OT, Baylor

The Jaguars need to upgrade their offensive line and Smith is a fast-rising prospect who could figure into the top half of the first round. Smith needs to improve his bulk and strength but the former tight end displays impressive feet and size potential.

9. Green Bay Packers (6-10) -- Gerald McCoy**, DT, Oklahoma

The Packers need help in the trenches on both sides of the ball and they should find a slew of quality options at No. 9 overall. McCoy is a third-year sophomore and there's a good chance he will return to Oklahoma for another season. However, he possesses the disruptive skills to rocket up NFL draft boards should he leave early.

10. San Francisco 49ers (7-9) -- Michael Crabtree**, WR, Texas Tech

So as not to upset the copywrite infringement gods:

mock link

I guess this must be the "shot in the dark" version of his mock.

I'd look for CIN to grab one from the OL pool before BUF picks. For their last 5 games, LT was manned by a 4th round rookie, LG by a PS'er. Franchise player RT Stacey Andrews went down in game 15 with serious right knee injury.

Their C is strictly so-so. Good games, bad games. Long time starter LT Levi Jones has been in and out for the past few years (knee). My guess is that he's gone. He is also cranky, in case folks here would like to have him sign with BUF - the start of the '07 season, he was crying tears about how he wasn't being appreciated. He owns a 1.4 million dollar Bugatti Veyron.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bugatti_Veyron

Poor baby. :unsure:

QB Palmer's contract is so immense, his cap cost so high, they have to pull out all the stops to keep the OL in shape.

If there are no quality TE's that can be had in FA then I totally see Buffalo grabbing one with the 11th pick or in the 2nd round.

I do see Buffalo grabbing a center in FA, and drafting one later rounds.....

But if anything DE has to be addressed immediately. Id love to see Buffalo grab a hell of a DE in FA and draft one as well. Cut ties with Denney & Kelsay.......

Like I always say free agency will dictate what we do in this draft.

Anyone remember saying that the 09 draft class was going to be one of the weakest, well thus far it looks pretty damn strong to me......several players that can help Buffalo win.