McShay has us taking TE

K-Gun10

So since #11 has been perhaps the very best position to draft at in the last seven years (especially considering the money), with pro bowlers everywhere, you're suggesting we trade out of it? If I were you, I'd be expecting a call from the Bills and an invitation into their war room any minute.

You and I both know it's complete luck that the 11th pick produced those players. It's far too coincidental that those drafts lined up to reflect those players. I'll go out on a limb and guess that NFL GM's (for those teams that have them) aren't using this logic as a guide about which pick to trade up to.

As for the money, it's not as beneficial as you say it is. McKelvin signed a 5 yr 19.4M agreement which I don't see as cheap. Besides, if you're concerned with cap room, Buffalo's got plenty of it this coming off-season. A low first and a second rounder probably wouldn't receive contracts which combine to surpass the 11th overall selection anyway.

If Buffalo finds a willing trade partner for 11 and can pick up a 2nd in the process, I think it's a good move. But much of that rides on how the draft plays out. Buffalo needs options, and can't afford to isolate on one player with as many needs as they have.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McShay has Bills taking TE

By Chris Brown - Posted January 6th, 2009

For what it’s worth (knowing this will likely change 50 times) ESPN’s Todd McShay has the Bills taking Oklahoma TE Jermaine Gresham with the 11th pick in his mock draft. Personally I’d like to see a pass rushing DE.

Gresham has impressive numbers as is the case with just about every skill position offensive player for Oklahoma this year with 58 catches for 888 yards and 12 TDs. He’s 6′5″ 266.

He’s got good all-around talent with long arms and soft hands. So he’s an interesting prospect, but again I’d like to see the Bills address the pass rush first.

This guy is the next Gates or Ben Coats only faster and bigger! He would be a terrific pick for us and make Evans shine! Hardy will improve and Fred Jackson out of the backfield will become a more frequent option, i.e. the long catch in the Dever game. Gresham in addition to Matt Birk and this Offence would be a top ten "O".

We know Marv/Dick were completely petrified of trading down when Whitner was on the board, and while I hope they've learned their lesson I don't think they have.

Why do you say this? Just because we didn't doesnt mean they were scared to do so.

One, they need a trading partner, one that is in a position to where the office feels confident they can still get their guy, so that limits how far down you can go and therefore limits the pool of potential trading partners.

Two, the team we are trading with has to want a guy bad enough that is available that they feel won't be in their existing slot and be willing to part with enough compensation to warrant us moving down and risking not getting the targeted player.

Three, if the guy you truly want is there and it appears he is coveted by another team near your draft slot, you have to stay put and make your pick.

So, these claims that we were too stupid to trade down, too scared to trade down, etc. are laughable. There is SOOO much that goes into trading down and is no where near as simple as posters make it out to be.

You and I both know it's complete luck that the 11th pick produced those players. It's far too coincidental that those drafts lined up to reflect those players. I'll go out on a limb and guess that NFL GM's (for those teams that have them) aren't using this logic as a guide about which pick to trade up to.

As for the money, it's not as beneficial as you say it is. McKelvin signed a 5 yr 19.4M agreement which I don't see as cheap. Besides, if you're concerned with cap room, Buffalo's got plenty of it this coming off-season. A low first and a second rounder probably wouldn't receive contracts which combine to surpass the 11th overall selection anyway.

If Buffalo finds a willing trade partner for 11 and can pick up a 2nd in the process, I think it's a good move. But much of that rides on how the draft plays out. Buffalo needs options, and can't afford to isolate on one player with as many needs as they have.

I was half kidding and pretty much agree with all you said there. But, #11 does seem like a pretty good spot to draft from when all is said and done, like certain spots in fantasy drafts are often better than #1 or #2. The money McLovin signed for is not peanuts but it's a helluva lot better than, say, the 1-5 spots. I'm not even sure I would want the #1 or #2 pick in the draft these days. And 5 years 19 mil, by the time it's over, will be super cheap for any decent starting CB, let alone a guy who may very well excel like Leodis.

I'm certainly not worried about our cap space. In fact, we'll very likely have more trouble paying out the minimum than the maximum.

And yes, I would love a trade down from #11 to pick up an extra #2, as long as we got something along the lines of say, TE Gresham, C Mack and a potential starter DE or LB.

I was half kidding and pretty much agree with all you said there. But, #11 does seem like a pretty good spot to draft from when all is said and done, like certain spots in fantasy drafts are often better than #1 or #2. The money McLovin signed for is not peanuts but it's a helluva lot better than, say, the 1-5 spots. I'm not even sure I would want the #1 or #2 pick in the draft these days. And 5 years 19 mil, by the time it's over, will be super cheap for any decent starting CB, let alone a guy who may very well excel like Leodis.

I'm certainly not worried about our cap space. In fact, we'll very likely have more trouble paying out the minimum than the maximum.

And yes, I would love a trade down from #11 to pick up an extra #2, as long as we got something along the lines of say, TE Gresham, C Mack and a potential starter DE or LB.

Wasn't sure there KFBD. Eleven isn't super high where you have to hand out the mammoth contract. And it's not insane either, considering what players are making.

Agree completely on Gresham or Mack along with a DE or LB. Drafting one of them and adding a 2nd to get a slightly under the radar DE. I keep reading about Connor Barwin or Matt Shaughnessey. Still have some research to go there.

I do think McKelvin has the ability to become that defensive player teams watch out for. The break he had on the pick 6 from Thigpen was pure instinct. I think he'll be a very good pick for Buffalo.

Why do you say this? Just because we didn't doesnt mean they were scared to do so.

One, they need a trading partner, one that is in a position to where the office feels confident they can still get their guy, so that limits how far down you can go and therefore limits the pool of potential trading partners.

Two, the team we are trading with has to want a guy bad enough that is available that they feel won't be in their existing slot and be willing to part with enough compensation to warrant us moving down and risking not getting the targeted player.

Three, if the guy you truly want is there and it appears he is coveted by another team near your draft slot, you have to stay put and make your pick.

So, these claims that we were too stupid to trade down, too scared to trade down, etc. are laughable. There is SOOO much that goes into trading down and is no where near as simple as posters make it out to be.

Bill from NYC has mentioned that he heard Levy on Sirius after or during the draft admith they had an offer to trade down. Ultimately they refused, and selected Whitner. Apparently, they thought Detroit would select him, which I don't think was likely.

The 2006 draft was a poor attempt at rebuilding, given that the Bills addressed the secondary before having a solid OL and DL.

The draft is all about being savvy. DJ and Marv have a lot of book smarts, but they're the type who don't have the street smarts to fool other front offices. And those two guys were running the draft that year.