Is Perry Fewell the Problem?

H2o

We all have our complaints about DJ. But is the real problem, with our defense atleast, Perry Fewell? Maybe the axe should fall on this guy. We all see the way he's run this "Tampa 2" over the past couple of years. He doesn't seem like the sharpest tool in the shed. He's not creative with his blitzes or line stunts and his play calling is garbage at best. He has the corners play too far off of their man which allows the opposing offense easy completions. I don't care who we have out there playing corner you cannot cover an out, post, or hook route 10 yards off of the WR. I know I'm not the only one to notice because others have talked about it as well. I think we should bring in another Defensive Cordinator who specializes in the Tampa 2 to do something with this defense if we're not going to switch to anything else.

We all have our complaints about DJ. But is the real problem, with our defense atleast, Perry Fewell? Maybe the axe should fall on this guy. We all see the way he's run this "Tampa 2" over the past couple of years. He doesn't seem like the sharpest tool in the shed. He's not creative with his blitzes or line stunts and his play calling is garbage at best. He has the corners play too far off of their man which allows the opposing offense easy completions. I don't care who we have out there playing corner you cannot cover an out, post, or hook route 10 yards off of the WR. I know I'm not the only one to notice because others have talked about it as well. I think we should bring in another Defensive Cordinator who specializes in the Tampa 2 to do something with this defense if we're not going to switch to anything else.

Lets see the only unit that has improved between the offense and the defense was the DEFENSE. The gave up less yards and less points.

The peice thats lacking in the success of the tampa two is the pass rush of the front four. Get one more stroud type player in the middle with dtroud and watch the defense get even better.

Its a swarm defense that doenst rely on the corners its the fron four thats suppose to creat enough pressure to disrupt the pass making it easir on the corners to make the play.

We have one viable DE and one viable DT........how can you expect him to scheme around that?

While I agree with you its the poor play upfront, I disagree its our DT's fault. Our interior D played a lot better and was quite a bit more effective before Schobel went down. In fact, if I am not mistaken, we were top 5 in the league agaisnt the run when we were 5-1 after facing some pretty good running teams. Schobel is one of the best DE in the league against the run, plus he draws extra attention on the pass rush making life easier on our DT's.

Once we lost any real threat outside, it allowed them to give more attention to the middle making our interior line less effective.

We get a good DE on the other side of Schobel then it will make a real big difference. Throw in a LB who can wreak havoc for the QB and get in there as well, and we have one of the better D's in the league as our secondary is pretty solid when healthy, although a upgrade a safety to pair with Whitner would also be a welcomed addition.

Jauron wants to play Tampa 2

Jauron hired Fewell

Jauron approves the defensive game plan each week

Jauron retained Fewell for 2008

Jauron may retain Fewell for 2009

While I agree with you its the poor play upfront, I disagree its our DT's fault. Our interior D played a lot better and was quite a bit more effective before Schobel went down. In fact, if I am not mistaken, we were top 5 in the league agaisnt the run when we were 5-1 after facing some pretty good running teams. Schobel is one of the best DE in the league against the run, plus he draws extra attention on the pass rush making life easier on our DT's.

Once we lost any real threat outside, it allowed them to give more attention to the middle making our interior line less effective.

We get a good DE on the other side of Schobel then it will make a real big difference. Throw in a LB who can wreak havoc for the QB and get in there as well, and we have one of the better D's in the league as our secondary is pretty solid when healthy, although a upgrade a safety to pair with Whitner would also be a welcomed addition.

Schobel can be good against the run or as a pass rusher, but struggles when attempting to do both. WHat we need is a bigger DE opposite him- a guy that can dominate. Then Schobel can just focus on pass rushing. Kevin Williams just doesn't cut it.....I am hoping a healthy John McCargo can do what we expected him to do this past season

Our entire defensive scheme demaded we have a dependable pass rush. not once in the 4 + years Fewell has been DC for the Bills has he adjusted for the obvious problem of no pass rush with much success.

our bend don't break D is designed for clubs that do not want to spend funds but want to look like they can compete at times.

Yes Fewell is part of the problem, but not having the personell to play was also a big part.

Schobel can be good against the run or as a pass rusher, but struggles when attempting to do both. WHat we need is a bigger DE opposite him- a guy that can dominate. Then Schobel can just focus on pass rushing. Kevin Williams just doesn't cut it.....I am hoping a healthy John McCargo can do what we expected him to do this past season

Haha, darn those passrun plays that force our DE's to decide which to play!

I assume you mean Kyle Williams, and he's doing just fine, IMO. Doesn't dominate, but is very, very solid.

Obviously a dominant DE is something that would benefit us...

I wouldn't hold out hope for McCargo. We gambled and lost on that one, IMO. I hope I'm wrong.

Perry is not the problem. I'm not a big fan of Tampa 2 and bend but don't break etc. However, it seems to be working. Our defense was better in '08 than '07 and if we can get a few more good defensive lineman and linebackers will be even better next year.

Our defense kept us in every game except 1 and had us in position to win. A few more turnovers and a lot of help from our offense would work wonders.

No I dont think Fewell is the problem.

Think back on all the injuries on the defense the last 2 seasons.

bad luck and lack of people who can pass rush is the problem.

I would have liked to see the Defense with a Schobel, McGee, Youbooty, Greer and Crowell. so it was not at full strength all year long it seems

They would have been better and with that said they were better than last season without the above mentioned players.

so if you give Fewell 2 more pass rushers they would be in the top 10 next year maybe if they avoid the injuries.

I would give Kelsey the pink slip, let Denney start and add 1 free agent and 1 high draft pick that can rush the passer and we will be ok on Defense.

They can keep Greer if the use the money freed up by letting Kelsey go IMO

Fewell's D has had some good games. There are some games where Fewell looks like a top coordinator. There are other games where the D looks like they have no idea how to stop the other team.

If you were dividing things into either problems or solutions, I guess I'd say Fewell was on the problem side. But when I think about it, I cannot come up with many things I'd put on the solution side.

Perry Fewell may be 'a' problem, but he is not 'the' problem

I agree. Fewell was terrible. He did nothing to generate pressure on opposing quarterbacks. While our DE's are useless, Fewell never made any adjustments to create a pass rush. The Bills never blitzed safetys or corners and seldom blitzed linebackers. As a result, our defense was picked apart by almost every quaterback we faced. Fewell was a big part of the problem. The Bills should replace him.

I agree. Fewell was terrible. He did nothing to generate pressure on opposing quarterbacks. While our DE's are useless, Fewell never made any adjustments to create a pass rush. The Bills never blitzed safetys or corners and seldom blitzed linebackers. As a result, our defense was picked apart by almost every quaterback we faced. Fewell was a big part of the problem. The Bills should replace him.

Our pass defense isn't that great and you want to blitz with guys like Ellison in coverage? If you can't generate a pass rush with your front four you can't do much of anything.

Our entire defensive scheme demaded we have a dependable pass rush. not once in the 4 + years Fewell has been DC for the Bills has he adjusted for the obvious problem of no pass rush with much success.

our bend don't break D is designed for clubs that do not want to spend funds but want to look like they can compete at times.

Yes Fewell is part of the problem, but not having the personell to play was also a big part.

The last i checked, the NY Giants don't pay a ton for its DEs and yet they put lot of pressure on the QBs...It is not all about the money....Coaching does matter.