Mularkey a candidate?

I heard today that Mike Mularkey has become a candidate for the Head-Coaching position in Detroit. On ESPN, they said that the Lions will look to take QB Matt Stafford with the #1 selection in this year's draft...and they noted how well Mike Mularkey has brought along and developed Matty "Ice" Ryan, down in Atlanta. Why couldn't he do that with JP Losman?

On a more positive note...I saw a post about "HORRIBLE" castoffs (Former Bills) enjoying success in the playoffs. Well, I don't see it that way. I would like to "Thank" all of those players, coaches and executives, who gave their time and hard-work to the Buffalo Bills franchise and the community of Buffalo. Even though they play and/or work for other teams, they used to be a part of this organization...it is not (MOST) of their faults that they were sent packing from Orchard Park.

Congrats, Good Luck...and, Thank You for your time:

Indianapolis Colts

Bill Polian - General Manager

Pete Metzelaars - Offensive Quality Control Coach / Offensive Line Assistant Coach

Frank Reich - Offensive Assistant Coach

Jon Torine - Strength and Conditioning Coach

San Diego Chargers

AJ Smith - General Manager

Charlie Joiner - Wide Receivers Coach

Bill Bradley - Secondary Coach

Dennis Abraham - Director of Pro Scouting

Mike Biehl - Assistant Director of College Scouting

Baltimore Ravens

Willis McGahee - Running Back

Jim Leonhard - Free Safety

Justin Bannan - Defensive Tackle

Miami Dolphins

Dan Henning - Offensive Coordinator

Atlanta Falcons

Mike Mularkey - Offensive Coordinator

Lawyer Milloy - Strong Safety

Coy Wire - Outside Linebacker

Jason Jefferson - Defensive Tackle

Mike Schneck - Long Snapper

Arizona Cardinals

Mike Miller - Wide Receivers Coach

Mike Gandy - Offensive Tackle

Philadelphia Eagles

Jim Johnson - Defensive Coordinator

Jon Dorenbos - Long Snapper

Minnesota Vikings

Pat Williams - Defensive Tackle

Antoine Winfield - Cornerback

New York Giants

Kevin Gilbride - Offensive Coordinator

Carolina Panthers

Darwin Walker - Defensive Tackle

Pittsburgh Steelers

Dick Lebeau - Defensive Coordinator

Larry Zierlein - Offensive Line Coach

Tennessee Titans

Fred Graves - Wide Receivers Coach

Josh Stamer - Outside Linebacker

Eric King - Cornerback

*I would also like to send a "Congrats and Good Luck" to some former Syracuse University alum:

(Besides the MANY coaches (Head and Assistants) that worked for the Orange, MANY of whom are on the Miami Dolphins coaching staff, including Defensive Coordinator Paul Pasqualoni.)

Donovan McNabb (QB - Philadelphia Eagles)

Adam Terry (OT - Baltimore Ravens)

David Tyree (WR - New York Giants)

Quinn Ojinnaka (OT - Atlanta Falcons)

Anthony Smith (S - Pittsburgh Steelers)

Keith Bulluck (LB - Tennessee Titans)

Rich Scanlon (LB - Tennessee Titans)

Will Allen (CB - Miami Dolphins)

Kelvin Smith (LB - Miami Dolphins)

Marvin Harrison (WR - Indianapolis Colts)

Dwight Freeney (DE - Indianapolis Colts)

Josh Thomas (DE - Indianapolis Colts)

Ryan Lacasse (DE - Indianapolis Colts)

Congrats and Good Luck to some local coaches as well.

-Kevin Spencer (Arizona Cardinals / Special Teams Coach) - Former Cortland Grad and Ithaca Coach.

-Matt House (Carolina Panthers / Special Teams Coach) - University of Buffalo Assistant Coach.

MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL - Tom Coughlin from Waterloo. Good Luck Coach Coughlin!

*I am sure I missed some Coaches and/or Executives, I tried to name the well-known guys. I do not like to rip on players, especially good character guys who gave their time and committment to us for years. If you do not agree with me, or have a problem with this, just go away and don't read my post. This is my way to show my appreciation.

The Buffalo Bills are not in the playoffs this year, I could not decide who to root for, although I do like the Arizona Cardinals as my "2nd favorite" team or my NFC team...so I am rooting for THESE GUYS (mentioned above)!!!

(I also wanna add...it was hard watching Rookie CB's Antoine Cason and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie not only START for their teams in the Playoffs, but also come up big with some game-changing plays. I hope McKelvin was watching.)

I heard today that Mike Mularkey has become a candidate for the Head-Coaching position in Detroit. On ESPN, they said that the Lions will look to take QB Matt Stafford with the #1 selection in this year's draft...and they noted how well Mike Mularkey has brought along and developed Matty "Ice" Ryan, down in Atlanta. Why couldn't he do that with JP Losman?

HMMMM... I wonder. I'll take "Maybe you can't polish a turd?" for $500 Alex.

It will be interesting to see what happens w/ Losman once he's on another team. Maybe he'll show people that he's not a quality NFL quarterback. Or maybe, just maybe, he'll prove himself to be as much a "turd" as guys like Bannan and Gilbride. I hope Losman does well elsewhere, just not @ the expense of the Bills. Please.

It will be interesting to see what happens w/ Losman once he's on another team. Maybe he'll show people that he's not a quality NFL quarterback. Or maybe, just maybe, he'll prove himself to be as much a "turd" as guys like Bannan and Gilbride. I hope Losman does well elsewhere, just not @ the expense of the Bills. Please.

I hope you're right, I've always rooted for JP. I just don't think he has the right head on his shoulders to be a starting QB in this league.

I'll just say that I have newfound respect for Mularky after this season.

Dude was forced to make bricks w/o clay with TD's Look-at-me-I'm-so-smart picks and forced to retain Jerry 'Blitz on every play' Gray. He had enough sense to see the writing on the wall when Ralph decided to stick his feet back into the bathtub.

I'm not going to defend every coaching move he made while here --- he frustrated me like every coach since Wade --- but at least he saw Bledsoe for what he was and didn't stubbornly stick with something that obviously wasn't/couldn't be successful. More than you can say for the current operation at OBD.

..and they noted how well Mike Mularkey has brought along and developed Matty "Ice" Ryan, down in Atlanta. Why couldn't he do that with JP Losman?...

Exactly. I mean it's not as though Ryan and Losman are dissimilar in any way. Even after 5 years in the league and over 30 starts, JP still commands the field every bit as well as Ryan. I don't get it either. Why couldn't Malarkey do the same with JP?

GO BILLS!!!

I know that all Ukranians look alike to you, but you have Brent Celek confused with Brad Cieslak.

I would think quite a few Ukranian women could play tight end in the NFL as well.

Why did we cut Cieslak? He looks to have the best instincts of any TE we've had here in recent memory.

I would think quite a few Ukranian women could play tight end in the NFL as well.

Binary outcome. Either play defensive linemen or star in the lingerie bowl.

Why did we cut Cieslak? He looks to have the best instincts of any TE we've had here in recent memory.

My guess is that he fell victim to numbers - street free agent was lower on the totem pole than Royal, Shouman & Fine.

Matt Ryan was ready for the NFL. JP was a very green QB who was running for his life in Tulane and lacked the fundamentals but had the physical tools. However in the speedy NFL, if you do not grasp the fundamentals, your tools are useless. JP Losman will be shrined in the HoF as an exhibit of HOW NOT TO GROOM A QB IN THE NFL.

Because JP sucks? Seriously though I don't pity the team that potentially hires him like I did when the Greg Williams HC rumors were hot a couple years ago when the Redskins D had a good year (not that a Bills fan should pity anyone). I thought from a strategic and game/clock management standpoint he was much sharper than both Williams and Jauron (of course I was flamed when I said this a couple years ago). We also scored on our opening possession with amazing frequency considering what he had to work with, which I think is a good indicator that he can put together a gameplan.

Whether or not he did a good job of holding together a lockeroom is another story, but that's not really something any of us here have enough info on based on a random newspaper quote from Eric Moulds or whoever. I mean seriously, if people didn't pay attention to these meangingless player quotes and just went by the games, what evidence is there that our Jauron teams play harder - the Jets/Broncos games? In December of '05 we beat the Bengals on the road who were a playoff team that year. You want to bring up the home loss in primetime to Denver that year? How was that different than the Pats game this year?

Nice 'Cuse tidbit btw.

Mularkey was always a decent OC, IMO. He just wasn't HC material, at the time. It's funny because, in his first year, it looked like he might turn out fine. But, he seemed to start second guessing himself after that. Maybe it was TD second guessing him...it is hard to know for sure. Perhaps he will have better luck on his next venture.

As for why MM didn't have the same success developing JP as he did Ryan, it's a flawed question, IMO. Mike was HEAD COACH with the Bills and OC with the Falcons. Very different jobs and responsibilities. Plus, clearly Ryan came to the NFL better prepared than did JP.

Leodis McKelvin probably plays more if it's not for Jabari Greer. McLovin made some game changing plays already this season, and he's one of the best kick returners in the league.

Look at the replay of the INT he took back for a TD against KC. He made a great break on a ball thrown in a place he should not have been able to get to. He then fought his way into the EZ.

He's a talent, and he'll get better. DRC and Cason aren't bad, but I'd take McLovin any day.

Leodis McKelvin probably plays more if it's not for Jabari Greer. McLovin made some game changing plays already this season, and he's one of the best kick returners in the league.

Look at the replay of the INT he took back for a TD against KC. He made a great break on a ball thrown in a place he should not have been able to get to. He then fought his way into the EZ.

He's a talent, and he'll get better. DRC and Cason aren't bad, but I'd take McLovin any day.

I agree...but, did you post this in the wrong thread?

And yet our current front office and roster SUCK! Id like to ask all Bills alumni what they think of Ralph Wilson.

So you're a Jauron fan, then? I mean 7 wins with a roster that SUCKS is pretty good, right?