Mularkey a candidate?

I think the problem MM had was TD pulling his strings behind the scene. MM's first year was TD's 4th. At that part TD's parinoia started getting bad, but by TD's last year (MM's #2) TD was out of control. Remember him throwing people out for signs. People accused MM of being wishy washy, looking confused in press conference, etc by the end of year #2. I think that was because he had to think carefully about anything he said as what will TD want him to say. I think ulitimately that was what brought TD down, was his trying to control everything.

Funny to for a guy who when he first came to town, was extremely open with the press. I recall he had many of these "off the reocrd" lunches with the media. But by around the 3rd and 4th year, people being critical of the McGhee and the Mike Williams picks to name a few, sent him over the edge

There are a number of coaches who learned from first failure and improved, look at Belicheck. so he too could do much better the second time around.

Mularkey was always a decent OC, IMO. He just wasn't HC material, at the time. It's funny because, in his first year, it looked like he might turn out fine. But, he seemed to start second guessing himself after that. Maybe it was TD second guessing him...it is hard to know for sure. Perhaps he will have better luck on his next venture.

I heard today that Mike Mularkey has become a candidate for the Head-Coaching position in Detroit. On ESPN, they said that the Lions will look to take QB Matt Stafford with the #1 selection in this year's draft...and they noted how well Mike Mularkey has brought along and developed Matty "Ice" Ryan, down in Atlanta. Why couldn't he do that with JP Losman?

On a more positive note...I saw a post about "HORRIBLE" castoffs (Former Bills) enjoying success in the playoffs. Well, I don't see it that way. I would like to "Thank" all of those players, coaches and executives, who gave their time and hard-work to the Buffalo Bills franchise and the community of Buffalo. Even though they play and/or work for other teams, they used to be a part of this organization...it is not (MOST) of their faults that they were sent packing from Orchard Park.

Congrats, Good Luck...and, Thank You for your time:

Philadelphia Eagles

Jim Johnson - Defensive Coordinator

Carolina Panthers

Darwin Walker - Defensive Tackle

/quote]

First and foremost, when did Jim Johnson coach in Buffalo, and why they ever let him go?? Secondly, Darwin never played a down for Buffalo! Why are you wishing that idiot well??

Because JP sucks? Seriously though I don't pity the team that potentially hires him like I did when the Greg Williams HC rumors were hot a couple years ago when the Redskins D had a good year (not that a Bills fan should pity anyone). I thought from a strategic and game/clock management standpoint he was much sharper than both Williams and Jauron (of course I was flamed when I said this a couple years ago). We also scored on our opening possession with amazing frequency considering what he had to work with, which I think is a good indicator that he can put together a gameplan.

Whether or not he did a good job of holding together a lockeroom is another story, but that's not really something any of us here have enough info on based on a random newspaper quote from Eric Moulds or whoever. I mean seriously, if people didn't pay attention to these meangingless player quotes and just went by the games, what evidence is there that our Jauron teams play harder - the Jets/Broncos games? In December of '05 we beat the Bengals on the road who were a playoff team that year. You want to bring up the home loss in primetime to Denver that year? How was that different than the Pats game this year?

Nice 'Cuse tidbit btw.

I always hated all that "meathead" talk about Mularkey. I also remember how good the Bills were on their opening possessions under Mularkey. It seemed that whenever they were scripted they played with purpose and efficiency.

He might have worked out in Buffalo, but the situation at the end of that second season wasn't good for him. And Bills fans have not been in the mood to excuse any mistakes for some time now.

I always hated all that "meathead" talk about Mularkey. I also remember how good the Bills were on their opening possessions under Mularkey. It seemed that whenever they were scripted they played with purpose and efficiency.

He might have worked out in Buffalo, but the situation at the end of that second season wasn't good for him. And Bills fans have not been in the mood to excuse any mistakes for some time now.

Mularkey did lead us to our last winning season. I always thought that if Ralph hadn't told him to start JP in 2005 and had instead gone one more year with Blue Dredsloe at QB, 2005 would have been a whole lot better. Playoffs were not out of the question. The 2004 team finished on a roll. I personally witnessed Mularkey totally out coach Mike "the Walrus" Holmgren and make him look like a total fool in the process. Chalk Mularkey's demise up to yet another bone headed decision by Ralph.

Are things really this bad that fans are now saying that mike Mularky wasn't a bad coach in Buffalo and it may have been a mistake letting him go?????

We have now reached SUB Rock Bottom here people

It's all relative. About now 9-7 and winning 7 out of the last 9 and playing for a playoff spot on the last week of the season sounds pretty good! If Ralph hadn't stepped in with another of his bone headed football ideas (starting JP in 2005) things might be a lot different right now.

Are things really this bad that fans are now saying that mike Mularky wasn't a bad coach in Buffalo and it may have been a mistake letting him go?????

Its hard to tell.....most fans are so out of touch, they just want to pull the plug on everything without isolating what is wrong- did I say the fans are out of touch? Funny- they seem to throw that one at the owner. Difference is that I am right

Folks forget about the horrible job he did down in Miami before they let him go as well - Mularkey in charge of their offense and their big off-season aquisition of Culpepper at OB. I was laughing so hard at those moves :unsure::P:wallbash:

Mularky has been going through "on the job training" and most of those candidates get their feet wet at the "we hire them cheap" Ralph Wilson school of personnel and coaching.

Who could forget when Miami had the ball on our 1 yd line with Buffalo possessing the worst rated run defense in the league, but a decent pass defense. What does Mularkey do? He calls 5 passes in a row - yes, 5 of them. Because the 4th fade pass was deemed interference and there was another call against the Dolfelons and they got another shot.

I remember that so well because I was playing some guy at work in Fantasy Football and he had the Miami running back - I had to call him right away and tell him how much I loved watching Mularkey at the helm in Miami.

Now maybe he has learned a bit from all those failures, but there is no doubt that his stint with the Bills was a failure, and his subsequent stint with Miami was a failure, but it appears he has gotten his act together in Atlanta.

Mularkey wasn't a good HEAD COACH in Buffalo...but they didn't let him go. In fact, they asked him to stay.

MM as an offensive coordinator is another matter, entirely.

Folks forget about the horrible job he did down in Miami before they let him go as well - Mularkey in charge of their offense and their big off-season aquisition of Culpepper at OB. I was laughing so hard at those moves :unsure::P:wallbash:

Mularky has been going through "on the job training" and most of those candidates get their feet wet at the "we hire them cheap" Ralph Wilson school of personnel and coaching.

Who could forget when Miami had the ball on our 1 yd line with Buffalo possessing the worst rated run defense in the league, but a decent pass defense. What does Mularkey do? He calls 5 passes in a row - yes, 5 of them. Because the 4th fade pass was deemed interference and there was another call against the Dolfelons and they got another shot.

I remember that so well because I was playing some guy at work in Fantasy Football and he had the Miami running back - I had to call him right away and tell him how much I loved watching Mularkey at the helm in Miami.

Now maybe he has learned a bit from all those failures, but there is no doubt that his stint with the Bills was a failure, and his subsequent stint with Miami was a failure, but it appears he has gotten his act together in Atlanta.

Could it be that maybe he did not have very much success up here because he had a washed up qb(Bledsoe), a never been qb(Holcolmb) & a sh*t for brains qb(Losman)? & maybe just maybe he was not very good in Miami because he had a gimp playing on leg as qb(Culpepper), & 2 guys that should not even be in the league at qb (Lemon & Beck).

& could it be now he is having success down in Atlanta because he finally has a young viable smart franchise type qb(Ryan) to work with?

This is an interesting trend.

Mularkey wasn't a good HEAD COACH in Buffalo...but they didn't let him go. In fact, they asked him to stay.

MM as an offensive coordinator is another matter, entirely.

Its debatable as to what exactly happened cause we really don't know what happened behind the scenes.

I just love how he now goes to being fairly decent, and like everything else, better then whats here now, just one good season after he had been dismal for years

Philadelphia Eagles

Jim Johnson - Defensive Coordinator

Carolina Panthers

Darwin Walker - Defensive Tackle

/quote]

First and foremost, when did Jim Johnson coach in Buffalo, and why they ever let him go?? Secondly, Darwin never played a down for Buffalo! Why are you wishing that idiot well??

My bad...Jim Johnson was a Tight End in Buffalo from 1963-1964, thought it said Tight Ends Coach.

As for Darwin...don't blame him that he realized he got unwillingly traded to a piece of sh-- team going nowhere! I should not say "TEAM," because I love the Buffalo Bills and the players on this team, I will say "ORGANIZATION" instead...although it is not very organized!

Its debatable as to what exactly happened cause we really don't know what happened behind the scenes.

I just love how he now goes to being fairly decent, and like everything else, better then whats here now, just one good season after he had been dismal for years

You are correct, we do not know what happened behind the scenes. But, we do know, unless both parties are lying, that Mike was asked to stay on as HC, by Levy.

And Mike wasn't a dismal OC in Pittsburgh.