Mort just said a few interesting things

the pats plan to use the franchise tag on Cassel, that will mean they have about $29mil wrapped up in QBs.

also, the cap is supposed to jump to $123million.

that means we should have a lot of money to work with, even if we just go cash to cap.

i hope...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the pats plan to use the franchise tag on Cassel, that will mean they have about $29mil wrapped up in QBs.

that means we should have a lot of money to work with, even if we just go cash to cap.

i hope...

Ralph won't be foolish enough to spend money on players Jauron can't make highly productive.

i hope...

Having the money is one thing. Getting Ralph to spend it is another thing. The ability of this coaching staff to get the most out of any player that may be acquired is yet another story. But if anyone wants to continue to hope against hope, then go right ahead.

i hope...

The cap # is irrelevant. The only thing that matters is if the check Ralph receives from the NFL went up.

i hope...

Franchising Cassel was going to happen no matter what. Depending on the latest report by NBC, which indicated that Brady's rehab has been slower than expected, the Patriots will have to decide if they should deal the kid for picks or keep him because they think Brady may need more time to rehab.

Normally I would say that's great about the cap moving up but in our situation, it doesn't mean much. It seems very unlikely that the Bills would be willing to spend that much. I'd be ecstatic if they did, because that would mean they'd be doing everything in their power to build this team. But if this year is an indicator, where we were nearly 20 million under the cap, then I doubt the team will be spending that much.

i hope...

I bet some idiot gives NE a first rounder for Cassel too!

Having the money is one thing. Getting Ralph to spend it is another thing. The ability of this coaching staff to get the most out of any player that may be acquired is yet another story. But if anyone wants to continue to hope against hope, then go right ahead.

he has shown that he will spend it, they have signed FAs every offseason. recently sinking a lot of money into the offensive and defensive lines (i used the word "sinking" as both a verb and an adjective there :D). the players may not have all panned out, but the team has shown that it WILL spend. even if they wont use all of the available cap.

i hope...

NFL teams, per the CBA, must spend 84% of the salary cap of 123M or, 103.3M

Salary Cap Minimum

I could see the Bills having 25M entering the offseason, not including cuts. It's one thing to have money (as all NFL teams have had in recent years) but finding the right players to fit your system. No sense in spending for the sake of spending. And with RW aboard, I don't see it happening. They'll be right at the bottom of the NFL salary scale.

I bet some idiot gives NE a first rounder for Cassel too!

Possibly. But I don't see the attraction with this kid. He scored 23 TD's (21 passing and 2 rushing) and had 15 turnovers (11 INT's and 4 lost fumbles). Those aren't impressive stats at all. And he had Moss, Welker, and Faulk to throw to and amassed most of his yards and TD's against pass defenses in the bottom third of the league. Plus he was sacked 47 times behind one of the best O-lines in the NFL, which is a concern from an injury and fumbling aspect. Then to top it off, after being franchised, he'll probably be looking for a $10m/year deal with a huge signing bonus, and the team will have to give up a 1st rounder.

Not worth it. Not even close.

NFL teams, per the CBA, must spend 84% of the salary cap of 123M or, 103.3M

Salary Cap Minimum

I could see the Bills having 25M entering the offseason, not including cuts. It's one thing to have money (as all NFL teams have had in recent years) but finding the right players to fit your system. No sense in spending for the sake of spending. And with RW aboard, I don't see it happening. They'll be right at the bottom of the NFL salary scale.

interesting. good info, thanks.

any idea what we are currently at, cap-wise?

he has shown that he will spend it, they have signed FAs every offseason. recently sinking a lot of money into the offensive and defensive lines (i used the word "sinking" as both a verb and an adjective there :D). the players may not have all panned out, but the team has shown that it WILL spend. even if they wont use all of the available cap.

Hypothetically, what would guys like Belichick, Fox, Gruden, Holmgren, Cowher, Shanahan, Fisher, Reid, (and on and on) get out of Dockery, Walker, and Peters? What about the team as a whole? I guarantee that if any of those guys were in their 3rd year here, we would be watching (perhaps hosting) a playoff game this weekend. Instead we are stuck with Mopey Dick. A nice guy who pampers his players and doesn't hold them accountable for underachieving. Now the players get the message, straight from the owner, that he is o.k. with the status quo. How is a rational person to believe that this team has any chance of improving?

Hypothetically, what would guys like Belichick, Fox, Gruden, Holmgren, Cowher, Shanahan, Fisher, Reid, (and on and on) get out of Dockery, Walker, and Peters? What about the team as a whole? I guarantee that if any of those guys were in their 3rd year here, we would be watching (perhaps hosting) a playoff game this weekend. Instead we are stuck with Mopey Dick. A nice guy who pampers his players and doesn't hold them accountable for underachieving. Now the players get the message, straight from the owner, that he is o.k. with the status quo. How is a rational person to believe that this team has any chance of improving?

we're not rational. we're fans (short for: fanatic)

interesting. good info, thanks.

any idea what we are currently at, cap-wise?

I'll leave that for clump, but with guys like Losman, McCargo, Crowell, and a few others coming off the roster, I'm sure they'll have be around 20-25M beneath the camp. I'd venture to say they'll re-sign Fred Jackson and Terrence McGee before signing UFA's.

I'll leave that for clump, but with guys like Losman, McCargo, Crowell, and a few others coming off the roster, I'm sure they'll have be around 20-25M beneath the camp. I'd venture to say they'll re-sign Fred Jackson and Terrence McGee before signing UFA's.

Did you mean Greer? He's an UFA, not McGee. Maybe an extension for McGee.

i thought that we were already something like $15million under this years cap. id like to see them lock up Jackson and Greer (i think you meant Greer there?).

well, we definitely have the money to vastly improve this team. again, we'll see.

i hope...

Interesting dilemma for the Cheatriots. Brady's recovery is supposedly falling behind schedule. My hunch is that they pay attention to his progress. If he is going to return for the season one of them gets traded for a boatload of draft picks (yes, they may even trade Brady in my opinion). They suckered the Bills into it with Bledsoe. I think the cap hit is only temporary for them - one season at the most.

Cash to the cap is not necessarily horrible. I like the fact we are not carrrying a bunch of dead cap expense that is tied up in bonus payments to players not even on our roster. My personal guess is that we make a hard run in FA at the following (in order):

Center

Tight End

Wide Receiver

Linebacker

Yes I have specifically left DE off this list as I believe the market for them gets too costly too quickly. Hope we can draft a stud.

I also think they make a hard run at re-signing Greer though he may get priced beyond his value. McKelvin is coming on and Corner showed promise. Yoboughty also looked very good but the poor guy appears to be hexed.

They must also give Peters his due and insist that he starts the season better prepared. I did not support his holdout but the Bills are shorting him relative to the market for LT's.

Possibly. But I don't see the attraction with this kid. He scored 23 TD's (21 passing and 2 rushing) and had 15 turnovers (11 INT's and 4 lost fumbles). Those aren't impressive stats at all. And he had Moss, Welker, and Faulk to throw to and amassed most of his yards and TD's against pass defenses in the bottom third of the league. Plus he was sacked 47 times behind one of the best O-lines in the NFL, which is a concern from an injury and fumbling aspect. Then to top it off, after being franchised, he'll probably be looking for a $10m/year deal with a huge signing bonus, and the team will have to give up a 1st rounder.

Not worth it. Not even close.

The other stats I'd be really interested in seeing with Cassel is how many passes he attempted over 15 yards downfield and how many of "his" yards were from YAC. From what I saw his dinking and dunking made Trent look like Mr. Rocket Arm. The few times I saw him try to air it out, he was 10 yards off his target. No way I'd give more than a 3 for him personally. That said, I have to give him and BB credit, as from the Pats* pre-season he looked absolutely atrocious, so he stepped up his game incredibly during the season.