All-Pro Jason Peters is a joke

zonabb

Who you gonna replace him with? Its not like the Bills have been drafting plenty of depth for the O-line for the last couple of years.

Also, if he's so overrated, who voted him to the Pro-Bowl?

I've been a Jason Peters advocate simply because I think its the best option for the Bills. I'm not one to ignore facts, so we'll see where this years negotiation goes.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

How I feel about the Peters situation is pretty obvious by my signature, but if they plan on keeping him, the extension needs to get done before the offseason conditioning programs. Should he be here the entire offseason, I guarentee there won't be a peep about trading the guy. In person, the dude's probably an a**hole, but has the talent to be better than Will Wolford. Should he be here in top condition, overrated will be a word that isn't used anymore either.

Why do you have such a hard on for Jason Peters? He played horrible most of the year. The guy is not a leader in the slightest. He held out until right before the first game of the season. You want a guy like that setting the pay scale for your team? I think not. He has a tremendously overinflated opinion of himself. He is not overly physical, and he is slow in pass protection when dropping back against speed rushers. (SEE JOEY PORTER) Sure he doesn't get bull rushed, but he isn't nearly as good as you and many others on this board who have drinken his KOOL AID would like to believe.

The Bills should make him a decent offer, but not anything outrageous. If he threatens to stay away again from offseason camps, than definitely try to trade him before the draft. Demetrius Bell will get his chance than to start. I bet you he is better than Peters in the long run. The Peters situation set the tone for this past season, and that was a BAD TONE.

Love the paranoia but....

Why couldn't that be accomplished far more effectively by voting for some other LT, such as one who is actually a free agent this year as opposed to a guy who can only hold out?

a top flight free agent LT is going to get his money so if you can get an existing contract torn up and get a raise for that player then franchise tags and future players at that position only get more due to the aggregate at the position

Peters to the Pro Bowl is a joke but getting rid of him is a terrible idea. He's the best lineman on the team and O-lines get better the longer they play together. Given that, I'd only want to get rid of 2 lineman (or at least drop them to backups): Dockery and Preston/Fowler. I could live with Butler, Peters, and Walker + 2 new faces.

Who you gonna replace him with? Its not like the Bills have been drafting plenty of depth for the O-line for the last couple of years.

Also, if he's so overrated, who voted him to the Pro-Bowl?

I've been a Jason Peters advocate simply because I think its the best option for the Bills. I'm not one to ignore facts, so we'll see where this years negotiation goes.

the way i feel about peters can only be answered by the crystal ball. if you give him the money will he come in and be dominant? i know money is a motivator but that whiff on the j.p. fumble in the jets game to me has nothing to do with money unless he is taking passive aggressive to a new level. it would be nice to see players play for pride no matter how much money they make. yeah yeah i know that was long ago.

peters has gone from bust out player to inflated and will be like stroud when he goes to another team should that occur and say he was disrespected, play with a chip on his shoulder for awhile and then take a play off when he likes. paying players too much up front takes away the incentive for improvement. it happens way too much, especially when it comes to rookies. look at the number of first round busts that litter the landscape and not just from the Bills.

From Rotoworld:

Buffalo's Jason Peters gave up more sacks than any starting left tackle in the league in 2008.

His 11.5 sacks allowed came in only 13 games because he missed three with various injuries after a training camp holdout. He was even worse than fellow turnstile LTs Jeff Backus, Khalif Barnes, Kwame Harris, Max Starks, and Levi Jones. Peters has very little leverage if he still wants that raise.

There were radio and media honks last week saying he's played well this year. When? Guy was a joke and if this doesn't solidfy the argument that he can go pound salt, nothing does. These numbers are not Pro Bowl numbers. Don't think for one minute the NFLPA wouldn't collude in a vote to get this guy a Pro Bowl to increase his salary, thereby increasing the salaries of all LTs. Follow the money....

And the QB matters little. A true manh-handling LT gives up few sacks no matter who the QB is. I'd like to see the penalty numbers too.

He's such a joke that if the Bills put him on the trade block there'd be about 10 teams that would be interested in acquiring him. He had a down year, fine. He wants a new contract...who doesn't?

Fact is, his fellow NFL players and coaches voted him (as a starter) to 2 straight pro bowls, so obviously the guys on the field (even the ones outside of the Bills organization) think he's pretty good.

I understand that it's his turn to be the high-profile athlete in Buffalo that the fans want to run out of town, but unless you have a plan to replace him that doesn't involve Kirk Chambers (who by the way gave up 2 sacks in his only 3 plays against Joey Porter in Toronto), it doesn't make any sense.

Bell being better than Peters in the long run is the most laughable thing I have ever heard. Bell is a career backup at best. While Peters did let in some untimely sacks this year, he was dominant on 98% of the other plays. Peters being a selfish a**hole doesn't mean he isn't the best option for the Bills at LT by FAR.

All this talk about getting rid of Peters is BS

a good LT is hard to find ,A Pro bowl tackle twice as hard

He earned the right to go to the Pro bowl last year. So what if he got in this year, we all know its a popularity contest but he won.

somebody from other teams think he is good enough to go.

Now , like it or not, the Bills have to make him an offer because he has leverage.

Now he can and most likely holdout again.

I would offer him a nice deal but the Bills would have to come down on Dockerys pay to do it.

Dockery is not worth 7 million

Jason Peters is a better player than Dockery and thats the reason and a good one to hold out.

I think if they offered him 8 million now and told him to come to training camp on time he would take it.

Your LT should be the highest paid lineman and Jason knows this.

Bills are in a messed up spot for sure

so this is Brandon's strategy to counter-act the Big Dick disaster.

divert attention by orchestrating a vicious smear campaign against the team's best player.

By swallowing this propaganda hook, line and sinker - Bills fans justify the ineptness that Ralph keeps handing out

Even in a down year, Peters is light years better than the $50 mil slug he plays next to - but it is Peters who gets the crap because he was dedicated enough to develop from an undrafted walkon to a Pro Bowl (without the huge upfront payday)

Only in Buffalo are the fans so ignorant.

so this is Brandon's strategy to counter-act the Big Dick disaster.

divert attention by orchestrating a vicious smear campaign against the team's best player.

By swallowing this propaganda hook, line and sinker - Bills fans justify the ineptness that Ralph keeps handing out

Even in a down year, Peters is light years better than the $50 mil slug he plays next to - but it is Peters who gets the crap because he was dedicated enough to develop from an undrafted walkon to a Pro Bowl (without the huge upfront payday)

Only in Buffalo are the fans so ignorant.

I wish people would stop saying the "team's best player". It is hyperbole and it just isn't true.

Although I do want to keep him, I would like to see him finish a season for once.

I agree that Peters had a down year but he had a stellar year before that. I just can't believe his talent disappeared overnight. Even after the first few games, he did not perform well which indicates (1) his injury was still bothering him and/or (2) he was not motivated enough to play to the level he can. If (1) is true, it needs to be determined if he will ever rise back to his 2007 level. If the team thinks not, he should be traded when his value is high due to the ProBowl nod. If it is (2), the coaches better do what they were doing in 2007.

My personal feeling is that this was a uncharacteristic down year for him and he will return to his dominating form next year. At this point, the Bills do have leverage due to his lower performance and would be a good time to extend him (after assessing his health ofcourse). We cannot simply chase away key OL players who we do not consider probowl caliber. Ruben Brown is one example we got rid off and who proceeded to have a decent career with Chicago.

I say, assess his health and if healthy give him a decent contract. Then go ahead and get a real C and RG.

You keep him for another year. Peters and his agent both know this is his year to make the dough. Dont think you will see a hold out this season. Bills will wait to see if the Bell kid they drafted last year is developing, and thus could make Peters expendable at the end of next year for a trade. Either way all parties are happy. Bills get another year out of him playing for a contract and Peters will get Paid!

You keep him for another year. Peters and his agent both know this is his year to make the dough. Dont think you will see a hold out this season. Bills will wait to see if the Bell kid they drafted last year is developing, and thus could make Peters expendable at the end of next year for a trade. Either way all parties are happy. Bills get another year out of him playing for a contract and Peters will get Paid!

it's amazing how you guys pick on peters when we have a quarterback who can't throw a pass more than 5 yards, a bunch of lineman who makes more than he does, a middle lb who can't tackle, and 2 defensive ends who would be journeyman backups on any other team

I wish people would stop saying the "team's best player". It is hyperbole and it just isn't true.

Although I do want to keep him, I would like to see him finish a season for once.

Hyperbole? OK, if it is obvious extreme exaggeration, then you should be able to list, oh, 20 to 30 Buffalo Bills that are better than Jason Peters at their positions off the top of your head.

(The 11.5 sacks is, obviously, not a good looking stat. On the other hand, some of that can be attributed to bad scheme and bad adjustments; i.e., bad coaching. For example, on the infamous Jets sack, fumble, TD play, Turk Schonert explained that it wasn't Jason Peters assignment in the first place.)

Hyperbole? OK, if it is obvious extreme exaggeration, then you should be able to list, oh, 20 to 30 Buffalo Bills that are better than Jason Peters at their positions off the top of your head.

I can't come up with 20 or 30 that are better at their position, but I can come up with 20 or 30 that are equally as average.

I can't come up with 20 or 30 that are better at their position, but I can come up with 20 or 30 that are equally as average.

you're right, get rid of him and bring in some overpaid idiot with high character and a good motor, that's been working out so well. they should have renegotiated last offseason and avoided this problem in the first place.

it's amazing how you guys pick on peters when we have a quarterback who can't throw a pass more than 5 yards, a bunch of lineman who makes more than he does, a middle lb who can't tackle, and 2 defensive ends who would be journeyman backups on any other team

it's all part of the Brandon plan to assassinate Peter's thru the media and message boards.

Fans bought his crap last year, this year he's starting early.

If Brandon was a real GM, he would have had a meeting with Peters before he left town to address the contract situation since he promised Peters a new deal in 2008.

Here is an example of hyperbole. "The Buffalo Bills are the best run franchise in football, and because they unquestionably have the best scouting department in the NFL, make shrewd moves in free agency that always pay dividends, and have innovative, proven coaching that's won everywhere it has ever been, the Bills are clearly the unanimous early favorite to win the Super Bowl next year."

Your opinion that Jason Peters is just another average talent doesn't mean that other reasonable fans can't disagree and think he is the team's premier talent at his position.

This discussion reminds me of when Pat Williams was sent packing by Donahoe and fans were applauding that move because Williams was done, average, overrated and easily replaced.

We pick on them too.

Bell being better than Peters in the long run is the most laughable thing I have ever heard. Bell is a career backup at best. While Peters did let in some untimely sacks this year, he was dominant on 98% of the other plays. Peters being a selfish a**hole doesn't mean he isn't the best option for the Bills at LT by FAR.

Why is it laughable? Peters was a project too.