Chase Coffman for TE. 2nd or 3rd round.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The ability to catch a pass is part of athleticism.

I'd call that hand-eye coordination...and maybe hand size advantages. Mostly though, it is focus/concentration...which is not "athleticism", IMO. But, beyond that is drive, commitment, intelligence (helps in any position), attitude, etc.

Gresham will be the far superior NFL TE to Coffman. He's more gifted athletically, has great hands and will fit the pro-style attack better than Coffman.

That said, I don't think the Bills should use the 11th pick on him -- but if they did I wouldn't be crying (too loudly).

That said, I don't think the Bills should use the 11th pick on him -- but if they did I wouldn't be crying (too loudly).

Same here. I'd rather see a pass-rusher in Round 1 (Everette Brown, Rey Maualuga, Aaron Maybin). But since the TE position has been horribly overlooked, I won't be upset with him.

Gresham will be the far superior NFL TE to Coffman. He's more gifted athletically, has great hands and will fit the pro-style attack better than Coffman.

Nor would I.

It's been a chronic passing league for some time. It's time to give picking a TE a shot. What's to lose after so many years of not playing in January?

Nuthin! :devil:

Nor would I.

It's been a chronic passing league for some time. It's time to give picking a TE a shot. What's to lose after so many years of not playing in January?

Nuthin! :devil:

The only thing the Bills really have to lose from picking Jermaine Gresham at the #11 spot is Robert Royal. I can live with that.

On the other hand, we see all of these complaints about taking a TE high and how its a 'luxury' pick, but here's the question I have: How the hell does anyone know that? The Bills haven't had a halfway decent TE on this roster in so long that we don't really know just how much impact a guy like Gresham or another top quality TE might have. It might make a *big* difference.

The one guarantee I can make is that if the Bills never try, we'll never find out.

The only thing I have seen that makes me think Gresham is more athletic than Coffman would be his straight line speed. Other than that, Coffman looks every bit as good. Neither one blocks very much, but I remeber seeing Coffman block well last year when Mizzou ran more two TE sets.

No one has mentioned Pettigrew however. He is not as dynamic a pass catcher, but a much better blocker. If you want a complete TE, it is him. Blocks with the best of them, without a let down in pass catching ability. But at the end of the day, Ill take any of the three in the 2nd round. I have to think one of them will last till the second round, if not at our pick, then trade up ala Poz to grab one of them.

Also, does anyone feel that Chase Daniels would be a great pick in the late rounds? He has a great arm, can make reads, and is a great scrambler. The only knack on him is his height. Well, Drew Brees is short too, and he was just 16 yards short of throwing for the most yards in NFL history this past season. Take him in the 5th-7th, with no plan on playing him. If he developes you can use him as trade bait, like a Schaubb or Hasselback. If Trent tanks, maybe we will use him, its a low risk high reward scenario from my perspective.

He might turn out to be the better TE but I doubt he'll be far Superior to Coffman.....see Dustin Keller vs John Carlson.

The only thing I have seen that makes me think Gresham is more athletic than Coffman would be his straight line speed. Other than that, Coffman looks every bit as good. Neither one blocks very much, but I remeber seeing Coffman block well last year when Mizzou ran more two TE sets.

No one has mentioned Pettigrew however. He is not as dynamic a pass catcher, but a much better blocker. If you want a complete TE, it is him. Blocks with the best of them, without a let down in pass catching ability. But at the end of the day, Ill take any of the three in the 2nd round. I have to think one of them will last till the second round, if not at our pick, then trade up ala Poz to grab one of them.

Also, does anyone feel that Chase Daniels would be a great pick in the late rounds? He has a great arm, can make reads, and is a great scrambler. The only knack on him is his height. Well, Drew Brees is short too, and he was just 16 yards short of throwing for the most yards in NFL history this past season. Take him in the 5th-7th, with no plan on playing him. If he developes you can use him as trade bait, like a Schaubb or Hasselback. If Trent tanks, maybe we will use him, its a low risk high reward scenario from my perspective.

I'd take Chase Daniel late on Day 2 if he's there but he does not have a "great arm", its adequate and extremely accurate. Chase really hurt his stock down the stretch this year, he didn't play great but take it from somebody who has seen every start of his..........he will be on an NFL roster for a few years. He's a gamer.

Also I agree with you about all three TEs whoever is still around in Rd 2 will be cool with me.

Guys on this board, Bag too much on Vernon Davis- Does he suck for a 6th overall pick, yes!!! but that's on SF's front office- Just like I don't blame Whitner I blame the Bills for taking him with the 8th overall- Davis is just 24 and a much better blocker than Royal, I'd have no problem giving a 3rd rounder for him.

Guys on this board, Bag too much on Vernon Davis- Does he suck for a 6th overall pick, yes!!! but that's on SF's front office- Just like I don't blame Whitner I blame the Bills for taking him with the 8th overall- Davis is just 24 and a much better blocker than Royal, I'd have no problem giving a 3rd rounder for him.

I think Davis may become a star, in this league. I'd love it if the Bills acquired him without giving up too much.

I just used him as an example of a guy with the most talent who is not the best player at his position...at least not yet. And, I wasn't supporting Chase over Jermaine, either. Either would be fine, by me. There seem to be a few other excellent TE candidates, as well.

I'd call that hand-eye coordination...and maybe hand size advantages. Mostly though, it is focus/concentration...which is not "athleticism", IMO. But, beyond that is drive, commitment, intelligence (helps in any position), attitude, etc.

I'd say that if you can't catch a pass, you aint athletic. :devil:

St. Louie... I guess a great arm to me is adequate Arm strength and great accuracy, not a cannon arm with quesionable accuracy (see Losman). But yes, I agree with what you say.

I also like how Coffman has made an impact every year he has been in college. Freshman All American, All American this year... He can make an impact right away.

I think Davis may become a star, in this league. I'd love it if the Bills acquired him without giving up too much.

I just used him as an example of a guy with the most talent who is not the best player at his position...at least not yet. And, I wasn't supporting Chase over Jermaine, either. Either would be fine, by me. There seem to be a few other excellent TE candidates, as well.

Davis has a poor work ethic and runs poor routes...he needs lots of work...