RW's biggest screw ups

SoulMan

Feel free to use the terms "Tom Donohoe", "benching Flutie" and "Bill Polian" liberally.

Letting Polian, the most successful small market GM of recent memory, walk whatever the reason has to take the cake. Thus proving that a loser like Ralph doesn't know how to handle success when he luckily stumbles upon it.

Feel free to use the terms "Tom Donohoe", "benching Flutie" and "Bill Polian" liberally.

I've been a loyal Bills fan since the mid 60's (yes, I'm old). I've been on this and other boards almost non-stop over the past few days, and I strongly believe that, this time, Ralph has done something that would have previously been considered nearly impossible: He has finally, and abruptly, crushed the bond that many had w/ this team. I know this sounds overly dramatic, but this almost unbelievable thumbing of his nose at his long suffering fans has produced a desperate resignation that many of us thought impossible. To have this tin-eared owner not only tell us all that mediocrity is OK, but that "it wasn't a hard decision for him AT ALL", is so galling and arrogant that I really believe he has broken the trust, or the ever important HOPE, that we fans needed to keep on pouring our emotions into this operation. I liken it to a long time relationship that you knew was dysfunctional, but you tolerated the other person b/c there was more good than bad. Well, Ralph just kicked that relationship in the stomach, and many are now realizing, with stunning clarity and sadness, that there is now more bad than good. Most of us will remain fans, but from a distance, and w/ out the passion that used to make it fun/hard/painful/rewarding. Ralph has turned on his heel and walked out the door on his adoring Bills fan base...

On a side note, what's it gonna take to get his name off the stadium? Even if the county can only get $10,000 per year in naming rights, I really don't think Ralph deserves a stadium named after him. He's all about the bottom line and the county/state should be too. We can't force him to sell the team, but this seems like something that is fully in the power of the tax-paying fanbase.

I've been a loyal Bills fan since the mid 60's (yes, I'm old). I've been on this and other boards almost non-stop over the past few days, and I strongly believe that, this time, Ralph has done something that would have previously been considered nearly impossible: He has finally, and abruptly, crushed the bond that many had w/ this team. I know this sounds overly dramatic, but this almost unbelievable thumbing of his nose at his long suffering fans has produced a desperate resignation that many of us thought impossible. To have this tin-eared owner not only tell us all that mediocrity is OK, but that "it wasn't a hard decision for him AT ALL", is so galling and arrogant that I really believe he has broken the trust, or the ever important HOPE, that we fans needed to keep on pouring our emotions into this operation. I liken it to a long time relationship that you knew was dysfunctional, but you tolerated the other person b/c there was more good than bad. Well, Ralph just kicked that relationship in the stomach, and many are now realizing, with stunning clarity and sadness, that there is now more bad than good. Most of us will remain fans, but from a distance, and w/ out the passion that used to make it fun/hard/painful/rewarding. Ralph has turned on his heel and walked out the door on his adoring Bills fan base...

Well said, this pretty much sums it up

Sadly this post says it all. Case in point, I chuckled when JP and DJ gave away the Jet game. Just sort of fit where we were at. As a fan since 1970, there was a time I would have screamed and let that play ruin my week. After giving away the Dallas game on Monday night football last year, I have never had the same passion with this group of losers running the show. Football is a tough, violant game that should be played to win not the DJ style of playing dumb, loser football.

TD was a failure but hard to call it a Ralph mistake. When TD was hired he had the best resume of anyone out there. When Ralph hired TD he was doing what everyone wishes he would do now, proceed according to conventional wisdom, hire the name football guy with a track record, hand over the entire operation to the football guy.

Excellent post.

The decision to retain DJ is emblematic of where this franchise is going. I have to believe there was always a light at the end of the tunnel until this week. Whether it was during the late 60s when OJ came. Or when Saban returned and got the team to the playoffs in 74. Or hiring Knox before 1980. Or, my first experience when I was about 10 watching the team advance to the AFC Championship in 1988.

Wilson snuffed out the light at the end of the tunnel by saying it wasn't hard to keep DJ. With that, there is no way out of this for Buffalo fans, aside from finding another team. Hoping this team gets better with the same retreads is non-sensical.

For me, firing Polian in 93 was bad enough. But the fact that bean counter Littman and Bogdan had a hand in it makes the decision even more infuriating.

Sadly this post says it all. Case in point, I chuckled when JP and DJ gave away the Jet game. Just sort of fit where we were at. As a fan since 1970, there was a time I would have screamed and let that play ruin my week. After giving away the Dallas game on Monday night football last year, I have never had the same passion with this group of losers running the show. Football is a tough, violant game that should be played to win not the DJ style of playing dumb, loser football.

YUP.

This is one of the most salient posts I've seen in awhile. Ralph doesn't realize the damage he has done, because this time it is serious.

couldn't agree more. As a fan for 30 years, I feel exactly the way you described it. Really sad.....