Bills pick-in ten updated mock drafts

billybob

Peters' trade value is a 1st and a 3rd. It's pretty clear he's played his last down for the Bills and other teams know that.

Watch that Oklahoma TE. He is amazing. and he can block.

The silver lining of the Jauron extension might be that ownership (I refuse to name him) knows the fans are pissed and they're going to have to do something with this team to get 60,000 at home games next year. perhaps that means they'll be active in free agency and/or on draft day.

I agree!!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. I think Gresham will end up going in the top 15, should he declare himself eligible for the draft. If he does, I would very likely pick him, especially if they sign a decent C in FA. It would solve an enormous problem that has existed for years in this offense: their inability to threaten the middle of the field.

DE? Although I'm not sure that there's a truly great one available, there are probably 5 or 6 good pass rushers that will likely be available at the top of this draft. They can always trade up from the R2 spot if necessary. In any event, I'm not sure there's a nickel's worth of difference in this first group of DEs. Its a different story at TE this year.

Yeah there's no shoe in top defensive end in this draft. A good number of quality players though. If they could get one in the 2nd rd, and grab someone who can slip like Selvie, Shaughnessy, Larry English I could certinally live with going gresham in the first. As far as centers in free agency I cant see getting Birk or Saturday Jason Brown from the Ravens maybe. There are some good centers in the draft outside of Mack. We're not limited there.

Peters' trade value is a 1st and a 3rd. It's pretty clear he's played his last down for the Bills and other teams know that.

Watch that Oklahoma TE. He is amazing. and he can block.

The silver lining of the Jauron extension might be that ownership (I refuse to name him) knows the fans are pissed and they're going to have to do something with this team to get 60,000 at home games next year. perhaps that means they'll be active in free agency and/or on draft day.

to say Peters value is a 1st and 3rd is to say nothing - it could be just a 1st if the 1st is in the top 3 or it could be a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th if those picks are all in the bottom of their round.

You're forgetting that this also allows us to get one of the draft's best DE's as well, which is this team's top priority. Your plan would relegate that to FA (good luck with El Cheapo spending money on one of the most cash rich positions in football) or a 2nd round pick or later. No thanks--I'll take my chances with drafting a premier DE at 11 and giving up Roscoe or a 3 to move up to get Mack.

I hope that they don't waste a first round pick on a 255 pound defensive end. We already have a slew of them and they are tossed around in this stupid defense that we employ.

We need big strong DEs and DTs for a change.

I hope that they don't waste a first round pick on a 255 pound defensive end. We already have a slew of them and they are tossed around in this stupid defense that we employ.

Plenty of 255 lb defensive ends are good. The keyword being good. The ones we have just suck

do me a favor...guess how much Bruce Smith weighed

Yeah there's no shoe in top defensive end in this draft. A good number of quality players though. If they could get one in the 2nd rd, and grab someone who can slip like Selvie, Shaughnessy, Larry English I could certinally live with going gresham in the first. As far as centers in free agency I cant see getting Birk or Saturday Jason Brown from the Ravens maybe. There are some good centers in the draft outside of Mack. We're not limited there.

If it took a first round pick, I probably would not draft Alex Mack, anyway. This seems to be one of the better years for centers as of late, so I'd have no issue with waiting until R2 or possibly R3, depending upon how the draft played out. But just as with the TE and DE positions, they really need to find a good one this year, not just someone to fill a roster spot.

do me a favor...guess how much Bruce Smith weighed

first year around 300, next year played around 285, then got down to 275 which he played at for a number years, then he went down to 265 after hurting his knee which is where I think he ended his career.

It depends on who that 255lb DE is. If he develops into a player that posts 12+ sacks every year and consistently pressures the QB, I'm not going to complain much about his ability to defend the run.

Speaking of run defense, DT seems to get a lot less mention than DE, TE and C as a need. Kyle Williams is decent, but I think that's a position where we could easily see a surprise 1st or 2nd round pick in April.

we need immediate help at pass rush. Evertte Brown or Orakpo or Curry or Ray or whoever is much more valuable to us then alex mack. Rookie o-linemen, especially centers take a couple years to develop. I'd much rather sign a vet center for a couple years, and take a center in the mid rounds and develop him while we have a vet at center.

we need immediate help at pass rush. Evertte Brown or Orakpo or Curry or Ray or whoever is much more valuable to us then alex mack. Rookie o-linemen, especially centers take a couple years to develop. I'd much rather sign a vet center for a couple years, and take a center in the mid rounds and develop him while we have a vet at center.

DEs also take years to develop, in most cases. The 1st round rookie DE classes from 2008 and 2007 haven't done squat in the NFL up to this point. Chris Long and Gaines Adams have been decent, the rest pretty much abysmal.

DEs also take years to develop, in most cases. The 1st round rookie DE classes from 2008 and 2007 haven't done squat in the NFL up to this point. Chris Long and Gaines Adams have been decent, the rest pretty much abysmal.

This correct WRs and DEs seem to take the longest- QB use to be the longest but now they just throw them in, maybe cause they don't call their own plays- LBs and RBs usually develop the quickest

It depends on who that 255lb DE is. If he develops into a player that posts 12+ sacks every year and consistently pressures the QB, I'm not going to complain much about his ability to defend the run.

Speaking of run defense, DT seems to get a lot less mention than DE, TE and C as a need. Kyle Williams is decent, but I think that's a position where we could easily see a surprise 1st or 2nd round pick in April.

Agreed on both points.

I don't fully understand our defense. At times, it appears that the DEs are actually running away from the ball. :beer: The rest of the time they are simply bowled over. What they almost never seem to do is stand their ground, ala Phil Hansen.

I am all for another DT. Kyle Williams can make a play if he has the right angle, but he is far from dominant. He would be a perfect rotational player imo. Terrance Cody from Alabama has indicated that he wants to stay in school. He would be quite the interesting player. He could be anything from Leon Lett to a defensive version of Mike Williams at that size.

Aaron Curry OLB, Rey Manualuga ILB, and Michael Johnson DE were all picked twice- Greg Hardy DE, Brian Orakpo DE, Everett Brown OLB/DE and Jermaine Gresham TE all got one vote

if you consider Everett Brown both a OLB and a DE then the LB and DE picks were split 5 and 5

Jermaine Gresham going 11th to the Bills is the highest anyone has him going, most drafts have him going 22-28 and he's not in the first round twice.

Alex Mack is only in the first round twice both times going 30th to Pittsburgh

I've only seen two drafts and Mack is in the first in both.

A Jason Peters trade only makes sense if two things occur - you can man the LT position with someone who can at least hold their own- you'd have to think that Bell has the stuff or that you can get a reasonable player in FA - the second thing is you have to be able to get around equivalent value for him, which I rate as 2200 points on the NFL draft trade value chart- People on this board talks as if 1st round picks are equivalent- they are not - the first overall pick is worth more than the bottom 4 1st round picks put together - The teams that would make the most sense are Philly who holds their own pick and the Panthers 1st round pick, Philly's two starting OTs are both going into FA and are both in serious decline- the backup is Winston Justice who has been a disappointment to say the least- the other team is Detroit who desperately needs LT but who would like to use the first overall pick on a QB- they have Dallas's 1st and 3rd, I would want their Dallas 1st and 3rd and their own 2nd for Peters.

I agree with you that I think D. Bell has the tools to develop into something.......I just dont want to take that chance enough to get rid of Peters.

I think it is completely unecessary to trade Peters to improve the team....in fact I think it could greatly hurt it. Sign Peters to his contract and solidify the line.......draft a center in a draft where there are several good ones. bring in a versitile OL who can play several positions behind them for depth.

Indeed. This team has enough needs that trading down a little to pick up more picks won't hurt them. If they trade to 17-19 and don't get Mack, there are enough other needs that they can still pick up a player.

Wow! I cannot disagree strongly enough.

What are these "many" needs? More corners? Safties? LB because you won't be happy with Poz/Mitchell/Crowell/DiGi??

Another DT I suppose? Who's that going to be in round 2 - the next McCargo?

OT's because we're somehow going to upgrade over Peters/Walker with a low draft pick?

Guard depth - sure. Is that more important than getting a pass rusher when they have noone but an injured Schobel right now?

A WR who is going to be effective as a rookie? Not very common. I'll put my chips on Johnson and Hardy already on the roster along with Reed and Evans.

A TE? Sure - but there are FA vets who are safer bets. TE is a high-bust-frequency position early draft.

Rookie OL's aren't usually good right away EXCEPT for top Centers who frequently are ready to play right away. Or didn't anyone see New Jersey upgrade instantly with Mangold? The top Centers by the nature of the position are highly focused team leaders who are typically mature beyond their years. We want the best available to keep those stinking AFC East NT's out of our backfield, agreed?

Rookie DE's are often good - particularly if you grab a top one.

Most current boards (and yes - much will change after the combine) show three DE's standing out significantly above the rest. Everette Brown is the third on most lists, I was assuming the first two would be gone.

Anyway - this team doesn't need a pile of mediocre players - they need 2-3 studs. You get studs by trading UP NOT DOWN.

They get a stud DE, C, and TE this season they are instantly competitive. At #11 the studs are DE (and RB, DB which hopefully we agree they don't need). They don't have to give up much to get the clear consensus #1 Center (Mack). Why on earth shouldn't they get clear top players at two positions of need when it's easy to do?