Hating Ralph Wilson is like hating your mother or father

Kelly the Dog

If he only cared about money for himself, why would he not sell the team for 800 million dollars today and go spend some of it instead of leaving it ALL for his wife and kids?

Fear of change at the macro-level. Also, he doesn't want to be in the ditch with Art Modell (that said, Ralph also doesn't want to pick himself up from the very edge of the rim of the ditch).

Great post, but I'd say he's more like the owner of the one big corporation in a company town -- the city father, so to speak. People need the firm to do well for the town to survive (I"m speaking metaphorically here), so while they may not like Mr. Pullman/Mr. Potter/Mr. Burns much, they know he's the guy keeping the whole ship afloat. While they may B word and moan about him, they effectively fear him (and therefore show him respect). The problem is, very bad management along with a failure to plan for a changing economy (i.e., the Bills after his death) may leave the town with the equivalent of the Packard factory in Detroit. I'm one of those people who thinks the Bills won't move, but boy he's not making it easy.

The "It's a Wonderful Life" reference was exactly what I was going to post.

But let's be careful with the casting. George is the collective of Buffalo/Erie Co. & fans near and far. Ralph is more like Uncle Billy --- the one who does the the day-to-day stuff, counts the money, makes deposits, ties strings on his fingers and still forgets to do simple things that even a moron could keep track of. The business survives on the margins. He somehow managed to keep the ship halfway righted back in the day with a lot of help, but he's slipping with age, and now comes the time of crisis where a few actions doom everything and threaten to collapse a small-time money-shuffling enterprise.

The thing that IAWL doesn't show us is what happens to Uncle Billy after George is saved by the kindness of strangers and his community. Think Uncle Billy makes deposits anymore? I think not. Think George will ever remember him w/o the context of "the guy who almost drove me to suicide"? My guess is that Uncle Billy goes off to the old folks home.

I don't get the mentality of people who stand there and preach forgiveness while the stupidity is ongoing. Sure, it's Ralph's team, he can do what he wants with it, but that mere fact doesn't mean that he's automatically owed something. And that doesn't mean he's owed respect for his dottering and pinch-the-nickel decisions and for what he's allowed his business to become.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Fear of change at the macro-level. Also, he doesn't want to be in the ditch with Art Modell (that said, Ralph also doesn't want to pick himself up from the very edge of the rim of the ditch).

But let's be careful with the casting. George is the collective of Buffalo/Erie Co. & fans near and far. Ralph is more like Uncle Billy --- the one who does the the day-to-day stuff, counts the money, makes deposits, ties strings on his fingers and still forgets to do simple things that even a moron could keep track of. The business survives on the margins. He somehow managed to keep the ship halfway righted back in the day with a lot of help, but he's slipping with age, and now comes the time of crisis where a few actions doom everything and threaten to collapse a small-time money-shuffling enterprise.

The thing that IAWL doesn't show us is what happens to Uncle Billy after George is saved by the kindness of strangers and his community. Think Uncle Billy makes deposits anymore? I think not. Think George will ever remember him w/o the context of "the guy who almost drove me to suicide"? My guess is that Uncle Billy goes off to the old folks home.

I don't get the mentality of people who stand there and preach forgiveness while the stupidity is ongoing. Sure, it's Ralph's team, he can do what he wants with it, but that mere fact doesn't mean that he's automatically owed something. And that doesn't mean he's owed respect for his dottering and pinch-the-nickel decisions and for what he's allowed his business to become.

Nice.

I don't hate the man or wish he was dead. It's kind of sad that people take this situation to that extreme.

However, it doesn't make Ralph Wilson immune from reasonable criticism for how he has run his franchise. (Note: reasonable) He doesn't have a football man as a GM, and his head coach has failed to produce a winning season 3 years in a row yet rewards him with a contract extension. This is an extremely questionable way to run a franchise for someone committed to putting a winning team on the field.

Bills fans pay for the product on the field with their ticket money, merchandise purchasing, etc. If the product is substandard, Mr. Wilson will continue to be criticized, or he will simply drive away fans who get tired of paying for a mediocre product.

Granted, some morons hide behind the anonymity of the keyboard and write things they wouldn't think of saying in person. But you have to look at the reasons why they are venting such anger and bitterness. It doesn't happen in a vacuum.

The "I'm done" people are not only pathetic, but liars. The "I hope he dies" people are worse.

Ralph Wilson is old, and (very) misguided, and stubborn, and that's it. He loves the Bills at least as much and likely more than you do. Without him, Buffalo simply does not have a team. It's almost inarguable. If he really was only about money, he could have sold or moved the team for WAY more of it. He probably could tomorrow if he wanted to.

The fact is, he's like your parent. He brought you into this world as a Bills fan. He was responsible for that. He kept the roof over your head for about 50 years. He, almost alone, was responsible for that. And whatever else he does, he deserves that respect. Even your love and admiration, like you would for a parent.

Unless, of course, your parent did something criminal to you, and deserves your hatred. Which Ralph didn't and has never come close to.

All he did was be misguided, erratic, contradictory, and make a long storied string of bad personnel decisions while running his business. That's it.

I hate the Jauron move. I didn't like it from day one, although I gave him a few benefits of the doubt. The problem IS at the top, meaning Ralph. It's unconscionable that he will pay Derrick Dockery 7 million a year but won't pay a good coach, who is twice as important to his team and success, half that.

But that's just Ralph being dumb. He isn't even all that cheap, he's just erratic, misguided and stubborn. And he's been that way since day one.

But he's your football dad and mom. You're going to have huge disagreements over the years with him. He's messed with the family business and he's kept it from becoming a major success like the neighbor's business down the street by some unbelievably boneheaded managerial moves, that's for sure. But he's kept it moving, he's kept it in town, and he's responsible for pretty much the most important things in your (football) life: The team, the town, the colors, the dream.

He may be the most misguided owner in the entire league. And he's getting older and more ornery and making even less sense than he did before.

In fact, as I said before, the smartest thing he has said in several years is "I don't understand it" about the CBA.

But he's still your dad. And you don't want him to move. And he's kept the family and family business intact, despite his repeated, ill-advised, misguided blunders.

He's owed your respect not your hatred.

Outstanding post. To think that Ralph "doesn't want to win" or that he couldn't cash in and haul millions by moving the team is just wrong. He is simply old school: this is HIS team, and he enjoys the meddling and the "being involved" part of it, a lot. Hence the inability of others (Polian, Chuck Knox, Butler, AJ Smith, even Marv this last time) to tolerate him. He WANTS TO BE INVOLVED. Unfortunately, his football smarts are right up there w/ the Brown family in Cinci and the Fords in Detroit. But the point is, w/out Ralph, there are no Buffalo Bills. Period. So we do owe him. Has he enriched himself at our expense? Yea buddy, a ton. Could he make more elsewhere? Yea buddy. I say enjoy the Bills while we can, 'cuz the fuse is lit....

Everyone is welcome to their own opinion. Mine is, you can still berate the decision(s), you can still berate the man (Ralph), you can be pissed to all hell and throw little tantrums and be envious of the next door neighbors and people in the bigger house down the block. That's fine, and it's warranted. The same way you can argue with your dad, and think he's a moron, and cheap bastard and hate some of the decisions he made that directly affect your life and happiness.

But he's still your dad and he is owed something, always owed something, for bringing you into the world, and providing for you, unless he does something so heinous that he no longer deserves it.

That doesn't mean he's always right. In fact he may be nearly always wrong. It doesn't mean you always support his decisions. It doesn't mean there aren't a lot of times he's a moron or even deserves to be smacked in the nose, although you'd never do it. It just means he's not a smart man, but he's your dad. Without him you wouldn't be on this earth (as a Bills fan). Wouldn't be the person you are (a Bills fan).

If you want to divorce your dad and give up on your family for good because they're old and stupid, that's your choice.

Everyone is welcome to their own opinion. Mine is, you can still berate the decision(s), you can still berate the man (Ralph), you can be pissed to all hell and throw little tantrums and be envious of the next door neighbors and people in the bigger house down the block. That's fine, and it's warranted. The same way you can argue with your dad, and think he's a moron, and cheap bastard and hate some of the decisions he made that directly affect your life and happiness.

But he's still your dad and he is owed something, always owed something, for bringing you into the world, and providing for you, unless he does something so heinous that he no longer deserves it.

That doesn't mean he's always right. In fact he may be nearly always wrong. It doesn't mean you always support his decisions. It doesn't mean there aren't a lot of times he's a moron or even deserves to be smacked in the nose, although you'd never do it. It just means he's not a smart man, but he's your dad. Without him you wouldn't be on this earth (as a Bills fan). Wouldn't be the person you are (a Bills fan).

If you want to divorce your dad and give up on your family for good because they're old and stupid, that's your choice.

I really don't understand your analogy, did you have to pay your parents to be your parents?

I really don't understand your analogy, did you have to pay your parents to be your parents?

True enough. More like a state-funded foster parent who keeps you in the basement, feeds you Quaker Oats at every meal and hires from among Michael Jackson, Lemony Snicket's Count Olaf, and Louise Woodward as governesses.

Of course, been payin' for it every day.

Lmao good answer, I will admit I'm kind of shocked and disappointed, however this season has taught me two things one is this is just a game and I'm not taking it as seriously. The other thing I've learned is that its ok to enjoy other teams as well. I can't believe I'm saying this but I actually hope the Dolphins do well in the playoffs. It is truly a great story from a one win season to a division winner by a team who is led by a man who in a way is our father as well. After all Parcells did spank us like his children back in #25 didnt he?

The "I'm done" people are not only pathetic, but liars. The "I hope he dies" people are worse.

Ralph Wilson is old, and (very) misguided, and stubborn, and that's it. He loves the Bills at least as much and likely more than you do. Without him, Buffalo simply does not have a team. It's almost inarguable. If he really was only about money, he could have sold or moved the team for WAY more of it. He probably could tomorrow if he wanted to.

The fact is, he's like your parent. He brought you into this world as a Bills fan. He was responsible for that. He kept the roof over your head for about 50 years. He, almost alone, was responsible for that. And whatever else he does, he deserves that respect. Even your love and admiration, like you would for a parent.

Unless, of course, your parent did something criminal to you, and deserves your hatred. Which Ralph didn't and has never come close to.

All he did was be misguided, erratic, contradictory, and make a long storied string of bad personnel decisions while running his business. That's it.

I hate the Jauron move. I didn't like it from day one, although I gave him a few benefits of the doubt. The problem IS at the top, meaning Ralph. It's unconscionable that he will pay Derrick Dockery 7 million a year but won't pay a good coach, who is twice as important to his team and success, half that.

But that's just Ralph being dumb. He isn't even all that cheap, he's just erratic, misguided and stubborn. And he's been that way since day one.

But he's your football dad and mom. You're going to have huge disagreements over the years with him. He's messed with the family business and he's kept it from becoming a major success like the neighbor's business down the street by some unbelievably boneheaded managerial moves, that's for sure. But he's kept it moving, he's kept it in town, and he's responsible for pretty much the most important things in your (football) life: The team, the town, the colors, the dream.

He may be the most misguided owner in the entire league. And he's getting older and more ornery and making even less sense than he did before.

In fact, as I said before, the smartest thing he has said in several years is "I don't understand it" about the CBA.

But he's still your dad. And you don't want him to move. And he's kept the family and family business intact, despite his repeated, ill-advised, misguided blunders.

I don’t normally post, but your great post hit home with me and I just had to say something. A few years ago I got to know completely by accident a member of Wilson’s extended family. No I don’t claim to have any insight into the Bills or anything like that. This person did have great stories about OJ, Chuck Knox and the like.

What I found amazing is that what I thought was the product of Wilson getting old and perhaps a little senile was not the case at all. Wilson has always been like this and not just with regard to the Bills. Wilson can be unbelievably cheap and mean to people he has known and who have loved him for years. The thing is that Wilson does not even know what he is doing is so harmful; he just does not understand what he is doing is so bad. According to my friend this has happened over and over again in Wilson’s life and nothing you can do or say will make him change.

True enough. More like a state-funded foster parent who keeps you in the basement, feeds you Quaker Oats at every meal and hires from among Michael Jackson, Lemony Snicket's Count Olaf, and Louise Woodward as governesses.

Very well put UConn

If your dad is like Ralph Wilson, then he's a doddering nincompoop who basically lucked into a ton of money. Go ahead and respect that. I'll choose to live in reality.

That's great!

I don’t normally post, but your great post hit home with me and I just had to say something. A few years ago I got to know completely by accident a member of Wilson’s extended family. No I don’t claim to have any insight into the Bills or anything like that. This person did have great stories about OJ, Chuck Knox and the like.

What I found amazing is that what I thought was the product of Wilson getting old and perhaps a little senile was not the case at all. Wilson has always been like this and not just with regard to the Bills. Wilson can be unbelievably cheap and mean to people he has known and who have loved him for years. The thing is that Wilson does not even know what he is doing is so harmful; he just does not understand what he is doing is so bad. According to my friend this has happened over and over again in Wilson’s life and nothing you can do or say will make him change.

My older brother, who paid for college in the late 60s by working as a entry-level research peon in the sports section at the Courier Express, has been telling me this about Wilson for, oh, 30 years. He has always told me that Wilson, whom he regarded as a petulant, spoiled rich kid who was handed his dad's successful insurance business, could never change his spots.

My older brother, who paid for college in the late 60s by working as a entry-level research peon in the sports section at the Courier Express, has been telling me this about Wilson for, oh, 30 years. He has always told me that Wilson, whom he regarded as a petulant, spoiled rich kid who was handed his dad's successful insurance business, could never change his spots.

More than a year ago, someone posted their take on RW, based on Ralph's similarities to his dad.

People like RW who grew up during the depression, fought in WWII have a different take on the world. They've experienced different moments.

Still, the poster pointed out that RW has been spoiled from the beginning. IIRC, his father Ralph Sr was a wealthy man or became wealthy when RW was young.

RW the man is an enigma. Loved by some, hated by others. Having the team his is gift and curse to the region.

If he only cared about money for himself, why would he not sell the team for 800 million dollars today and go spend some of it instead of leaving it ALL for his wife and kids?

Why not sell the team while he's alive and can have a say in who the buyer is? IF he loves the BUFFALO Bills so much that is what he would do. But instead his estate will sell the team to the highest bidder and each and every one of us know that person is not going to keep the team in WNY. I get that he wants his family to get the most $$$$$$$ possible upon the sale of the team, but all he is doing now is playing things out, waiting for the inevitable.

Selling now makes him immortal. Selling to the highest bidder after he passes is good economics for his family.

If your dad is like Ralph Wilson, then he's a doddering nincompoop who basically lucked into a ton of money. Go ahead and respect that. I'll choose to live in reality.

He is a doddering nincompoop who basically lucked into a ton of money. I've been saying that all along. But he kept my team in my city, and gave birth to my football fandom. So I have a lifelong appreciation for that, even though my football dad's a moron.

But the real question is, since when do you live in reality? :thumbdown: