And with the 11th Pick in the 2009 NFL Draft

Nightcrawler

It has to be a DE unless a top 2 OT falls to them...I'm going to go with Maybin out of Penn State. If he has a strong showing against USC, I think he has a legit shot of being a top 15 pick. I hear a lot of people saying Orakpo, but I don't have too much confidence in Texas players (i.e. Mike Williams (ouch!), Chris Simms, Cedric Benson, Ricky Williams, etc.)

Which player and position would you choose? Obviously, workouts and medical reports we don't have access to, but what do you think and why. Bonus points for strong arguments for what players and position you would take on the 2nd and 3rd round.

--Nightcrawler

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going to go with Everitt Brown.

I wasn't really impressed with his bowl game....but his showing over the season has been impressive....and he looks like he has the frame to get even bigger. We need a pass rush in the worst kind of way and he can provide it.

Then I go with the best available center in the 2nd round.

I wasn't really impressed with his bowl game....but his showing over the season has been impressive....and he looks like he has the frame to get even bigger. We need a pass rush in the worst kind of way and he can provide it.

I know Peter Boulware is the exception, but I have just seen too many FSU DEs go bust. Andre Wadsworth, Jamal Reynolds, Derrick Alexander and Reinard Wilson.

LOL. I agree.

I honestly believe that after the combine, when all the numbers are said and done, that BOTH Orakpo and Brown will be taken before we pick.

That said, I don't like the other DE's at that spot, and I'm hoping we drop down and take TE Jermain Gresham. I've never, and I repeat never, seen someone as smooth as him run and catch the ball. I truly think that adding Jermaine would change the whole dynamic of our offense. He's not a normal TE, he's not even a normal good TE, he's extremely unusual and rare.

It has to be a DE unless a top 2 OT falls to them...I'm going to go with Maybin out of Penn State. If he has a strong showing against USC, I think he has a legit shot of being a top 15 pick. I hear a lot of people saying Orakpo, but I don't have too much confidence in Texas players (i.e. Mike Williams (ouch!), Chris Simms, Cedric Benson, Ricky Williams, etc.)

Which player and position would you choose? Obviously, workouts and medical reports we don't have access to, but what do you think and why. Bonus points for strong arguments for what players and position you would take on the 2nd and 3rd round.

--Nightcrawler

i'd trade down about 10-15 spots and pick up a 2nd rounder, then :

1 Selvie DE/OLB S Florida

2 Mack C Cal

3 Coffman TE Missouri

I honestly believe that after the combine, when all the numbers are said and done, that BOTH Orakpo and Brown will be taken before we pick.

That said, I don't like the other DE's at that spot, and I'm hoping we drop down and take TE Jermain Gresham. I've never, and I repeat never, seen someone as smooth as him run and catch the ball. I truly think that adding Jermaine would change the whole dynamic of our offense. He's not a normal TE, he's not even a normal good TE, he's extremely unusual and rare.

That's more or less how I see it. I'm not going to complain much if they take one at 11, but I'm not really sold on this year's DE class, either. That's not to say that I'm definitely going to be upset if they pick one, but I don't think *any* of them will make much of an immediate impact and I don't think any of them will be truly great. Ideally, I'd like to see them dump Jauron and bring in a coach who will install the 3-4 so we don't feel compelled to draft one of these guys. I think we'd be better off on all counts, anyway. On the other hand, like you, I think Jermaine Gresham is going to be an elite player in the NFL and even though it would cause mass whining amongst the fanbase, I'd be very, very happy if they picked him at 11.

is it even confirmed if maybin is coming out? he's a redshirt sophomore.

Nothing is confirmed yet, but he's shot up draft boards and, in most likelihood, will be the top pass rusher selected if he decides to come out early.

I selfishly, as a PENN STATE fan, would like to see him return to school (especially since he really backed into the starting role and could use more seasoning), but if he's that hot a commodity, then I wish him well if he gives the pros a shot.

--Nightcrawler

Benson's resurrected.

If you watched much CIN ball this season (which means you watch the NFL inside a padded room :censored: ), He hits hard, picks holes well, has very good burst, speed, and good hands.

I think he will be a desirable FA.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2008122.../812290383/1066

I have no problem with Chase Coffman but if the Bills take a TE with the 11th pick i will puke. See Vernon Davis. No TE is worth a top 12 pick.

Chase Coffman probably won't go until R3, so I think you have little to fear if he's the player they want at the position.

As far as taking a TE high, it always depends upon the player in question and the other players available. Looking back on the 1997 draft, I imagine that most of the 12 teams drafting ahead of the Chiefs that year wished they'd picked Tony Gonzales instead.