Franchise Greer

BillsVet

With Jabari Greer due to hit free agency this off-season, Buffalo will face a question about whom to retain at CB. Both Youboty and Greer are up after 09, meaning they'll have some decisions to make at the position.

The reality is Buffalo cannot keep Greer and McGee, with McKelvin in the mix. Either JG or TM will go, and I suspect it will be Greer because his contract is up now.

That said, franchise him and get a pick instead of letting him walk out the door. While he's not the name that Clements was after 06, JG will get significant attention on the UFA market. If the Bills have learned anything, they'll franchise Greer with the sole intent of trading him. I highly doubt they'll get stuck with a franchise tender as too many teams like CLE, STL, DET, and others need a NFL ready CB. Picking up a 3rd gives this team options in the draft and sets them up to move around if necessary.

Then again, it's the Buffalo front office, where amateur scouting VPs aren't in the "inner circle."

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I say pay Greer. McGee is a free agent next year, he won't be retained in my opinion because it will be heading into an uncapped year. Our cash to cap thing won't be able to compete with somebody like Washington offering him a 5 year/30 million dollar deal with 20 million coming in the first year (or something to that effect).

Greer is bigger, he's younger, and he seems to make more plays. I'm not going to say he's better than McGee, but the two are very close. Greer can be retained for cheaper, and in 2 or 3 years will likely be a better player than McGee anyway.

Greer isn't worth franchise money, thus the Bills wouldn't be able to trade him. Especially coming off an injury that cost him 4 games.

You severely underestimate the UFA market which increasingly has fewer decent players on it. As the cap rises, teams can pay more to retain their players. For those teams that notoriously draft poorly, they'll always be looking for the quick fix to make up for their inept drafting.

Greer will command Corey Webster type money, as Chris Brown mentioned the latter in his recent blog post. Most people haven't heard of Webster, but he got 43.5M with 20M guaranteed. I'm sure Pro Personnel scouts know Greer, especially with 2 INT's returned for TD this year. His durability won't be as big a concern, especially with the cap rising reportedly another 4-5M this offseason. EDIT: STL, CLE, DET, SEA, NO, and KC all have huge needs at CB. Greer will have suitors with or without the tag.

I'm all for keeping Greer, but not with a frachise tag. Way too much money. I say we make him a decent offer and that's it. McGee is a good starter for at least two more years. I've seen enough of McKelvin to be convinced that he's ready to start full time. He has Pro Bowls in his near future. Corner looks to be a promising nickel back. That sort of leaves Greer as the odd man out. This is why I can't be in favour of franchising him, that's too much money tied up in one position where we seem to have good depth.

However, since McGee is 28 and Greer 25, coupled with McGee's contract expiring after next year I wouldn't have a problem with siging Greer and then letting McGee walk after next year or try and trade him maybe. So long as the FO is confident that McKelvin and Greer can be their long term solution at corner.

McGee's about as good a player as he's gonna be but Greer may still have some upside.

In any case, it certainly won't be an easy decision to make.

You severely underestimate the UFA market which increasingly has fewer decent players on it. As the cap rises, teams can pay more to retain their players. For those teams that notoriously draft poorly, they'll always be looking for the quick fix to make up for their inept drafting.

Greer will command Corey Webster type money, as Chris Brown mentioned the latter in his recent blog post. Most people haven't heard of Webster, but he got 43.5M with 20M guaranteed. I'm sure Pro Personnel scouts know Greer, especially with 2 INT's returned for TD this year. His durability won't be as big a concern, especially with the cap rising reportedly another 4-5M this offseason. EDIT: STL, CLE, DET, SEA, NO, and KC all have huge needs at CB. Greer will have suitors with or without the tag.

Actually i can see us not bringing Greer back and giving Mcgee BIG money and i wont mind it

(McGee, Leodis, Youboty, And Corner Whitner and a 3rd round pick at free safety) sounds good

With Jabari Greer due to hit free agency this off-season, Buffalo will face a question about whom to retain at CB. Both Youboty and Greer are up after 09, meaning they'll have some decisions to make at the position.

The reality is Buffalo cannot keep Greer and McGee, with McKelvin in the mix. Either JG or TM will go, and I suspect it will be Greer because his contract is up now.

That said, franchise him and get a pick instead of letting him walk out the door. While he's not the name that Clements was after 06, JG will get significant attention on the UFA market. If the Bills have learned anything, they'll franchise Greer with the sole intent of trading him. I highly doubt they'll get stuck with a franchise tender as too many teams like CLE, STL, DET, and others need a NFL ready CB. Picking up a 3rd gives this team options in the draft and sets them up to move around if necessary.

Then again, it's the Buffalo front office, where amateur scouting VPs aren't in the "inner circle."

I have a hard time believing that franchising Greer will be effective. Greer is simply not an upper echelon cornerback. Sure, someone will pay him the money, but there won't be the same level of interest that Nate generated in his free agent year. The time to franchise a cornerback was with Nate Clements. Like most of his other moves in "rebuilding" this team, Marv screwed it up.

This is just one of those things where you let the man walk and call it a day. The Bills have promising youngsters at cornerback and they should focus on taking offers for their first round pick so that they can move down and acquire as many picks as humanly possible.

Once again.. a stupid idea to franchise a mediocre player. If we would franchise Greer, he would be guaranteed top dollar corner back pay. Then, if the Bills try and trade him, no one would want him because they would have to pay him that ungodly amount of money.

dumb idea

they should try and sign him, and make a good effort, corners aren't the key element of the tampa 2 defense, fast attacking lineman are, so lets keep our Greer $$ and spend it on a a free agent Defensive End to go with Schobel. And draft a defensive end, unless they are in love with Ellis, whom we've seen nothing of as yet.. and draft O linemen,... and do not draft a tight end..

Once again.. a stupid idea to franchise a mediocre player. If we would franchise Greer, he would be guaranteed top dollar corner back pay. Then, if the Bills try and trade him, no one would want him because they would have to pay him that ungodly amount of money.

dumb idea

Actually they wouldn't have to pay him.

When you tag and trade a player you don't trade the Franchise contract. You lift the tag prior to the trade and allow them to sign whatever deal they worked out.

A Franchise tag does not immediately set in stone a top contract. It's flexible and reversible right up to the start of the season.

I think we should find a way to keep him......While I do think McKelvin & Corner have come on, its nice to have a veteran out there on the field for us. Plus I think hes played pretty well, well enough I think Buffalo should retain him. I dont see any logic to letting him go.

The problem is the player can sign the offer sheet at any time and the contract is then guaranteed. If I was Greer as soon as they put the franchise tag on me I would sign the offer sheet and get the average salary of the top five CBs which is too much for a player of his talents.

And people were laughing at the money SF paid Clements.

When you tag and trade a player you don't trade the Franchise contract. You lift the tag prior to the trade and allow them to sign whatever deal they worked out.

A Franchise tag does not immediately set in stone a top contract. It's flexible and reversible right up to the start of the season.

Except it can bite you if the player signs the FT tender. THen the Bills are on the hook for a 8M or whatever the tag going rate is for the next year for Greer and probably a hold out.

That is what happened to Max Starks in Pittsburgh. RIght now he is starting because of injuries, but the Steelers shot themselves in the foot when they were stuck with his 8M salary for a backup tackle, while your starter was earning 2M.

You can never have enough CB on the roster

The Bills would be stupid to let Greer go......period

With tom Brady, The Chad and Farve in the division, why would you let a veteran CB with upside go????

I like McKelvin and Corner but you still need a strong nickel back

They would have one of the deepest CB set in the league if you resign him

I would trade or cut Kelsey, start Denney and use the money to resign Greer

But it does take effect IF the player signs the tender. Usually players don't sign it as they assume they will get a better offer. In this case if the Bill's franchise me, I'd immediately sign the tender as that like would be the best offer he's ever see. So doubt that will work.

They can always designate him the Transition Tag Player, which is the top 10 players' average. You of course can still lose him by not matching an offer sheet, but you can do the sign and trade deal just like a franchise tag...

The transition tag is a joke...I think most NFL clubs don't even consider it an option anymore after the Hutchison/Burleson debacle of a couple years back.

Greer is gone.

McGee will be gone as well.

If they keep these vet CBs, the front office won't have a convenient excuse to waste premium picks on more CBs. :blush:

If they